Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help to buy RC plane build kit!

Options
  • 13-09-2012 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking to buy a good quality build your own rc plane kit. Its a gift for a beginner but with experience in mechanics so maybe something of moderate difficulty would be prepared to spend upto €500.
    Would also consider boat kits.
    my dad recently retired and needs a hobby, and i think this would be right up his street.

I have of course tried googling RC planes but that only left me more confused :(, Any advice on brands/sites/kits/models from anyone with exerience on the matter will be much appreciated as I dont even know where to begin looking!

Thanks
    Joy :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭privilegue

Hi Joy,

this isnt as easy as you may think but I'll try to help. There is a couple of questions you will have to answer first tho.

1) Does he have a controller (e.g. a Radio Transmitter?)
    Check this link: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM6600

If he does not have a radio then you will have to get this first before he will be able to fly anything. (this will set you back by about 200 EUR - DO NOT BUY in those Modelshops throughout Ireland, they are too expensive (60EUR or more over the usual price)) - the above is just a suggestion and I believe it to be a good beginner radio.

2) Does he have any experience at all flying RC planes? If not then you want to get a "KIT" that is classified as Trainer Plane.

3) In addition to the above he will need tools, like a Soldering Iron / Sharp Modelling Knife / Hot Glue Gun and several other things.

Just helping so that new people do not make the same mistakes that I made.

Send me a PM if you have further questions or want more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dude man

Hello,

Well I must agree with "privilegue" Ireland shops for the most part are over priced, but isnt everything in Ireland! One shop I found near me that is still in business because of the good prices and helpful staff: Model heli Services - Inch, co clare. They deal with airplanes and Helis and all kind of parts for both but also deal with some cars. Over 24 years in the busy of RC from competitions to repairs they will have you covered. You can ring them and ask what your looking for and see what the cost is compared to items being posted from another country. Just google "model Heli Services" You can also try "hobbyking" they have fair prices but postage can get exspensive at times.

I would have to ad that a simulator is the way to go with say a DX6i transmitter, this way you can learn to fly before you destroy your first plane. Simulators help BIG TIME! and save you money in the long run. One sim that is fairly priced and great quality is Phoenix RC Flight Simulator, cost about 80 euro. You will need to buy a controller and DX6i is again fairly priced and works great with the sim and has model memory so if you do get further into the hobby you can add more planes or heli models! If you want a shop you can walk into and look around and pick there brain and get a fair price...Model Heli Services is it.

Hope this helps....any quastions just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Have you considered a car/truck kit? Much more mechanically orientated IMO and no need for hours on a flight sim either.

Get him to join the local rc crawler club ;);) and he'll be stylin' in no time.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dude man

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Have you considered a car/truck kit? Much more mechanically orientated IMO and no need for hours on a flight sim either.

Get him to join the local rc crawler club ;);) and he'll be stylin' in no time.:D

Yes RC cars are a good place to start to understand RC in general and can cost a bit less...but much more to learn in RC planes and helis then in cars or crawlers including mechanically, ever build a 450 size heli? Set up and tuned for first flight?

Nothing like seeing the model you build take to the skies, and have you ever seen FPV (first person view). That's what I enjoy and it is the best way to RC anything! Anyway, good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 joy.herron

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the tips. I still havent purchased anything but i will be this month for sure.
    Thanks so much! I will keep you informed hopefully I will have pics once we've built our first one :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement