Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If first contact was made....

Options
  • 13-09-2012 9:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

If an Alien race was to make contact with Earth looking to make 1st contact, who should be our representative and where should it take place?

I can imagine it would be high jacked by the superpowers and they would feck it up:(

I think the most peaceful people would be the Tibetan monks and a place like Easter Island would be good...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Arnie should be the first to meet them, just in case they try to start something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

If he was still around I'd nominate Hunter S. Thompson, if only for the hilarious account afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

The pope of course !!!
    & if their anything like Mars attacks they'll zap him win win
    seriously Stephen Hawkins would be who I'd pick, but unfortunately some politician would want the historic glory of first contact.

Not wanting to go off topic, but I've recently wondered what would happen if Aliens returned to earth after being here a few centeries ago, & at that time made friends with the native American Indians, & took some with them. On return they find the American continent colonised & demand the Americans to get out & return the land back to the American & Alien Indians, -make an interesting sci-fi movie.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If he was still around I'd nominate Hunter S. Thompson, if only for the hilarious account afterwards.

Fear & Loathing 2: First Contact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I think brian dobson from RTE should be the representative to question their master alien race. And the location of first contact should be mick wallace's house as it would be a good news story.

Mick wallace has been nominated as the speaker for intergalactic keggers in full relation to our new visitors from the Hebrides of outer space. Could be a good story here as well for RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Cynical Shed is cynical. Sorry, i can't think of anyone that won't have their (or their employers) best interests at heart.
    We'd be the last to hear about it too, probably.

But optimistically, i'd say someone with savage language skills would be handy. And someone with savage body language skills too. And a negotiator.
    And far in the distance maybe a ring of miniguns.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Jedward!

:pac:

Another question to add here...Say if the aliens are energy-form beings ? would any language work with them. Who is to say other life-forms or alien intelligences have a body/arms or legs and a head ?. A lot of question marks here but just say... ?

The best form of hello would be to give said alien or energy-life-form a chocolate chip cookie and see where it goes from there, better than any language i think after they taste the thing, unless they are allergic to said chocolate-chip cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,The UN are way ahead of you.
    It looks like Mrs Mazlan Othman,a Malaysian Astrophyscist,would meet out Alien friends.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8025832/UN-to-appoint-space-ambassador-to-greet-alien-visitors.html

OP,The UN are way ahead of you.
    It looks like Mrs Mazlan Othman,a Malaysian Astrophyscist,would meet out Alien friends.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8025832/UN-to-appoint-space-ambassador-to-greet-alien-visitors.html

That's correct. She won't fully admit it though but we know it is written in her objectives.

Anyway, if another alien civilization was coming here, there might be a prime directive to stop them interfering or entering our solar system, especially one that is only starting to progress forward. There could be stacks of different alien intelligences out there but are keeping their distance from us for the well-being of our own health and well-being ?. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Tomk1 wrote: »
    The pope of course !!!
    & if their anything like Mars attacks they'll zap him win win
    seriously Stephen Hawkins would be who I'd pick, but unfortunately some politician would want the historic glory of first contact.

Not wanting to go off topic, but I've recently wondered what would happen if Aliens returned to earth after being here a few centeries ago, & at that time made friends with the native American Indians, & took some with them. On return they find the American continent colonised & demand the Americans to get out & return the land back to the American & Alien Indians, -make an interesting sci-fi movie.

I assume you mean Stephen 'Hawking' ?
    You may pick him but I'm guessing he'd refuse.. He doesn't seem to like the little green fellers.

