Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Interview - Odd Scenario

Options
  • 14-09-2012 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I Teach in 3rd Level.

I applied for a job Monday last week. The job i applied for is in Education also and is only for a couple of hours per week here and there/Temporary day time work at least till christmas. I currently Teach at night during the week so the advertised position would be ideal to boost up my hours. The job is unrelated to my current place of employment.

I got a call two days later on the Wednesday morning from the Woman/Recruiter in charge of the advertised position. She said she got my C.V for 'JOB A' and would love if i could come in today at short notice for a quick interview. I said perfect and arranged a time for 3 hours later as i live nearby. Before she hung up she went, "oh did you see our other job advertised aswell 'JOB B' " and i said no. She then said see you later and we can have a chat. As the interview was at such short notice (3hours) i had to start, polishing shoes, ironing etc and had no time whatsoever to start going on line looking up the other job. I knew 'JOB B' would be same as JOB 'A' but in a totally different county. Iam in Roscommon where JOB A is and the other job is the far end of Mayo.

I get to the interview and go into the room and meet the Recruiter and the boss and start answering all the usual questions about education, how do you approach this type of learner, how do you deal with disruption, tell us about urself etc.. All that was fine until i near the end of the interview and they start talking about the particular job spec itself and they turn the interview into JOB B" and say its in Mayo etc...I just went along with it cos they still never mentioned the job i applied for once and thought they will speak about it in a min and thought they may want to see if i would be suitable for other positions in the future etc...

Next thing the interview is over and without even mentioning the actual job i applied for they said we will call you this evening or tomorrow morning as i knew they were anxious to get someone quick. I Quickly realised when i got out to the car that they were so desperate to get some for JOB'B which starts next week that they basically thought if they get me in, thinking iam doing an interview for the JOB'A that he couldnt turn us down and accept "JOB B..??

Its only when i get home and look up JOB'B and its description that i see that if i get the job it would mean a 2 and a half hour round trip per day, 5 days per week right up until christmas. Its in a rural area i know that they cant get anyone else with the qualifications.

Before i got a response from her i had asked a couple of friends for their opinion and they said i would be mad to take on such a journey and i decided its not the job i applied for and didn't want it.. A couple of hours later she rings me back and tells me the job is mine. I was like sorry its not suitable for me to take on the journey due to the travel involved but iam still very interested in Job A that i applied for all while trying to act nice over the fone. She said ok thats no problem, we'l be holding the interviews for the job at a later date and told me she would keep my C.V on file, which i knew was a load of bull because i knew deep down she was saying KISS my ass.

What annoys me is that i knew if it was only JOB A advertised i would have definitely got it and would be no more than 25 minutes drive away from my home. I know now she wont ring me back when the interviews come up for JOB A.

Did i do the right thing. What would you do..It was the oddest interview ive ever done. Going for a job and they never mention it the whole interview.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Fairly normal if a bit underhand. Very normal if going though someone who is paid to get people into jobs.

Fairly normal if a bit underhand. Very normal if going though someone who is paid to get people into jobs.

Fairly normal? Are you sure? Underhanded is what I'd say if it was via an employment agency at the height of the boom, but to deliberately waste the time of everyone involved (applicant and interview panel) interviewing a guy for a job he neither asked for nor expressed any interest in is definitely a bit bizarre!
    I don't care how isolated the location is, if it has enough of a population to warrant an education facility then I can't believe there isn't at least one active jobseeker qualified to do it and prepared to have a crack at it.

In my opinion whoever did the interview hasn't a clue and the OP is well within his rights to complain (after he actually gets refused "job A" of course!) to the employer, Dept. of Education, Dept. of Social Welfare, FAS, and even Joe Duffy for that matter if he wants to because he does not deserve to be treated like an idiot like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I think it's fairly normal too. Job A is probably not vacant yet, but they advertised both in order to get a pool of applicants to pick from. I don't think turning down job B will necessarily mean you are ruled out of job A.

I don't think this is an issue for Joe Duffy!!

Advertisement