Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What films scared you most as a child

• 14-09-2012 2:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Previous post of 'what tv adds scared you as a child' got me thinkin of films that scared me as a child
    One that sticks out was that film never ending story ( everyone gasps and say wtf) but the film is basically bout a huge wolf tring to eat a child and at the end the wolf finds him And has a creepy voice and has huge teeth and all ( did I mention huge fcukin wolf)
    And the film Peter and the wolf ( not the film But the music scared sh1t out of me)
    Basically wolves I know haha
    But seriously what films scared you folks
    Atb

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Barney .... freaked me out , parents made me sit and watch his whole movie and my god
    not even The Grinch came close ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The pink elephants from Dumbo scared the bejaysus out of me when I was a nipper. Their trunks turned into trumpets and they burst :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

The original " Piranha".

I love Jaws etc but for some reason Piranha scared the life outta me.
    Wouldn't sit on the loo without checking for piranha for MONTHS:eek::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Pinnochio.

Two parts really shook me up. When the boy turned into the donkey it scared the shít out of me. Also, when they got swallowed by the whale too. Gave me nightmares for months after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

I know its not a kids movie, but I watched IT when i was about 10. That clown scared the shyte out of me.
    To this day clowns really freak me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The pink elephants from Dumbo scared the bejaysus out of me when I was a nipper. Their trunks turned into trumpets and they burst :(
    I see that every weekend lol
    Yeah that was freaky tho

Another one of my scaries was arachnaphobia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Yeah Dumbo's bad trip the first time he tried acid was a little scary and confusing.

Also, the part of Bosco where he went to the supermarket, it involved a scary ass talking, angry potato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Saw candyman when I was about 10 or 11. Bad bad idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Stephen King's "IT" had me terrified.

And "Ghoules" that film had me checking the toilet every time I had a ****.

Film that scared me after Piranha(which I saw when I was about 8) was Stephen King's "Salem's Lot"

The scene where he is scratching at the window still sits with me to this day.

• Advertisement

Stephen King's "IT" had me terrified.

And "Ghoules" that film had me checking the toilet every time I had a ****.

HAHA what is it with the loo checking???
    I went through a phase of that too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

chucky, scared the **** out me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Robocop, my father wouldn't let me watch it but when I seen him going around the house pretending to be a robot and air spinning guns into his leg I made it my mission to watch it before the video went back that evening. It doesn't take long for that film to scare the bejaysus out of a child, the hardest part was waiting for a nonviolent part so I could run out from behind the couch and stop the tape. Ended up getting caught when the video shop fined the ol lad for not rewinding the tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

The full video of Thriller by Michael Jackson really freaked me out! Remember seeing it for the first time on a Sunday afternoon on MT-USA. Can remember there being a warning before it and telling my mum that I'd be fine....how wrong I was :D

mishkalucy wrote: »

HAHA what is it with the loo checking???
    I went through a phase of that too!

Well the "Ghoules" are these little green evil gremlins things that kill people in carnival. In the end scene when they think there all dead, a worker goes for a dump and a "Ghoule" comes up the toilet and bites his ass/balls off.

Took me months to conquer that fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Not a film but this shiiteback scared the bejaysis out of me. Turned me off milk for life, now i have no teeth and osteoporosis.

FanadMan wrote: »
    The full video of Thriller by Michael Jackson really freaked me out! Remember seeing it for the first time on a Sunday afternoon on MT-USA. Can remember there being a warning before it and telling my mum that I'd be fine....how wrong I was :D

I can remember watching that as well!
    That was when MTV was GOOD!!!

Scared the bejesus out of me btw.

Well the "Ghoules" are these little green evil gremlins things that kill people in carnival. In the end scene when they think there all dead, a worker goes for a dump and a "Ghoule" comes up the toilet and bites his ass/balls off.

Took me months to conquer that fear.

I can get my loo checking thing because the piranha were in water.

Were the ghoules in water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

My older sisters enjoyed freaking the shít out of me with this type of thing, me being around ten years younger than them. One I remember was something to do with Jack the Ripper when I must have only been 5/6. I looked up some there but can't pinpoint what one it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Lon.C wrote: »
    I know its not a kids movie, but I watched IT when i was about 10. That clown scared the shyte out of me.
    To this day clowns really freak me out.

I watched it as a nipper and for years I was terrified of drains in case he was lurking :( I was also terrified that he was hiding behind the shower curtain, surprisingly it had no lasting effects, not scared of clowns now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

The follow up to Wizard of Oz that was made in the 80s - Return to Oz.
    The Wheelers scared the absolute sh*t out of me, and the room of heads in glass cases that the witch/queen had and when Dorothy went into the room and they all woke up and started screaming!

Too scary for kids!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Gremlins, only seen a bit of it but that was enough!

Never watched it again

I can get my loo checking thing because the piranha were in water.

Were the ghoules in water?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=5RmBQarrygY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5RmBQarrygY&gl=GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pee Wee Herman and Roger Rabbit, both have scenes where characters eyes go crazy, damn Christopher Lloyd nearly made me sh1t myself as a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jurassic Park, had to leave the cinema

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

When I was young, I occasionally ended up visiting slaughterhouses with my dad. I tell you this to illustrate the fact that I was not an easily rattled child.

However, Superman 3 freaked the living crap out of me thanks to the following scene.

It uh... it hasn't really held up, but... still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

A Clockwork Orange. I must have been about 11 or 12 (I'm 19 now)

I used to read tv guide or something a few years ago which rated movies on tv, it gave it 5 stars so I thought it must be worth watching (I found some of the best films from that magazine). Anywho, I didn't really pay much attention to the review which mentioned violence, rape, etc. So I didn't know what to expect.....

...I didn't make it past the intro :o Freaky as fúck! Only came round to watching the full thing recently!!

Oh and Snow White, that bit where the witch turns into the old woman, I used to hide behind the couch it was that scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

not a film, but the series: HR Pufnstuff freaked me out so much I think my psychotic tendancies of today can be traced back to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

labyrinth.

ugggggggh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

FanadMan wrote: »

I can remember watching that as well!
    That was when MTV was GOOD!!!

Scared the bejesus out of me btw.

It was MT-USA, not MTV.

Back on topic...

this scared the hell out of me when I was a kid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Poltergeist 2 or 3. Can't remember which one.

I was afraid to walk past a mirror for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I can never remember what its called now, but i remember seeing a movie when i was about 8 about some group of people going to a woods cabin or something to try and get over ther fears, the wooden looking man in it scared me sooo much! :eek: would love to see that now and see if it has the same effect.

The zombie guy in Hocus Pocus! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

my cousin (who was younger than me) showed me nightmare in elm street when i over with them for a weeks holidays when i was about 10 or 11

..cue extreme homesickness, crying on phone to parents and general sacred ****lessness for a year or two after. never did get on with him so think he did it on purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭itchy elbows

The wind and the willows come on its about a rat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The original B&W version of Invasion of The Bodysnatchers. I still remember how much it freaked me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Those who have seen this in their youth know why. The Banshee, The death car....

this movie is U for Universal. it's not even PG!!!! :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I have no idea it was called but it was about some guy who having a bad trip (I was told he was having a nightmare at the time) anyway lots of every day stuff like ice creams started chasing him through the town and one tried to bury him alive..

Anyone have any idea what it was called?? IIRC it may have been some sort of Sherlock Holmes type film :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

It was a television series staring David Soul, "Salem's Lot", I remember checking the windows about 5 times and turning the landan light on.

I looked at it again recently and it was amazing how innocent it was compared to today's stuff.

Sneaky snake in Wanderly wagon is still very scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Well it wasn't a film, it was TV series, apparently I was terrified of the Incredible Hulk, my Da told me I used to hide behind the sofa in fear whenever it came on (must have been so traumatic for me that my mind blocked it out, cos I don't remember it even though I was at an age where I should be able to remember it ;))

And apparently my mean older brother used to record it and play the video randomly just to scare me and have a laugh - big brothers can be sooo mean :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Fleming should have stuck with Bond. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Nux

Again Darby O'Gill was one I remember scaring me. Banshe :eek:
    And Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder. The psychedelic boat ride sequence with chickens having their heads cut off and snakes crawling over a man's face surely has no place in any U or PG certificate film.
    Two great films tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

This scared the crap outta me when was younger

Devil_rides_out_GDI013.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

ET - the creepy little mofo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

amybabes wrote: »
    The follow up to Wizard of Oz that was made in the 80s - Return to Oz.
    The Wheelers scared the absolute sh*t out of me, and the room of heads in glass cases that the witch/queen had and when Dorothy went into the room and they all woke up and started screaming!

Too scary for kids!!

To hell with the follow up, the original Wizard of Oz had the ultimate witch and vicious flying monkeys. That witch was probably the inspiration for every witch ever since. I had no problem watching Jaws when I was 5 or 6 but the wizard of Oz scared me shítless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Colmustard wrote: »
    It was a television series staring David Soul, "Salem's Lot", I remember checking the windows about 5 times and turning the landan light on.

I was half way up the stairs after an episode of 'Salem's Lot' when we had a power cut!!!, I don't think I have ever been so terrified in my life.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

when i was very young i watched event horizon which was a stupid idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

ruthloss wrote: »
    Colmustard wrote: »

I was half way up the stairs after an episode of 'Salem's Lot' when we had a power cut!!!, I don't think I have ever been so terrified in my life.:o

It was the scene of the vampire scraping the window that got me. Mahhh when ever a car went by and cast a shadow. I was terrified, I still came back for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Nightmare on Elm street when I was about 7 or 8, could look at a school bus or a box of cereal for a week without freaking out.
    My Ma ate the bollix off me uncle for lettin me watch it. We have a good laugh about it now tho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement