Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer courses?

• 13-09-2012 10:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

OK So basically I am thinking about doing computer science. For you know code writing etc.... what is the easiest way of getting in and which college or university should I apply for? how many points does it need?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

2012 Points
    UCD 470
    Trinity 450
    DCU 390

I'm not sure on the points for other colleges, but you can check on qualifax. Points will probably increase next year but not as much as they did this year. Check the course requirements also, in DCU you need a C3 in pass Math and in UCD a B3 in pass Math. In Trinity you need to have a C3 in Higher level.

Also, you should try to do some programming in your spare time just to see if you like it. CS courses have one of the highest drop out rates. A lot of people apply for the course without knowing what it involves and end up taking the place of someone who had a genuine interest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lowest points (and I suppose 'easiest' to get into) would be outside Dublin since many people think there is nothing outside Dublin.

Letterkenny? Nice college, good student accommodation.

Computer-related courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

fontdor wrote: »
    OK So basically I am thinking about doing computer science. For you know code writing etc.... what is the easiest way of getting in and which college or university should I apply for? how many points does it need?
    Following on from what spurious said, Computer Science in UCC is 340 and the course there is said to be as good as any of the Dublin colleges which are at least 50 points higher. I aim to be doing that course even though I'm hoping to get much higher points; it's all a matter of location, with more people living in Dublin demand will be higher for the course there.

A lot of smaller colleges have really interesting courses focused on particular aspects like Cloud Computing in CIT. Points for courses like that, or Software Development in CIT, can often be found around 300 points.

Advertisement