Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What films scared you most as a child

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Somehow I managed to watch Hitchcocks "The Birds" one Saturday night, parents had friends over in the 'parlour' (posh room rarely used with china in it) and left me to me own devices. Was petrified to even go upstairs lest a flock of evil birds appear and tear me to shreds.
    Even now the child snatcher from 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' unnerves me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Bettlejuice... Parents were out, sister who was baby-sitting let me watch it. I was around 6/7. Bawled, and I mean biblically, for a good three to four hours before they came home.
    I watch it now and I smile..... before I obviously start bawling again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

The daddy of them all......................

EXORCIST.

Nasty,nasty movie that scared me for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Colmustard wrote: »
    ruthloss wrote: »

It was the scene of the vampire scraping the window that got me. Mahhh when ever a car went by and cast a shadow. I was terrified, I still came back for more.
    Me too. I slept with a crucifix under the pillow in case of emergency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Like a few have said Stephen Kings IT was the one for me, terrified for years I was , I honestly did believe he was in the closet. Heard they are re-making it now I think I'll make my own child watch it...It can be like a right of passage and will give me bargaining power with them.

'Stop crying or.....IT will get you'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

No films really left an impression on me except this scene from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. From Judge Doom getting crushed to inflating himself back up again and speaking with the high-pitched voice plus those demented eyes. Eurgh!

Christopher Lloyd scared the shìt out of me as him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

ET scared the bejesus out of me as a kid, so much so that I've never seen it the whole way through!!

I also used to get creeped out watching Are You Afraid Of The Dark on tv frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Saw "The Omen" (1976) on TV when I was 7 or 8 and was utterly traumatised by the guy getting decapitated by the glass. I really should sit down with my folks and ask some hard questions about their parenting :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Kwack

Anyone remember salems lot?? Scared me ****less as a kid!
    Previous post of 'what tv adds scared you as a child' got me thinkin of films that scared me as a child
    One that sticks out was that film never ending story ( everyone gasps and say wtf) but the film is basically bout a huge wolf tring to eat a child and at the end the wolf finds him And has a creepy voice and has huge teeth and all ( did I mention huge fcukin wolf)
    And the film Peter and the wolf ( not the film But the music scared sh1t out of me)
    Basically wolves I know haha
    But seriously what films scared you folks
    Atb

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kwack

Just realised salems lot was mentioned! What about hellraiser? The dude with the pins coming out of his head....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭cassiedoll

Gremlins, Chucky, Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm Street and of course Halloween and even Jaws -i havent seen any of these films from start to finish

I used to have to turn off some episodes of the X-Files :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

cassiedoll wrote: »
    Gremlins, Chucky, Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm Street and of course Halloween and even Jaws -i havent seen any of these films from start to finish

I used to have to turn off some episodes of the X-Files :):)

Oh the opening scene in the x-files with that bloody music , the bit where the ghost can be seen walking about and then the 'duh duh duh duh duh duh...diddle d diddle didde' terrifying!! I do love the X-files though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Colmustard wrote: »
    ruthloss wrote: »

It was the scene of the vampire scraping the window that got me. Mahhh when ever a car went by and cast a shadow. I was terrified, I still came back for more.

Nah, it was the scene where the 'Master' first appeared, he swooped in to the prison cell and his face flashed up on the screen and the music was screaming!!!!...Oh sweet Jazus!!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭cassiedoll

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Oh the opening scene in the x-files with that bloody music , the bit where the ghost can be seen walking about and then the 'duh duh duh duh duh duh...diddle d diddle didde' terrifying!! I do love the X-files though...

the episode that sticks out the most to me was The Host - the thing that lived in the sewer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Stephen kings IT. I hate that film, hate clowns, hate drains and hate balloons all because of that freak Stephen king!
    "down here they all float!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

scarecrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Any film that had toddlers in danger as I had two younger brothers. Labyrinth, Ghostbusters II, Willow.

Special mention to the Dark Crystal and the spider soldiers the Skeksis had. UGHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Herbie. A Volkswagen with a mind of its own. Driving all over the place and going mad. If that isn't scary, I don't know what is.

Not so much a film, but Bill Bixby used to have me ****ting myself from behind a curtain when his eyes turned white before the Hulk came.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Aliens....and now its one of my fav films :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Not so much a film, but Bill Bixby used to have me ****ting myself from behind a curtain when his eyes turned white before the Hulk came.

I had nightmares of the fcuker chasing me around the house:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Ernest Scared Stupid: Basically Ernest releases a Troll who runs around after kids and turns them into wooden dolls, when he puts the dolls in his tree it started growing more fecking trolls! This scared the living shíte outta me!

Never even went as far as to see the ending so to me eyes the troll was never caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Not a film but Unsolved Mysteries used to freak me out, soon as i heard the theme music was time to hide behind the couch!!

In terms of films, watching Arachnaphobia when it came out on video in '91 as a 9 year old was pretty scary stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Lon.C wrote: »
    I know its not a kids movie, but I watched IT when i was about 10. That clown scared the shyte out of me.
    To this day clowns really freak me out.

Came in here to post this.. Watched IT when I was 8. Thanks ma... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Not a film but that old tv program about the family of cavemen. Can't remember the name of it, but it was an animation made from plastisene models, like how Wallace and Gromit were made. For some reason it creeped the sh1te out of me. Speaking of Wallace and Gromit, the penguin was also very creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

H G Wells Time Machine scared the crap out of me as a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Sykk wrote: »
    Came in here to post this.. Watched IT when I was 8. Thanks ma... :mad:

I read the book as an adult and its scared the bejaysus outta me. Something so creepy about a cannnibalistic clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I remember watching the hand that rocks the cradle years ago and its not so much a scary film but that childminder frightened the life out of me, crazy bitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

The children of the Corn and those horrible, horrible Dentist films!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

The Mangler. My brother made me watch it once when we were away on holidays. I'd to share a room with him and there was nowhere to hide. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Return to Oz....

man for a start, here's the opening line from IMDB: "Dorothy, saved from a psychiatric experiment by a mysterious girl"
    what kind of kids film involves being locked up in an asylum!!!

and i was in my late 20's when this freaked me out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Anyone who seen the film the dark crystal as a kid will agree with me
    Remember the skecsis
    They were like half vulture and half lizard or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

This scared the crap out of me when I saw this :( Was about 6 when I watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

ollie1 wrote: »
    This scared the crap out of me when I saw this :( Was about 6 when I watched it.

I was just about to post this too! Was about the same age also when I saw it, the part where the guy scratches his own face off had me in hysterics (not haha hysterics)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Freaks by todd browning, never expected it from an old B&W movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Darby O'Gill and the little people. Still not allowed to be shown if I'm in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

My cousin made me watch the Omen, I was traumatized :(

James and the Giant Peach gave me nightmares as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Haven't read the entroe thread but I'm sure someone mentioned Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Frightening scenes, the banshee and the coach at the end in particular. Scariest thing in the whole film is Sean Connery's accent though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

return to oz was a very dark film

the rooftop scene with the chimney sweeps in mary poppins freaked me out for some reason as well

keano_afc wrote: »
    Haven't read the entroe thread but I'm sure someone mentioned Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Frightening scenes, the banshee and the coach at the end in particular. Scariest thing in the whole film is Sean Connery's accent though.

Eh hello??? I had forgotten about the coach! Thanks for the reminder! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Edward Scissorhands

Words cannot express how much this film petrified me as a child! The set design, Danny Elfman's music (which is undeniably beautiful, but deeply haunting), the make-up, the costumes.

tumblr_m74sq0gcYW1qbr8pyo2_1280.jpg

The introduction of Edward, emerging from the shadows of the derelict house... How anyone can not be frightened by that scene, I'll never know!

PG certificate my arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

i have a few that to this day still freak me out big time.

IT is one of them i run when i see a clown and im 29.

the other 2 is that chesire cat from alice in wonderland(disney one) it still freaks me out majorly. leaving bits of itself around no thats not right.

the lion from the original lion witch and wardrobe film freaks me out my mam still laughs at me for that i cant watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

Remember watching Jacob's ladder on rte when I was about 8. Had to run over to turn tv off after the hospital scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

neemish wrote: »
    Eh hello??? I had forgotten about the coach! Thanks for the reminder! :D

the bit where the banshee knocks on the door is scary too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Another hater of ET here. I accidentally watched some of it last Christmas while waiting for another (better) movie to start on tv. His stupid screechy voice, his glowing heart and finger, and even just how his skin looks like it would be all clammy and disgusting and yuck :(:mad:

Also, The Crystal Maze used to freak me out. If someone didn't get the crystal in time they'd be locked in the room, and I always thought they'd be stuck in there forever thanks to the evil bald host.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Not a film but I remember somehow seeing "Ghostwatch" on BBC one Halloween when I was a kid. Of course I thought it was all real and was knowing absolutely terrified watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Predator scared the bejasus out of me when I was young. Especially the end battle between Arnie and the predator when the muck had washed off him and he was left exposed. He was one ugly motherfu*ker!

What was that programme on RTE2 at 6pm where kids sat around and told ghost stories?
    Always terrified me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

The Amitiville Horror frightened the life out of me as a 14 year old. Couldn't forget it, slept with the lights on, hated to be alone. Was the convinced the devil was about to get me and I would be possessed or something - the fear wore off - eventually.
    Fast forward to me at 20 it came on the telly and I thought "grand I'll watch it now- no bother" Within half an hour I was crawling, yes crawling on all fours over to the telly to turn it off. It's probably all lame now but I'll never know 'cos I'll never watch it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement