Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much petrol do you get at the pump?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Wtf is this horse **** ... Petrol !?? i'm a real man, i drive a diesel, it smells' and emit's a cloud of black Tar, ash, and fire when i put the foot down in third !!

If you drive on petrol these days you might as well pick up tampons while your dropping the kids off to soccer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I never try to round up, I jut fill it up until it is full. I don't see the point in putting in 20 quid here and there - you spend the same anyway but have to go to the petrol station more. I understand some people may only have Xmoney left for petrol, but I had a friend with a good job, good money, who used to fill up 10 euros only for no good reason.

It makes me sad that my little fiesta that I bought a few years ago used to be filled up with 40-something euro, I remember being surprised when I passed the 50 mark, and for the first time ever I passed the 60 euro mark this week! And while I count it as a full tank, I have never seen a red or yellow light, I never let my car go that low.

Not so long ago I felt really sad when I realised the person before me had bought 5euro in petrol. Maybe they don't drive much, but I couldn't help thinking they were so poor all they put in was a fiver:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Filled up the bike this afternoon, took €18.81 to fill it (petrol light was on but I had a little left in the tank). Full tank gets me around 300kms :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I brim it, more liquid means less free space which means less space for the petrol to evaporate into thus becoming mainly useless as it gets vented out from pressure build up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Wtf is this horse **** ... Petrol !?? i'm a real man, i drive a diesel, it smells' and emit's a cloud of black Tar, ash, and fire when i put the foot down in third !!

If you drive on petrol these days you might as well pick up tampons while your dropping the kids off to soccer!

There I was thinking all those type of people were driving dCi QashQais (just from observation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Sala wrote: »

Not so long ago I felt really sad when I realised the person before me had bought 5euro in petrol. Maybe they don't drive much, but I couldn't help thinking they were so poor all they put in was a fiver:(

A lot of garages I know have a minimum €10 delivery limit. Yeah I've come across this too used to put it down to the lawnmower petrol, not the case anymore unfortunately:(

staker wrote: »
    A lot of garages I know have a minimum €10 delivery limit. Yeah I've come across this too used to put it down to the lawnmower petrol, not the case anymore unfortunately:(

is timbuktu a "more interesting" name for Dublin? cause ya wouldn't see that codology where I'm from. although it says 'min 2 litres' on most pumps just so the accuracy will meet what it says in the spec sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

What's the bhp on it?

pretty sure its 90bhp in the c4 although it does come with more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

I fill the tank 2 times a week at the moment its 80 beans a fill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I brim it, more liquid means less free space which means less space for the petrol to evaporate into thus becoming mainly useless as it gets vented out from pressure build up.

Yes, but the energy required to carry around that weight of fuel would negate that advantage.

My car usually runs on fumes.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Yes, but the energy required to carry around that weight of fuel would negate that advantage.

My car usually runs on fumes.:cool:

A full tank of fuel is ca. 70L MAX, a litre of fuel is about 850 grams. SO this is about 59 kg. Not much of an extra weight to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What's the bhp on it?
    Its 90bhp but I'll be getting it remapped and putting in a K&N air filter (more so for covienience than performance) which will add at least another 30bhp.

It's the low weight that makes the difference though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Same here, fumes. I simply don't usually have the money to fill it. I'm not the only one. I spoke to an Aer Arann pilot, a Captain, yes a Captain. He told me he only had €2.50 to put in his fuel tank. Not his plane fortunately.

I personally have filled a plane with €200 Euro of fuel, (not my money) and then put a fiver in my car.

Right not my Golf is on reserve, 15 miles. It goes quiet about 40 miles.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Omackeral wrote: »
    Simple enough, how much do you spend on fuel when you go to the forecourt. Do you vary it up or do you usually get the same amount each time? Do you have a quirk whereby you must have it end on a particular amount. Are you exact?

This morning I put 42.23 euro into my petrol tank for the sheer hell of it. I am not conforming to rounding it off anymore. YOLO and all that. :p

bout 3 fiddy:D

A full tank of fuel is ca. 70L MAX, a litre of fuel is about 850 grams. SO this is about 59 kg. Not much of an extra weight to be honest.

Lookit, I was just trying to cover up the fact that I can't afford a full tank of fuel.

Damm you Scientists!

Damm you all to Hell!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

My orange light is practically permanently on. If I park on a hill facing down sometimes the light goes off so to save me a trip to the station I often park on the hill behind my house. I once put in E15 and my light was still on.

I might cut the cable to the light and then I'll never need to put petrol in again

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Pay at pump option at tesco is the only way. Takes days for them to take it from your bank and by then u have it well spent..! Petrol on tick..woohoo! (except for the charges the bank throws on top)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

30 euros a week, every wendsday that little prick of a light comes on, thursday get me self some petrol and the cycle continues, but tomorrow Im going to fill the tank and see what I can get into the aul girl

astonaidan wrote: »
    30 euros a week, every wendsday that little prick of a light comes on, thursday get me self some petrol and the cycle continues, but tomorrow Im going to fill the tank and see what I can get into the aul girl

how much mileage do you get out of that? about 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

10 euros just about fills my vespa from empty, tomorro's 120 mile drive will see it being filled twice :( will have some leftover though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I was shooting the shrt with a lad today as he filled his truck, we were chatting a fair long while and eventually the nozzle clicked on full and he hung it back up. €994.00:eek: The fecker held 600 liters... Diferent world. I burnt €130.00 yesterday on my own van, filled it again this morning. Burnt half a tank. I do not get the "puting in a tenner" bit at all. I may be out of touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

ScumLord wrote: »
    Its 90bhp but I'll be getting it remapped and putting in a K&N air filter (more so for covienience than performance) which will add at least another 30bhp.

It's the low weight that makes the difference though.

I got an Astra GTC with a 2.0 litre CDTI recently - I can do around 1,000km on one tank (about 50 litres). That's Dublin to Sligo five times for €80 odd.

And 165hp too, which is nice!

Pottler wrote: »
    . I do not get the "puting in a tenner" bit at all. I may be out of touch.

No, it seems your work involves a lot of driving.

Most people just commute a few Miles 2 work & then come back again in the evenings.

20/30 euro p/w would be alright for a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Back in '83 my brother put 22p worth of petrol in the car. It was all the money we had. It got us home the four miles. I never thought times would be hard as that again but I recently put €3 in my car.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I got an Astra GTC with a 2.0 litre CDTI recently - I can do around 1,000km on one tank (about 50 litres). That's Dublin to Sligo five times for €80 odd.

I wish my 1.4 petrol GTC could do that.

:eek:

The most I've gotten out of a tank is just over 1400klm. Typical is 900=1000klm full tank.

The most I've gotten out of a tank is just over 1400klm. .

I might be jealous if it wasn't a Peugot. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I get 550-600 miles on a 45litre tank which is unbelievable compared to what I had before, the tax is 140 and the insurance is a bit less as well.

It feels like I have free motoring.

I do not get the "puting in a tenner" bit at all. I may be out of touch.

If a tenner is all you can afford and it gets you where you're going (and back) what's not to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Usually €50 but that's not going as far anymore.

About the filling up by €10 or so, what happens if you have to go somewhere in a rush/emergency? "Hold on, I just need some fuel.."

Guy I know of used to fill up a petrol can with a fivers worth everytime when he went to the pumps and keep it in the boot. He'd drive the car until it ran out, get out and pour the can in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

This is going to sound incredibly thick, but how exactly do you "brim" it?

I assume there is some sort of mechanism that prevents the tank from overflowing?

I usually try and fire in as much as I can and I would love to "brim" it. But I usually only throw in 50 or so (maybe get Yorkie or a double decker) and the needle is always just short of the "F" sign.

If a tenner is all you can afford and it gets you where you're going (and back) what's not to get?

You're talking to Pottler. A man who built his business up from the dirt. A self made-man who hires and fires. A man who has no time for time wasters, losers or the people who work in Chadwicks.

This is a man who doesn't have time not to fill his tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

I usually put in about 50e diesel..

A day... :(

Aenaes wrote: »
    Guy I know of used to fill up a petrol can with a fivers worth everytime when he went to the pumps and keep it in the boot. He'd drive the car until it ran out, get out and pour the can in.

Did he go by the name "The General"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I have a 50km round trip to work, 5 days a week. Usually put in €50 to cover this, and a few trips to the shop etc. during the week. Takes me about 35mins each way usually, and would put in a bit more if I was going somewhere particular

If I were to get the bus to work (if a decent bus service were available) it would be 50min bus eireann journey (€16.50 return daily), then change bus for local bus (another 20min journey €3 return).

Soo, €19.50 x 5 = €97.50 and a load of hassle with the bus!

Or €50 diesel, my own music, smoke, daydream and A to B with no hassle at all!

Screw you environment, I'm sticking with my lovely comfortable car. Even though the cost of fuel has risen, it's still cheaper than public transport for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I have a petrol and an lpg tank in my Landcruiser but I almost exclusively use the lpg - fill it up every time I go to a petrol station and every now and again I run about $20 of petrol through it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

get 53 mpg in my punto and costs roughly 60 euro to fill, keeps me going for a long time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

You're talking to Pottler. A man who built his business up from the dirt. A self made-man who hires and fires. A man who has no time for time wasters, losers or the people who work in Chadwicks.

This is a man who doesn't have time not to fill his tank.
    :DFeck off Star. I don't - You're gonna burn what you're gonna burn so why get a tenner? Fill the feckin thing. It won't use less because you minged in the fuel.:) Ok, if you are broke, get €3, fair enough and alls fine, if you're not broke, just buy the bl00dy fuel. I know lads who are doing fine for money who get €7 of petrol in the car at a time. WTF??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Back in '83 my brother put 22p worth of petrol in the car. It was all the money we had. It got us home the four miles. I never thought times would be hard as that again but I recently put €3 in my car.:(

Jesus Man that's rough :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

I always fill my car up ever since i started driving. Not into that 10Euro here and there crap.

Golf 1.4 petrol 3door.
    93euro cost to fill yesterday, thats after driving for 40 miles once the yellow light came on.

local trips i get about 480miles..
    Long Journey which is Once or twice a year about 500miles.

My first car Was a new 2001 fiesta i got for my Birthday. Used to cost about 42Euro to fill. That was when i was a 'poor' student at college.

Carson10 wrote: »
    I always fill my car up ever since i started driving. Not into that 10Euro here and there crap.

My first car Was a new 2001 fiesta i got for my Birthday. Used to cost about 42Euro to fill. That was when i was a 'poor' student at college.

Ha Ha! *bitter, jealous laugh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Normally just fill up the car.

Id prefer to spend less time in a petrol station a week and more time driving.

Last time I filled up it was 64 something.

My polo was running on vapour though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

eth0 wrote: »
    how much mileage do you get out of that? about 40?

Nah I only drive a 1.4, get about 80-100 i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I put in €50 every 7 or 8 days. I filled a few weeks ago as I was heading to Dublin and it took €101 to fill it to the neck. I get roughly 600-700kms to a tank.

There's no point filling the tank if you only do small mileage each week as (1) Your carrying the exta weight of the fuel around which actually uses more fuel and (2) in the case of petrol engines, fuel loses its octane rating so it may be 95ron when you fill but if the tank does 2 or 3 weeks, it may only be at 91/90 which means the engine will use more fuel to run properly. Put in what you need for a week only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

best ive managed on a full tank is 580km which is near 70euro. back in college now so il be putting in 50€ and that should do me for driving to college monday to friday :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

brimming in winter especially in ireland seems a little silly, same volume of fuel, a lot more weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

:DFeck off Star. I don't - You're gonna burn what you're gonna burn so why get a tenner? Fill the feckin thing. It won't use less because you minged in the fuel.:) Ok, if you are broke, get €3, fair enough and alls fine, if you're not broke, just buy the bl00dy fuel. I know lads who are doing fine for money who get €7 of petrol in the car at a time. WTF??
    70L of petrol weighs in at around 54KG or so. Diesel is slightly heavier. Technically speaking, putting in €7's worth (Or 4L...) would result in the car being lighter and more economical.

But in real life, the miniscule amount of money you save by having a lighter car is lost again when you have to refuel every day (Or every week if you've got a TDi ;)).

The most I've gotten out of a tank is just over 1400klm. .

I might be jealous if it wasn't a Peugot. :D
    You mean WRC winner two years on the trot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Whilst the fuel gauge is not a definate indication, since my last fill just over a 3/4 of a 52L tank used, and just over 500km done. About 300 of that on national roads with the rest being an urban daily commute and local runs. Have only filled the car a few times so have yet to work out a fuel comsumption based on my own driving.
    keith16 wrote: »
    This is going to sound incredibly thick, but how exactly do you "brim" it?

I assume there is some sort of mechanism that prevents the tank from overflowing?

I usually try and fire in as much as I can and I would love to "brim" it. But I usually only throw in 50 or so (maybe get Yorkie or a double decker) and the needle is always just short of the "F" sign.

I assume its filling it till you get the click from the pump. Lift out the nozzle a little and fill alittle more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

About €25 to fill my bike (BMW R1100S) and I get about 160kms if I'm light on the throttle.. About 100kms if I give it the welly.

With the price of juice these days I'm very light on the trottle ~ And Topas you bastard with your bastard prices :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement