Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know or have experience of London Universities?

Options
  • 14-09-2012 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Did anyone ever attend any of them, apart from the University of London how do the others compare to any of the main Irish Universities in terms of reputation? Did anyone ever attend the University of West London, South Bank, Greenwich, Brunel and how did you rate them or does anyone know how they'd rank compared to the Irish Universities, I'd appreciate any replies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Dude240502

Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

University of London is an association of a variety of uni's. Some of them are top-tier uni's, others not so much.

I went to UCL which would be one of the top uni's in University of London. If you are purely focused on academics then I would definitely say that UCL will deliver in that department although I certainly felt it was lacking in the social aspect. Also, it has a city-centre campus so its not conducive to a college vibe like uni's located in suburbs where there is dorms and a large amount of student housing.

UCL would rank well ahead of Irish uni's as would Imperial, Kings, LSE.

Of the other uni's that you mentioned, Greenwich and Brunel would be on a par with UCD but I think that TCD would have more prestige and higher quality teaching.

The other uni's in London I wouldn't really rate higher than any other Irish NUI's

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Dude240502

Does anyone else know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

UCL, Imperial, LSE and KCL would all be top 20 universities in the world really. They're simply world class, far better than anything in Ireland overall.

Brunel would probably be around the same level as UCD but below Trinity.

All the other ones wouldn't have the greatest of reputations in the UK in general. Places like Goldsmiths are pretty good but very much focused on particular subjects.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

For the most part what college you go to makes **** all difference in the working world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I would think that the subjects you are looking to study will have a bearing on the reputation or quality of the university.

For example, an Information Security Masters from Royal Holloway (part of the University of London) is looked on quite favourably by employers over here in the UK and can open doors a lot easier than other universities offering a similar degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

My sister went to Brunel, she says it's really good.

Advertisement