Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course on own time

Options
  • 13-09-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

A question of whos right/wrong.
    My wifes employer wants her to do a course, which is a plus in this day and age. But they want her to do it on her own time.

Can she be forced to do a course in her own time, minus pay also?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

My wifes employer wants her to do a course, which is a plus in this day and age. But they want her to do it on her own time.

I'm not sure If she can be forced to do so. Possibly if it is a requirement of the job, she can upskill or lose the job.

It is common to do courses in ones own time, certainly in smaller firms, it's a big plus if they are paying for the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

She can't be "forced" to do it, but she may well be cutting off her nose to spite her face if she refuses to do it.

Tbh, I don't know anyone who's doing a work-related course who isn't doing it on their own time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Some courses run on Saturday or in the evening.. that would save her losing pay to do the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

A previous employer had a problem with one of his staff not wanting to do it. She was entered to the course but didn't attend and was allowed to just fail. She decided to do it rather than have the embarrassment of failing.

Advertisement