Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you need to earn?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

mishkalucy wrote: »
    The people who have lost their jobs and are on SW still have the same bills(or almost all of them) listed by the op;)

Yes I agree, and no money for holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Yes I agree, and no money for holidays.

Now don't you know all the people on SW are off willy-nilly on all sorts of hols:D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Any particular reason OP why you only want to hear from "middle class" people? Those of us on the minimum wage have bills and mortgages as well.
    to be honest it is not a slight at minimum wage workers but i did purposefully single out "middle class" as i am asking about people who may have struggled through college on beans and toast, college during the day and working part time evenings and weekends to pay the rent and bills while studying in between or some young lad who went off to work on the sites and froze his bollox off during the winter on apprentice wages learning the building trade so that they would earn more than minimum wage down the line to have an expectation of not struggling from month to month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

to be honest it is not a slight at minimum wage workers but i did purposefully single out "middle class" as i am asking about people who may have struggled through college on beans and toast, college during the day and working part time evenings and weekends to pay the rent and bills while studying in between or some young lad who went off to work on the sites and froze his bollox off during the winter on apprentice wages learning the building trade so that they would earn more than minimum wage down the line to have an expectation of not struggling from month to month.

Ok, fair enough.

oldat31 wrote: »
    I have 3 kids and a dog....

Food: 10400
    Mortage: Dont have one but rent a year: 3640 Council house....
    Car payments X1.... we bought outright..... 2000
    Creche costs: never used one...
    School related expenses: lol I have 3 in school and books alone cost me 355, so I estimate 600
    ESB: 1040
    Gas/Oil: 1040
    10 day foreign holiday.... Cant afford one!
    Health insurance X5.. Cancled
    Car insurance X1 :600
    Petrol (unbelieveably expensive these days): 1600
    House insurance: I wish.....
    Put aside a few euros for retirement/rainy day: Yeah right....
    Travel in Ireland: 500
    Christmas/Birthdays: 5000
    House maintaince and appliances: 1000
    Occasional entertainment costs: 500 est
    Clothes:500 est
    Computer: 1020 internet....
    Kids activities: 500est
    Friends weddings/hotel/present: 500 est

There is more but Im not listing them..... I am unemployed and my GF works and between us we get: 28652

But adding up what we spend on the list above comes to: 30440.....

Thank god for HP.......
    thanks for that. A few more answers like that and we can start to get an idea of the cost of living in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

me and the missus did the budget last night actually to the following figures:

earnings per month: 3400 (i am currently unemployed)

rent 750e
    food 400e
    utilities bills 60
    upc 66
    loans comb 300
    fuel/toll 230
    mortgage 1000
    total 2806

before someone asks bout the rent and mortgage.... the missus bought a house before I met her, thank god it is in a different country as she is not Irish, it is currently rented but its taking a grand to keep on top of things from this side.
    we are leaving this country for good in the new year. pity but due to circumstances my unborn children will not have the same nationality as I do. now that to me is a sad thing.

as someone rightly pointed out, thats all fine until the unexpected happened.. tip the car, invited to a wedding, and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

thanks for that. A few more answers like that and we can start to get an idea of the cost of living in this country.

That list above is incomplete, I could easly ad another 5k onto that..... TV licence, Sky, nct, public transport, vet, ect, ect and the list just never ****ing ends.....

School related expenses: lol I have 3 in school and books alone cost me 355, so I estimate 600

There is more but Im not listing them..... I am unemployed and my GF works and between us we get: 28652

Thank god for HP.......

I have 2 kids who started primary and secondary this year, ordinary not private school and cost me between uniforms books etc the guts of a grand:eek:

Christmas/Birthdays
    5000 euro:eek::eek:
    We could NEVER be able to spend the colour of that.

Internet
    That seems a helluva lot for internet, 40 euro pm x 12 =480 euro

Weddings
    Have to swallow the shame and admit we can't afford to attend:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Reading through this thread there are a lot of people who are claiming to be struggling but spend over 1000 on the Internet and 5000 on presents,13000 on drink and gambling or the necessity of running two cars supposedly.
    What's wrong with car pooling,foreign holidays per year is a massive luxury.
    Both my parents were full time professionals during my youth and they couldn't afford to take us on a foreign holiday until I was 15 to France camping at the time and there are 2 older than me who never got a holiday abroad,it was off out to Commenara for us.
    Sky tv and the likes are not necessities,we have good libraries that we can rent books from.
    If you analyse your life and write down your basic needs a lot of the stiff you think you need you can do without.
    I went from a massive wage to the dole queue a few yrs back and it was a reality call for us.
    Since then I have been extra prudent,the reality if a couple on 50k after tax cannot save at least 20 percent of that wage then they have there priorities all wrong.

• Advertisement

me and the missus did the budget last night actually to the following figures:

earnings per month: 3400 (i am currently unemployed)

rent 750e
    food 400e
    utilities bills 60
    upc 66
    loans comb 300
    fuel/toll 230
    mortgage 1000
    total 2806

before someone asks bout the rent and mortgage.... the missus bought a house before I met her, thank god it is in a different country as she is not Irish, it is currently rented but its taking a grand to keep on top of things from this side.
    we are leaving this country for good in the new year. pity but due to circumstances my unborn children will not have the same nationality as I do. now that to me is a sad thing.

as someone rightly pointed out, thats all fine until the unexpected happened.. tip the car, invited to a wedding, and so on.

Your total utilities are 60 euro pm??????
    You may have waaayyyyyy underestimated that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

Thank god for HP.......

inexpensive sauce.... love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

I have 2 kids who started primary and secondary this year, ordinary not private school and cost me between uniforms books etc the guts of a grand:eek:

Christmas/Birthdays
    5000 euro:eek::eek:
    We could NEVER be able to spend the colour of that.

Internet
    That seems a helluva lot for internet, 40 euro pm x 12 =480 euro

Weddings
    Have to swallow the shame and admit we can't afford to attend:(

All the above is est, school costs me more but Im not sure of the exact, my internet was ment to be internet and tv which works out at nearly 20 a week....

As for christmas and stuff.... Think about all the people you spend 10 euro on over the whole year..... then I would easly spen 1k on each of mine for christmas, toys and clothes...... I started buying in august....

The weddings price is an est, because like you we mostly say sorry but someone died.... 500 would be if its family.

You think you dont spend much to you actually ad everything up......

Sappa wrote: »
    Reading through this thread there are a lot of people who are claiming to be struggling but spend over 1000 on the Internet and 5000 on presents,13000 on drink and gambling or the necessity of running two cars supposedly.
    What's wrong with car pooling,foreign holidays per year is a massive luxury. Both my parents were full time professionals during my youth and they couldn't afford to take us on a foreign holiday until I was 15 to France camping at the time and there are 2 older than me who never got a holiday abroad,it was off out to Commenara for us. Sky tv and the likes are not necessities,we have good libraries that we can rent books from. If you analyse your life and write down your basic needs a lot of the stiff you think you need you can do without. I went from a massive wage to the dole queue a few yrs back and it was a reality call for us. Since then I have been extra prudent,the reality if a couple on 50k after tax cannot save at least 20 percent of that wage then they have there priorities all wrong.
    i went on 1 holiday until i was 27... to galway.

a foreign holiday can be done relatively cheaply and would not seem to be such a luxury if we weren't being robbed with taxes and levies.

I appreciate the access to third level education in this country, if I was in the USA i wouldnt have been able to get to university but everything else here is a shambles and we are paying one of the highest rates of tax per capita in the world when you factor in everything we're taxed on (about 2/3 of the price of petrol is tax i believe) yet they are coming for more blood in the next budget.

There will be at least four more budgets that will hit us hard,now is the time to plan for these events to soften the blow or look to get out.

There will be at least four more budgets that will hit us hard,now is the time to plan for these events to soften the blow or look to get out.
    how can people plan when most are already stretched to the limit and have gone one step further by cancelling things like health insurance?

• Advertisement

how can people plan when most are already stretched to the limit and have gone one step further by cancelling things like health insurance?

Join us............(said in sy-fy movie voice);)

3 year wait for a childs ENT appointment:mad:

As glib as this may sound, having to think before spending money isn't the same as struggling financially.

I often hear people saying they're broke while spending 50 quid a week on cups of coffee and such needless things. A packed lunch saves a grand a year (assuming a fiver a day) and if that's two people it's two grand a year, that'll send a couple of kids back to school, cover a new washing machine and a few birthday presents.

As glib as this may sound, having to think before spending money isn't the same as struggling financially.

I often hear people saying they're broke while spending 50 quid a week on cups of coffee and such needless things. A packed lunch saves a grand a year (assuming a fiver a day) and if that's two people it's two grand a year, that'll send a couple of kids back to school, cover a new washing machine and a few birthday presents.

:eek:
    Seriously?

Is there whiskey in that??

by utilities i mean gas and esb.....

i also left out phones @ 40e pm

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

€2500-3000 per year on petrol, 660 tax, 500 insurance,2 tyres 300, service oil etc 250:eek:

Seriously?

hate this country- rip off

our people don't deserve this

• Advertisement

thats something i cant understand, where I worked last i could get something like soup and a salad roll for round 5.50. when i buy provisions at the start of the week i dont think i could get a weeks worth of lunch stuff for less than 20e. and it would have to be 20e or its not really worth your while?

What about bins, tv licence, life insurance, etc?

Also 60 quid a month for both ESB and GAS??

You are either living in a verrrrry small place or both your meters are fecked;):D

thats something i cant understand, where I worked last i could get something like soup and a salad roll for round 5.50. when i buy provisions at the start of the week i dont think i could get a weeks worth of lunch stuff for less than 20e. and it would have to be 20e or its not really worth your while?

Depends from case to case obviously but enough for 5 days' sandwiches and a few pieces of fruit would still save about 13 a week compared to the soup and salad roll. Obviously it varies massively, when there's 2euro chicken rolls you'd be mental not to take advantage of it. :pac:

Are you saying that your 2 monthly ESB is 60 Euro???

Either your meter is fecked(for the good).

Or mine and (every one else I know)meters are fecked

I don't know anyone who's who has an ESB bill that is this(standing charge, vat etc would take up most of that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭carrick79

Minimum wage workers obviously never went to college. Or worked hard. Or struggled. Useless, uneducated, lazy ****ers.

I'm earning a good wage, and I'm more than comfortable. Thank God. I couldn't be a prick and look down my nose at the "lower class" if I didn't...

Are you saying that your 2 monthly ESB is 60 Euro???

Either your meter is fecked(for the good).

Or mine and (every one else I know)meters are fecked

I don't know anyone who's who has an ESB bill that is this(standing charge, vat etc would take up most of that)
    that was a monthly figure so e120 esb bill im assuming.

that was a monthly figure so e120 esb bill im assuming.

the way it was presented as above was a monthly bill, hence my curiosity .

Have a read back and correct me if I'm wrong

carrick79 wrote: »
    Minimum wage workers obviously never went to college. Or worked hard. Or struggled. Useless, uneducated, lazy ****ers.

I'm earning a good wage, and I'm more than comfortable. Thank God. I couldn't be a prick and look down my nose at the "lower class" if I didn't...
    how am i looking down my nose? im pointing out that some people made sacrafices early in life to earn more in later life and now are having this extra amount taxed extremely heavily and are not getting the benefits of going to college/learning a trade.

fair point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

:eek:
    Seriously?

Is there whiskey in that??

Say you pay about €2.80 for a cup of coffee.
    That's only 2.5 cups per day @ 7 days.
    Easily done, or more, if you are buying more expensive caffeine drinks like lattes.

Salaries have falled in the order of 3-5% over 2008-12, and of course tax has increased, whilst some expenses (energy, mortgage repayments) remain stubbornly high.
    But salaries were so generous before the crash that I do wonder whether, in many cases, individuals might actually be able to adjust quite well simply by adjusting their how they manage their consumption (as opposed to necessarily reducing their living standards); the afore-mentioned packed lunches and less caffeine and generally 'cleverer' expenditure to reap the same outcome.

Of course, this doesn't actually apply if you have been misfortunate enough to have been laid off from your previous employment. That's another issue entirely.

later12 wrote: »
    Say you pay about €2.80 for a cup of coffee.
    That's only 2.5 cups per day @ 7 days.
    Easily done, or more, if you are buying more expensive caffeine drinks like lattes.

Salaries have falled in the order of 3-5% over 2008-12, and of course tax has increased, whilst some expenses (energy, mortgage repayments) remain stubbornly high.
    But salaries were so generous before the crash that I do wonder whether, in many cases, individuals might actually be able to adjust quite well simply by adjusting their how they manage their consumption (as opposed to necessarily reducing their living standards); the afore-mentioned packed lunches and less caffeine and generally 'cleverer' expenditure to reap the same outcome.

Of course, this doesn't actually apply if you have been misfortunate enough to have been laid off from your previous employment. That's another issue entirely.

I am WAY out of touch so.

I would have hoped there was a sandwich with that:confused:

But seriously though, 50 quid a week for coffee?

Christ, how far removed have the classes become?

• Advertisement

Nah I'd get lectures about wasting money on smoking (fair enough) when spending about 15 quid a week on it from people easily spending 50 a week on coffee just in the weekdays.

later12 wrote: »
    Say you pay about ?2.80 for a cup of coffee. That's only 2.5 cups per day @ 7 days. Easily done, or more, if you are buying more expensive caffeine drinks like lattes. Salaries have falled in the order of 3-5% over 2008-12, and of course tax has increased, whilst some expenses (energy, mortgage repayments) remain stubbornly high. But salaries were so generous before the crash that I do wonder whether, in many cases, individuals might actually be able to adjust quite well simply by adjusting their how they manage their consumption (as opposed to necessarily reducing their living standards); the afore-mentioned packed lunches and less caffeine and generally 'cleverer' expenditure to reap the same outcome. Of course, this doesn't actually apply if you have been misfortunate enough to have been laid off from your previous employment. That's another issue entirely.
    2006-2008 salaries are not being offered to new entrants these days or to people who change jobs. Also there are a lot fewer of those jobs available these days. Relatively few people are in the boat of old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Firstly I'm not talking about a 22 year old single person whose biggest expense after rent is Saturday night.

These days how much does a young middle class family (2 adults, 2 children and a dog) need to earn annually after tax to get by?

Assuming these days both parents are working these are the costs faced by most assuming 1 kid in primary school and another in a creche:

Food
    Mortage
    Car payments X2
    Creche costs
    School related expenses
    ESB
    Gas/Oil
    10 day foreign holiday
    Health insurance X4
    Car insurance X2
    Petrol (unbelieveably expensive these days)
    House insurance
    Put aside a few euros for retirement/rainy day
    Travel in Ireland
    Christmas/Birthdays
    House maintaince and appliances
    Occasional entertainment costs
    Clothes
    Computer
    Kids activities
    Friends weddings/hotel/present
    Ect

Basically to have a reasonable standard of living (not mtv cribs standard) but comfortable enough for a husband and wife who both have decent jobs how much do you need to earn? It might be good to give a breakdown of each individual cost to see where the expenses lie.

In an era of decreasing salaries, increasing costs and getting the bejaysus taxed out of us can an average family hope to be reasonably comfortable?

After tax I take home between 70 and 80 thousand a year. I don't do drugs, I wear jeans and have no "expensive" habit....I'm still strangely broke....not in debt...just **** with money.....maybe me mot is robbing me.

Nah I'd get lectures about wasting money on smoking (fair enough) when spending about 15 quid a week on it from people easily spending 50 a week on coffee just in the weekdays.

Smoking, I could understand 50 quid a week.................

But Coffee??????????????

Jebus, do some folk still have more money that sense?

While others are counting the very last shillings???

Btw I love coffee, but not enough for 50 quid a week, I am not a coffee racist:P

After tax I take home between 70 and 80 thousand a year. I don't do drugs, I wear jeans and have no "expensive" habit....I'm still strangely broke....not in debt...just **** with money.....maybe me mot is robbing me.

Did you just come here to rub it in?????:pac:

But seriously though, 50 quid a week for coffee?

Christ, how far removed have the classes become?
    that would be a common figure on coffee especially among twenty something females. Coffee shops are thriving. I find that one very strange myself especially as most are takeaway coffees so people are not paying the price to socalise there most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭carrick79

how am i looking down my nose?

im pointing out that some people made sacrafices early in life to earn more in later life.

fair point?

Believe it or not but other people have made sacrifices too and things have not gone their way. Your post where you said you deliberately left out the minimum wage workers and aimed it solely at the "middle class" smacked of snobbery. The "middle class" worked hard. The "middle class" struggled!! Are you suggesting that all those earning a minimum wage have not worked hard, have not struggled, and have now reached their level and should be grateful?

better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

carrick79 wrote: »
    Believe it or not but other people have made sacrifices too and things have not gone their way. Your post where you said you deliberately left out the minimum wage workers and aimed it solely at the "middle class" smacked of snobbery. The "middle class" worked hard. The "middle class" struggled!! Are you suggesting that all those earning a minimum wage have not worked hard, have not struggled, and have now reached their level and should be grateful?

grateful? Where are you getting that from?

i dont see why you are trying to start an argument with a stranger on the internet but im not going to bother argueing with you the various life choices or misfortunes that resulted in a person earning below a certain amount.

Im pointing out that the cost of living in this country is ridiculously high where even the "middle class" are struggling to get by.

This thread is about how much money you need a year to be reasonably comfortable whether that means working 80 hours a week on minimum wage or 40 hours a week at a higher salary.

people on minimum wage in the vast majority of countries will usually be tight, thats why its called minimum wage, its the basic amount to be just above the economic poverty line. A civilised economically strong country is judged by its "middle class" rather than GDP per capita best imo as it shows what standard of living the regular person can reasonably aspire to have.

fair enough?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Did you just come here to rub it in?????:pac:

Not at all...I had more when I was unemployed. Dunno where it goes.
    the question was "what do you earn", ...that's what I earn....and I'm still penniless.

Bump this for the 9-5 office crowd who are supposed to be working:)

Not at all...I had more when I was unemployed. Dunno where it goes.
    the question was "what do you earn", ...that's what I earn....and I'm still penniless.
    would be interested to know what job someone who sounds young and single has where they are pulling in e80k after tax? Is it you thats selling the brown powder in cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    50k after tax would be alot for a family of 4 and would provide a good standard of living if spent correctly.

Lets break that down, essentials first:
    Childcare: €250 per week = €1k per month / €12k per year
    Mortgage: Average €1k per month / €12k per year
    Heating a home: 2 fills of oil €2k per year
    Running 2 cars (yes this is neccessary for 2 people to go to work)
    Tax + insurance: €1k each per year = €2k
    Petrol: €50 each per week = €400 per month = €4800
    Maintenance: €500 per car per year would be doing well, €1k
    Depreciation: €2k per year each = €4k (Buy an older car, spend more on maintenance)
    Electricity: €100 per month = €1200 per year
    Food: Lets eat the cheapest possible own-brand stuff: €120 per week = €6,240

So far that's €45,240 with no medical costs, no going out, phone, broadband, tv, birthdays, christmas or holiday.

That €50k after tax isn't looking so hot now is it?

Gurgle wrote: »
    Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    50k after tax would be alot for a family of 4 and would provide a good standard of living if spent correctly.

Lets break that down, essentials first:
    Childcare: €250 per week = €1k per month / €12k per year
    Mortgage: Average €1k per month / €12k per year
    Heating a home: 2 fills of oil €2k per year
    Running 2 cars (yes this is neccessary for 2 people to go to work)
    Tax + insurance: €1k each per year = €2k
    Petrol: €50 each per week = €400 per month = €4800
    Maintenance: €500 per car per year would be doing well, €1k
    Depreciation: €2k per year each = €4k (Buy an older car, spend more on maintenance)
    Electricity: €100 per month = €1200 per year
    Food: Lets eat the cheapest possible own-brand stuff: €120 per week = €6,240

So far that's €45,240 with no medical costs, no going out, phone, broadband, tv, birthdays, christmas or holiday.

That €50k after tax isn't looking so hot now is it?
    You forgot child benefit to top up that also 100 a month on electricity is daft,2000 on oil you could bring that back to 500 and get some turf or coal in or better still forage for wood with the family as an activity(I'm serious).
    Tax and insurance get lower taxed cars,insurane can be had for a lot less nowadays shop around.
    Child care not every child is an infant many are in school,you cannot include depreciation in your expense per year when working out this cost on this topic.
    Grow your own food,there are ways around it.

You forgot child benefit to top up that
    We were talking cost of living vs net income. Child benefit is part of net income.
    also 100 a month on electricity is daft
    Are you running a house with 4 people in it?
    €100 a month is a house full of CFL bulbs and A/B rated appliances.
    (Oh yeah, forgot to include an average annual cost of maintaining / replacing appliances)
    2000 on oil you could bring that back to 500 and get some turf or coal in or better still forage for wood with the family as an activity(I'm serious).
    Again, try it.
    2 fills of oil is fairly conservative heating, turf and coal cost money too and unless you can 'forage' just outside your house you'll find that the value in heating fuel of a bootload of windfall doesn't cover the cost of driving to get it.
    Tax and insurance get lower taxed cars,insurane can be had for a lot less nowadays shop around.
    Preaching to the choir mate. A pre-08 1.4 petrol is €358 to tax and around €400 to insure once you're over 30. I estimated €1k as a representative figure for the average boardsie in their mid 20s.
    Child care not every child is an infant many are in school
    2 kids worth of after school care, books, uniforms, and 'voluntary' contributions. They don't cost less in school, you just spend the money differently.
    you cannot include depreciation in your expense per year when working out this cost on this topic.
    Cars wear out, no?
    AA Report average cost per year > €11k
    Grow your own food,there are ways around it.
    Grow food for a family of 4 on the postage stamp attached to an average 3-bed semi?
    I do grow as much fruit and veg as I can fit in there. A good crop of everything might save me €200 for the year.

• Advertisement

You forgot child benefit to top up that also 100 a month on electricity is daft,2000 on oil you could bring that back to 500 and get some turf or coal in or better still forage for wood with the family as an activity(I'm serious). Tax and insurance get lower taxed cars,insurane can be had for a lot less nowadays shop around. Child care not every child is an infant many are in school,you cannot include depreciation in your expense per year when working out this cost on this topic. Grow your own food,there are ways around it.
    go to college/learn a trade

work full time

come home and have to grow my own food also. Are you serious? Is that what you expect for yourself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

TheBrinch wrote: »
    10 day holiday, 2 cars, clothes.... Expectations are a bit high ;)
    Im not talking about having 2 new BMWs in the driveway, just a couple of motors to bring the kids to school, get to work, go to the supermarket, ect.

just a couple of motors to bring the kids to school,.....

That's the kinda thing that sickens me. Why don't the little ****heads walk. Healthier and you won't be clogging up the roads for everyone else?

Im not talking about having 2 new BMWs in the driveway, just a couple of motors to bring the kids to school, get to work, go to the supermarket, ect.

just a couple of motors to bring the kids to school,.....

That's the kinda thing that sickens me. Why don't the little ****heads walk. Healthier and you won't be clogging up the roads for everyone else?
    you expect a bunch of 8 year old children walking to school in the p1ss rain, cold, wind carrying a bag bigger than they are so you get into less traffic jams?

You forgot child benefit to top up that also 100 a month on electricity is daft,2000 on oil you could bring that back to 500 and get some turf or coal in or better still forage for wood with the family as an activity(I'm serious). Tax and insurance get lower taxed cars,insurane can be had for a lot less nowadays shop around. Child care not every child is an infant many are in school,you cannot include depreciation in your expense per year when working out this cost on this topic. Grow your own food,there are ways around it.
    go to college/learn a trade

work full time

come home and have to grow my own food also. Are you serious? Is that what you expect for yourself?
    I hold several qualifications from university and I do not see the connection you made with a person being educated and the negativity associated with growing your own food.
    I love growing my own food,it's more a hobby than chore and the rewards both financially and health wise far outweigh the effort involved which is very little.
    You can turn any small sized garden into a treasure chest of mixed veg and herbs.
    You seem to have this sense of entitlement that because you graduated from university that you are above grafting or settling for average.
    Nowadays that is the problem,we look to our parents or older siblings and want the luxuries they have now which unfortunately in present Ireland is not easily achievable.
    Sometimes you have to put in the hard graft and wait until you get that break whilst living within your means and finding avenues to cut corners or save even more.

I love growing my own food,it's more a hobby than chore and the rewards both financially and health wise far outweigh the effort involved which is very little.

Mate, thats your hobby.
    Don't fool yourself that you're saving any significant amount of money.

Just out of curiosity, do you work?
    Do you have a house? a mortgage? kids?

• Advertisement
Advertisement