Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda in motoring trouble

• 13-09-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

i have read somewhere this evening of a serving garda based in west limerick who appeared in court charged with no tax and no nct, he got a fine of 3k, it makes one wonder does it not, 1.1k per week plus allowances i am led to believe is their weekly wage, not much hope for the rest of us then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

flutered wrote: »
    i have read somewhere this evening of a serving garda based in west limerick who appeared in court charged with no tax and no nct, he got a fine of 3k, it makes one wonder does it not, 1.1k per week plus allowances i am led to believe is their weekly wage, not much hope for the rest of us then.

My friend is a Garda, he barely earns 30,000 a year before tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

flutered wrote: »

Fine of 3,000 for no tax and NCT is very high fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

"One of the most experienced Traffic Corps members" in Limerick, wait a minute - are these the guys who hide behind a bush with their hair dryers catching motorists going 5kmp/h over the speed limit on dual carriageways? And now it's been found that he had neither tax or NCT? :eek::eek::eek:

Pretty bad that he tried to worm his way out of the charge saying the Inspector could not have seen him on either of the two days he had no tax or NCT on his car. Maybe after this he'll get a bit of self-respect and go out and do some proper policing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It might be high but no Garda could possibly have any sort of excuse , also they should be setting an example.

• Advertisement

It's not a fine - it is a contribution to be made to St Vincent De Paul. A final decision on the matter has not been made yet until the 31st of October.
    It seems the Judge is aware of the severe consequences this could have on his job. A fair enough point, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

The Karma Bus :)

Last time he pisses in Inspector Reidy's cornflakes I'm guessing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It's a serious reflection on your own person when your own "Super" is taking you to court to slam the book against you, the same book he(TC) might have been throwing around himself in his days work.

Many Gardai have points on their licenses and continue to do their work when they still hand them out. This guy was the further extreme of it. Why he didn't get points I don't know.

We would have gotten 5 and our day in court for no NCT and 2 points in court for failure to have tax on the car.

Would I have preferred the large "donation"? Dunno really.

Although I feel that one law should apply to all irrelevant of what job the person has?

Imagine him pulling you over now for No NCT and telling you that you're going to court. You'd tell him to pull the other one because you won't be treated the same in the banana system. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

His own super jesus that must not be going down well in the station

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 johnjack1067

Was it he infamous robocop?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Anyone else concerned about the whole "It wasn't me" defence. He was either there, or he wasn't.

If he's been convicted, then he must have lied under oath? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think the large donation is fair enough, he needs a rap across the knuckles as he is in the Traffic Corps as has been said.

But as other people have said, it would be interesting to hear the background surrounding this, I didn't think Gardaí generally dipped each other in it, even if the guy that did was his superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

robocop_movie_image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

picture in todays star newspaper and he is from co limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

MarkR wrote: »
    Anyone else concerned about the whole "It wasn't me" defence. He was either there, or he wasn't.

If he's been convicted, then he must have lied under oath? :confused:

The thing is as people who have been in court up against the word of a Garda will tell you. The Judge will always come down on the side of the Garda if there is a doubt. Problem here is there are two Gardai so likelyhood is the judge would take the word of a Super.

He surely couldn't undermine a Superintendant and take the word of a beat cop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I know the Garda in question. While I can't defend him having no tax or NCT, I can say that he is a very decent person and of good moral character. I'm surprised to say the least.

grenache wrote: »
    I know the Garda in question. While I can't defend him having no tax or NCT, I can say that he is a very decent person and of good moral character. I'm surprised to say the least.

Don't think anyone was questioning his character. Im sure he's learned his lesson after that fine - he could have done 60 NCT's with that amount, or taxed his car for 5 or 6 years, not to metion all this negative publicity and legal costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was it he infamous robocop?

No. Different man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi folks,

I know I'm going to appear very heavy handed, but this is an on-going legal case until the 31st of October when the judge has adjourned the case until, so due to legal laws in Ireland we can't discuss this topic.

Sorry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement