Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Givi racks and boxes

• 13-09-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about picking up some boxes for the GSX1400. Money is very tight at the moment to say the least.

Forgive my ignorance but am I right in thinking that I would have to buy racks specifically for my bike and the boxes are universal fit thereafter? If so, will older GIVI boxes fit my bike then?

My uncle has a top box and two side boxes on his GSXF1100 but the boxes must be 10 years old. Will they still fit a modern rack system? That way, I could buy all the hardware and borrow his boxes until I can find the money to buy my own.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You can always get universal mounts (but I stand to be corrected on this) for any bike. I was after a Givi setup for my FZ6 not to long ago but because the exhaust is mounted directly under the seat and tail I needed an extra bracket on top of the normal bracket and it worked out a fortune. I had a quick look on fleabay and seen all manner of options without breaking the bank.

Have a look on Dungdeal and flea bay not to mention adverts you might be lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its not that simple, even Givi have a couple of different quick release mounts for their top boxes. There is the Mono-key and the Mono-rack.
    For the side cases, you basically have two steel rectangles that allow different attachments to be fitted that in turn allow specific cases that hang from the attachment points to be fitted.
    There is plenty of choice, Givi, Krauser, Hepco and Becker, Moto-Detail, Shad.
    Have a think about what kind of luggage you want and need, maybe soft panniers and a top box might be a better solution.
    Soft luggage is a good option as well, its not ****e anymore and you can get nice sets that look good and hold a lot of stuff for very little.
    Saying that I do prefer a good big top box for security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Would anyone drive around with just soft luggage on? I would be afraid someone would nick it. It would be safe at home and at work.. it's just when I got to the shops really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Would anyone drive around with just soft luggage on? I would be afraid someone would nick it. It would be safe at home and at work.. it's just when I got to the shops really.
    I've no problem with soft luggage, it just depends where you are and what kind of scum are around where you park it.
    Most of the soft panniers can detach pretty quick and some even convert to backpacks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

cantdecide wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but am I right in thinking that I would have to buy racks specifically for my bike and the boxes are universal fit thereafter? If so, will older GIVI boxes fit my bike then?

For a top box, most bikes will have some sort of a rack available. Givi do a universal mounting plate that will fit any of their Monokey top cases onto a rack.
    My uncle has a top box and two side boxes on his GSXF1100 but the boxes must be 10 years old. Will they still fit a modern rack system? That way, I could buy all the hardware and borrow his boxes until I can find the money to buy my own.

Givi have two systems, Monokey (bikes) and Monolock (scooters) basically. The Monokey system allows top or side cases to fit on the same mount. Givi cases from ten years ago should fit on a monokey mount no problem.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement