Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveyor Question

Options
  • 13-09-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all...

Long time lurker, but first time poster & I'd really appreciate your advice. I'm looking to get a piece of land marked out by a surveyor so that I can fence it off. It is currently open land at the rear of my house & is shared between me & some neighbours even though there are clear boundaries on the site map. However, now I wish to put in a proper garden & all that & want to be clear where I can & cannot plant, etc...

I have a site map & the total area in question is approximately 0.25 hectares. One surveyor has given me a quote so far of €450+VAT. To be honest, this seems a bit steep for an hour's work at most. I.e., mark out where the boundaries are. Maybe I am over-simplifying the process in my mind, but I'd appreciate your advice...

Ta...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Some of these jobs are straightforward enough while others can be a bit of a challenge. There are several factors involved such as available on-site points to begin with, the simplicity/complexity of the mapped and existing on-site adjacent boundaries, qualifications and experience of the person carrying out the survey, availability of "approved" maps (PRAI/Land Reg) and the survey method itself i.e. digital or the old 30 metre tape and a couple of ranging rods (that takes me back a bit :))

Different areas of the country attract different fees and this has come up quite often in the past. Assuming that its reasonably straightforward I would consider that quote to be on the high side. Providing you have the correct maps then in Donegal you would get that done for €200 approx or even less.

As I said there are a few factors involved so Im just replying on the basis of an average plot and based on Donegal figures.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi,
    Sounds like a GPS survey, were in around 450 inc. for GPS survey of similar size plot of land. But like Muffler says , location, site factors there are few things to bear in mind.
    GPS will give it to you to within 500 / 600 mm when your marking up boundary's but it may not be needed if you have some fixes on the site or a well delineated boundary on a couple of sides.
    mike f

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Urs

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, he did mention that he was proposing a GPS survey. However, the site map from the Land registry is very clear where the boundaries are. I have marked it out myself before quite easily, but just need to get this done officially so that the neighbours agree & there are no arguments at a later date.

It does need to be well delineated on two sides, but a school kid with a protractor & a measuring tape could do this. There are very clear reference points for several starting points of measurement,

My personal opinion is that he is a bit OTT on the fee given how easy it is to mark out.

I'll get a few more quotes this week & see how it pans out.

Thanks again...

Advertisement