Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the new guy?! (when Classic Rock bands change line ups)

• 13-09-2012 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it works sometimes it don't and sometimes its just controversial regardless!

Deep Purple has always been something of a carousel of course and changing members has tended to split the vote with only one exception - when the late Jon Lord retired to be replaced by the Don Airey who was a perfect fit style wise.

The obvious WTF moment is probably Paul Rodgers taking on lead vocal duties for Queen on their The Cosmos Rocks album of which I have not heard a note and intend to keep it like that to be honest.

Who rubbed you up the wrong way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

The most recent and probably the most embarassing is Yes, bad enough they replace Jon Anderson with Benoit David but then they replace him with Jon Davison and Chris Squire says it made good business sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

One that worked for me was Ozzie replaced by Ronnie James Dio. I liked Sabbath with Ozzie, but the time was right for a change, and Heaven & Hell pretty much proved that the change was a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jake the dog

I think Bowie constant change of bandmates worked well throughout his career and hence he chose players that helped shaped his music. I couldn't see the "Spiders" being able to cut Heroes.

I think Fleetwood Mac's shapeshifting from The Dystopian Blues rock of Green Manalishi to the LA cool of Rhiannon has blessed us with two great eras from this great band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Ringo Starr replacing Pete Best in 1962, mad stuff. Just think of how big that band could have been!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I saw these guys:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzarek%E2%80%93Krieger
    When they were the doors of the 21st century in the point.

Ian Astbury of the Cult was the lead singer. I was skeptical but he embodied Jim. They put on one hell of a show.

Formation keeps changing but they play exclusively doors songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I saw these guys:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzarek%E2%80%93Krieger
    When they were the doors of the 21st century in the point.

Ian Astbury of the Cult was the lead singer. I was skeptical but he embodied Jim. They put on one hell of a show.

Formation keeps changing but they play exclusively doors songs.

Yeah, I was at that. It was a good gig but it seemed like they were there own cover band a bit.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

It's a funny question....It depends really.

Ron Wood is still seen as the 'new boy' in the Rolling Stones, despite being with them for the thick end of 40 years!

He replaced Mick Taylor, who everyone has forgotten about in Stones mythology.

Of course, Mick replaced Brian Jones, when Brian was unable to make a meaningful contribution to the band & was sacked by them.

Brian, in the early stages was the 'Leader' of the band due to his musical prowess. He lost his balance of power in the band due to his lack of songwriting ability. This became important in the wake of the Beatles.

Speaking of which. Any hope of a Beatle reunion evaporated when a deluded animal murdered John Lennon in 1980.

Who could replace him?:confused:

Outside of the major bands, it doesn't matter who's in them, as long as the music sounds the same(ish).

Aside from hardcore fans, who cares less about the lineup changes in bands like AC/DC or Whitesnake?

Take Aerosmith for example. Does any body really really know or care about the band members aside from Steve Tyler & Joe Perry?

As long as they're there, it's an Aerosmith concert in most people's eyes.

Too drunk to carry on, but hopefully you'll get my drift............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I

Outside of the major bands, it doesn't matter who's in them, as long as the music sounds the same(ish).

Aside from hardcore fans, who cares less about the lineup changes in bands like AC/DC or Whitesnake?

I still regard Brian Johnson as the new singer in AC//DC even though hes in the job over 30 years!

AC/DC without Bon Scott was and still is a huge deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I remember being devastated when Graham Bonnet was replaced by Joe Lynn Turner in Rainbow (was too young to remember Ronnie Dio). Love Down to Earth album, aside from the two big hits there was some great songs on that album.
    Later found out Richie constantly replaced people in the band for nearly every album.

Advertisement