Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can I not receive faster broadband?

• 13-09-2012 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭

At the moment I am receiving 7 megs of broadband...if that makes any sense :o. I rang up Vodafone who I am with currently and I asked what was the best package they could give me, and the man I was speaking to said that my area/neighbourhood can only receive a maximum of 7-10 megs, and he explained that this was not just with Vodafone, but with any provider. Now I have absolutely no idea about this kind of thing, but I can't understand why one neighbourhood can have brilliant broadband, while I'm stuck with cr**py 7!? He tried to explain it to me but he used jargon that went right over my head. Anyone have a simple explanation?

P.S. I don't live in a rural area. I live close enough to the City Centre and there are people who are a 5min drive away from me with 100 megs. Again, I'm clueless about this stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The people with 100mb would be on UPC which is a different network, DOCSIS. You're on DSL which is distance sensitive, ie the further you are from the exchange, the less speed you can get. There are other factors too, but that the simple version of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Basically it all depends on the quality and length of the Eircom phone line that connects your house to the telephone exchange.The further the distance,the worse the speed you will receive from any provider (Eircom,Vodafone,UTV etc) that is delivering broadband on your line.

If your neighbours can get 100meg broadband it isn't coming over the telephone line,it's coming over UPC's own newly built cable network which is using far superior technology then Eircom's outdated copper wire network.

You should look into whether UPC is available at your address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Thanks for the answers, I'll get on the phone to UPC so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They have an address checker on the site.

http://www.upc.ie/map/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

I live about two miles from the telephone exchange which is located in a business park which has very fast broadband. I had a guy trying to sell me fast speed broadband a couple of weeks ago but I knew he could not deliver what he was promising and the reason is simple. While there is a fibre optic cable carrying the signal into the exchange and around the business park, the cable from the exchange to my house is too small in size and totally inadequate.

The people who sell broadband use a nice term when describing the speed: “Up to” and this can always get them off the hook when they don’t deliver what they promise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement