Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Double Taxation - Property.

• 13-09-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the government have addressed the double taxation issue with regard to Stamp Duty/Property Tax from 2013 onward?

I've been looking for discussion on the issue, but I haven't been able to find any acknowledgement by the government.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Half of what I pay is double taxed so I'm not sure they'll see the problem or care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

thebman wrote: »
    Half of what I pay is double taxed so I'm not sure they'll see the problem or care.

That would be my opinion too, but given they own the biggest property company in the world, surely they have to care?

Gain a penny now, lose 3 euro later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What's the problem. You pay tax when you buy a car and have an annual tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I'm confused. Stamp duty is a transaction tax, and it doesn't only apply to residential property. The property tax will, apparently, be an asset based tax - if you own the asset on a particular date you are liable for the tax.

It's no more or less a double tax than the fact that your wages are net of PAYE, but then you pay VAT on your petrol...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm confused. Stamp duty is a transaction tax, and it doesn't only apply to residential property.

this. Stamp duty is not a property tax, it is a transaction tax and there not the same as the new property tax and not double taxation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I'm also curious as to why you think the government would feel a moral imperative to address this. 'Double taxation', or what is commonly referred to under that heading, is widespread practice in Ireland and elsewhere in the EU.

later12 wrote: »
    I'm also curious as to why you think the government would feel a moral imperative to address this. 'Double taxation', or what is commonly referred to under that heading, is widespread practice in Ireland and elsewhere in the EU.

The only thing I can think of is tax relief on pensions so income tax isn't charged twice, maybe that's what people are thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

The only thing I can think of is tax relief on pensions so income tax isn't charged twice, maybe that's what people are thinking of.

And that is abused wholesale by the pension industry. However this thread is not the place to debate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

later12 wrote: »

Double taxation is an common issue when people, during a certain tax period, have income arising from, or assets in, more than once jurisdiction. Most countries (well, western ones anyway) have bilateral tax treaties with the intent of avoiding double taxation, by defining which jurisdiction has the right to tax a particular portion of taxable income/asset.

I have in the past had to deal with two jurisdictions that both (according to their particular tax regulations) would have a tax claim against my income (as a result of moving between countries during a tax year), and have had to refer to said double taxation treaties to restrict my tax liability to only one of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

ardmacha wrote: »
    What's the problem. You pay tax when you buy a car and have an annual tax.
    You pay VAT on the purchase of the car.
    You pay VRT to register it, allowing it to be used on public roads.
    You pay road tax for each year you use it.

I'm not saying its right or wrong (in principle I have no problem with it, in practice its an extortionate amount) but its not double taxation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭creedp

Gurgle wrote: »

I'm not saying its right or wrong (in principle I have no problem with it, in practice its an extortionate amount) but its not double taxation.

What would kill me is if the Govt decide that anone who purchased a house between 2 dates could write off their stamp duty against the property tax while outide of this period you could fcuk right off!! Apologies but that would really make me snap!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What would kill me is if the Govt decide that anone who purchased a house between 2 dates could write off their stamp duty against the property tax while outide of this period you could fcuk right off!! Apologies but that would really make me snap!!

I think something like a 10 year window would be appropriate. This recognises the issue but does not go on for ever and an increasing yield for the tax could be predicted which would suit requirements.

ardmacha wrote: »
    I think something like a 10 year window would be appropriate. This recognises the issue but does not go on for ever and an increasing yield for the tax could be predicted which would suit requirements.

My issue is not necessarily with the lenght of the window but an arbitrary cut-off point based on some arbitrary/subjective criteria such as persons who bought a house between August 2004 and August 2008. What about the poor sod who paid stamp duty in 2000, 2001, 2002 etc. Either you can write off your stamp duty or you can't .. there are enough arbitrary bases for discrimination in this country already without creating more and if that means no write off for anyone then so be it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

What about people who purchassed new houses in that period who paid no stamp duty but inflated house prices maybe they should get a discount as well, and what about all the owners of houses that were below the stamp duty rate but paid inflated prices for them because they were below this level.

Maybe when water rates come in we should look into a reason these should be discounted as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

What about people who purchassed new houses in that period who paid no stamp duty but inflated house prices maybe they should get a discount as well, and what about all the owners of houses that were below the stamp duty rate but paid inflated prices for them because they were below this level.

Maybe when water rates come in we should look into a reason these should be discounted as well.

Probably a good example of why the issue cannot be tackled retrospectively in a straightforward manner. Much like people who bought a low emissions car pre-2008 didn't qualify for lower road tax.
    A bureaucratic decision, 'fairness' doesn't enter the equation.

Irish governments (with the exception of the Greens I think it's fair to say) don't think in the long term because they don't have to.
    It's usually short term, so I don't suppose the above is even on the agenda.

The immediate objective is to reduce the deficit. A
    They see a new revenue stream. D
    They join the dots, A to D.

Points B (negative equity, mortgage default) & C (lack of spending, broken domestic economy) won't immediately affect their administration anymore than they already do, so it's not considered.
    It's a problem for the next administration to consider...

But the issue can be tackled definitively from the beginning of the new system, for new comers. A bureaucratic decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 The Tree of Liberty

It is one of the big issues a lot of people calling for a property tax are ignoring. In a lot of countries with property taxes they are allowable against your taxable income. So far in Ireland it seems as though you will have to pay property tax from income that is already taxed.

It is one of the big issues a lot of people calling for a property tax are ignoring. In a lot of countries with property taxes they are allowable against your taxable income. So far in Ireland it seems as though you will have to pay property tax from income that is already taxed.

If the tax is allowed as a deduction against total income it becomes completely regressive, as people with higher incomes will get 41% relief, and people who aren't in the income tax net get no relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 The Tree of Liberty

If the tax is allowed as a deduction against total income it becomes completely regressive, as people with higher incomes will get 41% relief, and people who aren't in the income tax net get no relief.

The people with the higher incomes have already paid tax and it is a property tax not an income tax.

The people with the higher incomes have already paid tax and it is a property tax not an income tax.

The fact remains if you allow a deduction against total income then the economic cost to a low income payer of the tax is proportionately greater than the cost to the high income payer. That is regressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Are you sure about that? It doesn't happen in Britain or the North.

Income tax and property tax should not be related.

Else you will have 'neither fish nor fowl'.

It's an unecessary complication. It will be difficult enough to implement a property tax without involving incomes.

One is levied on accumulated residential property wealth while the other taxes annual incomes.

Personally I wouldn't mind some kind of cap whereby an occupier would not have to pay more than, say, 10% of their GROSS ANNUAL INCOME in household tax.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The fact remains if you allow a deduction against total income then the economic cost to a low income payer of the tax is proportionately greater than the cost to the high income payer. That is regressive.

If you can get a deduction against income tax for it, then the most equitable solution is for that deduction to be against the lowest rate of PAYE as happens e.g. with medical expenses so those better off don't benefit?

Stheno wrote: »
    If you can get a deduction against income tax for it, then the most equitable solution is for that deduction to be against the lowest rate of PAYE as happens e.g. with medical expenses so those better off don't benefit?

What about people who aren't in the tax net but still liable?

Personally I don't like the idea of having it in any way related to the income tax system - the whole point of it is to widen the tax base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

What about the tax a business owner has to pay...

Employers PAYE
    His own income Tax
    Corporation tax on profits
    CGT on the dividends he pays out
    VAT on everything he buys for his own personal consumption
    Anything he saves, he pays DIRT or CGT on his earnings
    He dies and his family are hit with a 25% inheritance tax.

Who would want to set up a company these days!

This isn't a dig at Ireland, it's a dig at all hungry governments around the world.

turbobaby wrote: »

Employers PAYE
    His own income Tax

This isn't a dig at Ireland, it's a dig at all hungry governments around the world.

Civilisation has high running costs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Gurgle wrote: »

AFAIK, you pay VRT on the OMSP (open market selling price) which of course includes VAT, so that is "double taxation" in a literal sense.

Employers PAYE - set off against Corporation Tax
    His own income Tax - ditto employee
    Corporation tax on profits - N/A employee
    CGT on the dividends he pays out - employee is liable to income tax on dividend received
    VAT on everything he buys for his own personal consumption - ditto employee
    Anything he saves, he pays DIRT or CGT on his earnings - ditto employee
    He dies and his family are hit with a 25% inheritance tax. - ditto employee

Who would want to set up a company/be an employee these days!

Just bringing a bit of balance to the argument ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

All true and just shows how much money they take from us.

I'm not a business owner, and wasn't trying to say business owners pay more. Just showing where gov't have their grubby hands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Employers PAYE
    His own income Tax

And don't forget the exorbitant rates :mad:

Advertisement