"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach. If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given IMHO the Religion orgs. represent the best of humanity, a delegation of them should be first responders given how most other groups are in trall to the various government/states,

Manach wrote: »
    Given IMHO the Religion orgs. represent the best of humanity, a delegation of them should be first responders given how most other groups are in trall to the various government/states,

Well if the aliens like being fondled then maybe, but imo religion should be kept well away from such an encounter or visit of an extraterrestrial intelligence. I think the Navajo indians should be the ones to deal with first contact, that's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Patrick Stewart, for no other reason than if the aliens received our TV shows, they'll know who he is, and that he commands a starship :pac:

NO RELIGIOUS FREAKS, though. Most of them make Hitler look like Gandhi with their warped views.

the_syco wrote: »
    Patrick Stewart, for no other reason than if the aliens received our TV shows, they'll know who he is, and that he commands a starship :pac:

NO RELIGIOUS FREAKS, though. Most of them make Hitler look like Gandhi with their warped views.

I concur, with a cup of earl grey tea.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

the_syco wrote: »

Other side of that coin is a potential Galaxy Quest scenario.

In all aspects of meeting alien intelligent life...We are at this episode in technology unfortunately, civilization 0, it wouldn't go down too well i'd assume...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Stephen Hawkins, it would show to the aliens that we do place a value on intellectual thinking regardless of the physical and material.

Of course, but we all know who would be the first to talk and associate themselves to an alien visitor/visitors, and that would be the military of whatever country, as presidents don't even have an over-say of military high-command. The only thing the military would want to negotiate would be their technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icanmunch

eddie hobbs :D

• Advertisement

icanmunch wrote: »
    eddie hobbs :D

I can't see why eddie hobbs would be fruitful in this endeavour as extraterrestrials would or should have no understanding or need for money or sales. Unless he is good at selling planets ?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Zephram Cochrane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Manach wrote: »
    Given IMHO the Religion orgs. represent the best of humanity

Are you seriously for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Since Carl Sagan ain't around I would have to nominate Brian Cox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Since Carl Sagan ain't around I would have to nominate Brian Cox
    We could take a chance and introduce them to Carl's grave. Maybe they can bring him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I would like to think that an independent organisation like the SETI Institute would take responsibility for communication which, to the best of their ability, represented humanity as a whole, rather than any particular vested interest.

Failing that, and depending on how difficult it were to send a return transmission, I would like to think that the intarwebs would save the day. Crowdsource funding, resources and knowledge to send an independent response not representing any particular government or organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

The B-83 nuclear bomb configured for the maximum 1.2 MT yield
    It's the only way to be sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B83_nuclear_bomb

Leaving aside the detection of a signal the most likely
    first contact will be us seeing some sign of Civilization in the cosmos
    A huge structure or pollution or something..
    Also if they do come to earth more likely it will a be a AI robotic probe
    launching satellites into orbit followed by probes to surface.
    Like NASA's mission to mars.

I suggest we destroy the robot probes, satellites and robot mother ship ASAP.
    Best to stay hidden until we have developed interstellar Warfare capability.

The B-83 nuclear bomb configured for the maximum 1.2 MT yield
    only way to be sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B83_nuclear_bomb

Leaving aside the detection of a signal the most likely
    first contact will be us seeing some sign of Civilization in the cosmos
    A huge structure or pollution or something..
    Also if they do come to earth more likely it will a be a AI robotic probe
    launching satellites into orbit followed by probes to surface.

Like NASA's mission to mars.

I suggest we destroy the robot probes, satellites and robot mother ship ASAP.
    Best to stay hidden until we have developed interstellar Warfare capability.

Sounds feasible, that they would send AI probes than sending themselves.

Come to think of it, if they were a thousand years ahead of us their technology would be so fantastic to us we would think their AI robots were real flesh and blood aliens. Not into the anal probe stuff and i hope these programmed AI robots are programmed not to do such humiliating procedures but try and explain this to a programmed robot :eek: Sure the programmed AI robots they send could be programmed to disect all new life-forms they encounter so imagine what bits would be left over after such encounter with said robots.

Unidentified flying anal probes :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Rynox45

Carl Sagan would've been the perfect person to do it in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Amy Mainzer would be another good spokesperson to speak for us all, she talks a bit like Carl Sagan and knows her stuff well.

Advertisement