Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some feedback about my UPC connection

• 13-09-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

Guys,

UPC Waterford City - 30Mb.

Been with UPC for 3 years at my current address.

Last week or so i have been noticing a lot of jitter when gaming.

Below is a screenshot i took from a 2 hour PingPlotter test to samhain.heanet.ie:

VxHwZ.png

As you can see there is a lot of packet loss at the first hop.

Could this just be explained away as ICMP packets getting dropped when the server is under load?

My hunch is no as it happens during early daytime too and it is the cause of my jitter (random ping spikes during games).

My other buddies all on smart and UPC are all fine whilst playing BF3.

My Scientific Atlanta cable modem is the epc2203 and

Transmit power = Betwen 37 dBmV and 40.4 dBmV
    Receive power = -7.1 dBmV.

I had a UPC guy out awhile back and he said that the transmit was a bit low and it should be nearer the 45 dBmV mark.

Maybe that is the cause of my jitter.

I get full download rates from Usenet, it just the ping sensitive games i have having an issue with.

Thoughts anyone before i ring UPC back up?

Could somebody from Waterford City maybe do a ping plotter test and see if they are getting packet loss ao their first hop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I assume you've turned off IP flood detection and firewall on the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I assume you've turned off IP flood detection and firewall on the router?

I just have their modem. I use my own Router (Asus RT-N16 with DD-WRT) and i have tried taking the router out of the equation with the same results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Try here dude:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1546

(I think it's a new section on boards)

edit: Hmm, it look like they only check in on that page on a tuesday afternnon so maybe here is better.
    You definitely should ring them again anyway, the first call to UPC will always step you through the basic troubleshooting so you want to get that out of the way as soon as possible and then the next time you call you can get a deeper analysis done. You want to make sure that they are testing the correct modem as well so take a photo of the underside of the modem and verify that they are logged into the correct MAC address (I had a long running packet loss problem with them before and it turned out they had the wrong details for my modem on their system).

Try changing the cable between your modem and PC and try pinging a few other addresses like www.rte.ie. Maybe someone from Waterford might report back with similar problems

Try here dude

Cheers for the advice Jumbo.

I have swapped out cables and tried different adresses like rte.ie and google.ie but always packet loss at the first hop.

Phoned them up. They reckon all is good on their end, so a tech is coming out next Tuesday.

• Advertisement

here is a pingplotter graph taken during the night.

Notice the packet loss is reduced dramatically

UROf3.png

Advertisement