Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What films scared you most as a child

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

neemish wrote: »
    What was that programme on RTE2 at 6pm where kids sat around and told ghost stories?
    Always terrified me

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 The Major

Watched Threads when I was 12 or 13 , still frightens the fcuk out of me nearly 30 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Does it have to be a film? Cause wurzel gummidge and dr who used to scare the bejaysus outta me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

It the Clown.. Shudder...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

anything to do with Aliens. I remember being paralyzed with fear in the bed watching this crappy UFO film, too afraid to even get out and turn off the tv incase they'd get me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

neemish wrote: »
    What was that programme on RTE2 at 6pm where kids sat around and told ghost stories?
    Always terrified me

Tales from the Crypt or Are you afraid of the Dark??
    I was terriffied of one of them... not sure which..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

jokettle wrote: »
    Another hater of ET here. I accidentally watched some of it last Christmas while waiting for another (better) movie to start on tv. His stupid screechy voice, his glowing heart and finger, and even just how his skin looks like it would be all clammy and disgusting and yuck :(:mad:

Also, The Crystal Maze used to freak me out. If someone didn't get the crystal in time they'd be locked in the room, and I always thought they'd be stuck in there forever thanks to the evil bald host.

it was great with richard o brien but once they got that ed tudor pole twat in i stopped watching it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Went to see "On The Busses" in the mid 70's with my older brother and sister and The Abominable Dr. Phibes was on before it. I don't know what age I was, under 10 anyway. Scared me senseless. When I saw it again years later, I thought it was more farce than anything else. I'm sure someone under 10 now would only laugh at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Went to see "On The Busses" in the mid 70's with my older brother and sister and The Abominable Dr. Phibes was on before it. I don't know what age I was, under 10 anyway. Scared me senseless. When I saw it again years later, I thought it was more farce than anything else. I'm sure someone under 10 now would only laugh at it!

On the Buses scares me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

not really a film i think it was a tv series but anyone remember " IT

it_new_movie_stephen_king_novel.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

salem's lot

when one of the kids are knocking on the outside window of his brother's bedroom as a vampire

think that was the only film that scared me when I was younger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Labyrinth. Watched it a few weeks back with friends and all we did was ask how did so many innuendos get into a film with David Bowie wearing such tight trousers...then we put on Zoolander and Bowie was in it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

It

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

my parents had a copy of edward penis hands and the cover looked like a horror film so I put it on. I was 8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Chucky films freaked me the **** out.

Also one time during Halloween, I think BBC had this special about a "haunted house". I watched it as an 8 year old. I was too afraid to go up to the bathroom later and ended up pissing myself : /

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Twenty years on and I still can't watch this 90 second clip without freaking out:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Not a film, but because it scared me so much I didn't watch scary stuff as a child!

Resident evil 1 on the playstaion 1. Watching the brothers played it a d up seriously messed with my sleeping patterns! Not help by my brothers mimicking the zombie groan when I was trying to sleep!

After that I knew not to go near scary films!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Watership Down, the most horrific, graphic cartoon I saw as a kid, spent however long it was on for bawling with terror.

Not a film but Ghostwatch FREAKED THE FCUK out of me the night it was shown, can remember me mam trying to calm me down, telling me they were only actors and me not believing her :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I seen Death Wish II on TV3 late one night when I was around 11 or 12 and I remember watching TV3 all the time back then thinking it was great as a "new channel" I quickly got bored when I realized most of their programming was sh1te.

It seriously freaked me out as it had a rape scene, nudity, impaling and general badness. I had forgotten about it until that lad Charles Bronson died a few years back and I researched it. Seriously messed up movie.

Also when I was around 8 or 9 I watched some Dracula movie on Halloween and slept in with my parents for a few nights after that and then with the lights on for about a month after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

The Witches based on the Roald Dahl book.
    Literally sat on the edge of my seat for the whole thing:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Goosebumps was a scary ass tv show as a kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Arachnophobia, who in gods name made that film and even worse what genius idea came into my dads head to make me watch it? I had serious nightmares from it and hallucinations and still to this day freak out from them and it gets to the point where I pass out sometimes :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Ghostbusters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Texas Chainsaw Massacre probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Those who have seen this in their youth know why. The Banshee, The death car....

this movie is U for Universal. it's not even PG!!!! :eek:

I loved that film(still do).
    I even remember what Darby calls the death coach, the coshte-bodhar(or something to that effect:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Nosferatu. Scariest vampire ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

There was an episode of Tales Of The Unexpected about a beekeeper who kept feeding queen bee's honey to his daughter and she eventually turned into a bee herself!!-couldn't sleep right for a month afterwards.
    Used stay up to watch that and Nighthawks, if it wasn't a scare from TOTU it was Kevin Macaleer staring down at me in the bed from the ceiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

xzanti wrote: »
    I have no idea it was called but it was about some guy who having a bad trip (I was told he was having a nightmare at the time) anyway lots of every day stuff like ice creams started chasing him through the town and one tried to bury him alive..

Anyone have any idea what it was called?? IIRC it may have been some sort of Sherlock Holmes type film :confused:

This rings a bell with me alright. Freaked me out too. Just googled it there and it was "Young Sherlock Holmes" (1985)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Sherlock_Holmes
    Duckjob wrote: »
    Saw "The Omen" (1976) on TV when I was 7 or 8 and was utterly traumatised by the guy getting decapitated by the glass.

I used to have nightmares about this scene too. Think I was about 10 or 11 when I watched it and I was well used to horror movies at the time. Decapitation was something new though and that scene stayed with me for a long time.

Another one that stuck in my mind was a movie where a group of people in a house told stories to get over their fears. The first one was about a couple whose car broke down late at night during a rainstorm. They take shelter in an old abandoned house. They get separated while walking around and suddenly the guy sees some sort of monster in a doorway. He grabs up a sword he found and attacks. At the last minute the "monster" turns around and reveals its his wife wearing a mask on the back of her head. She's holding a birthday cake and its revealed the whole thing was a set up and she's organised a surprise party for her husband. However, as she turns around, he's still swinging the sword in slow motion and can't stop himself. He slices her head clean off while everyone looks on in horror.

Anyone have any clue what the name of the movie is?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

water ship down
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I saw a bit of 'Brides of Dracula' (I think) in a neighbour's house when I was about eight. Anyway, there were a lot of women being sacrificed on an altar. That's pretty much all I remember, but it was enough for my young brain to torment me with for about 8 years. Scared the frickin life out of me. I slept with my teddy bear on my face for about 5 years after (so the vampires would get poor Womble first, obviously). Poor Womble... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

irishbird wrote: »
    water ship down
    :eek:

Most traumatic film of all time, as I remember. And it was a cartoon?!?!!?

This rings a bell with me alright. Freaked me out too. Just googled it there and it was "Young Sherlock Holmes" (1985)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Sherlock_Holmes

I used to have nightmares about this scene too. Think I was about 10 or 11 when I watched it and I was well used to horror movies at the time. Decapitation was something new though and that scene stayed with me for a long time.

Another one that stuck in my mind was a movie where a group of people in a house told stories to get over their fears. The first one was about a couple whose car broke down late at night during a rainstorm. They take shelter in an old abandoned house. They get separated while walking around and suddenly the guy sees some sort of monster in a doorway. He grabs up a sword he found and attacks. At the last minute the "monster" turns around and reveals its his wife wearing a mask on the back of her head. She's holding a birthday cake and its revealed the whole thing was a set up and she's organised a surprise party for her husband. However, as she turns around, he's still swinging the sword in slow motion and can't stop himself. He slices her head clean off while everyone looks on in horror.

Anyone have any clue what the name of the movie is?

I think that was either "Tales of the Unexpected" or "The Twillight Zone"??
    I was just about to post about "The Twillight Zone" when I read your post and I have defo seen that episode in one of the two above.
    My nan loved all of those shows(hence my previous post about Salems Lot:()

All of which terrified me but all of which I would watch the following week:rolleyes:.

Except after this.................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow_Man

I recommend any one who has never seen this episode of The Twillight Zone to watch this.

Genuine creepy stuff and good aul Nan had to watch the fecking things by herself after that I can tell ya:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Jumanji

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

The Beast with Five Fingers, The Birds and Rear Window. Watched them all at a very young age and they scared the bejaysus out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Dark Crystal used to creep me out as a kid. especially when the Skeksis emperor dies and when the scientist one takes the essense of the little things and turns them into zombie looking freaks with hollow faces and white eyes. Jim Henson had an amazing imagination.

pointless fact: it was meant to be completely in non-English, the Skeksis and Gelflings had their own language and was shot with the voice actors doing it that way, its why the dialogue doesnt always match what the puppets are saying, there's a bootleg floating around with the original audio, would have made it even creepier:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

IT, Carrie and Sleepwalkers. Fukn Stephen King.

Also Nightmare on Elm Street TV series, Candyman, The Lady in White...

Thanks a bunch for the censorship, parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

ScumLord wrote: »
    Robocop, my father wouldn't let me watch it but when I seen him going around the house pretending to be a robot and air spinning guns into his leg I made it my mission to watch it before the video went back that evening. It doesn't take long for that film to scare the bejaysus out of a child, the hardest part was waiting for a nonviolent part so I could run out from behind the couch and stop the tape. Ended up getting caught when the video shop fined the ol lad for not rewinding the tape.

Thats class, your dad pretending to a robot, I have a 2 little boys who do that, does that mean they will never really grow up:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

What was that horror film where the kid got sucked into the tv , and the one where the house was invested by tralanchulas (sp)

Soby wrote: »
    What was that horror film where the kid got sucked into the tv , and the one where the house was invested by tralanchulas (sp)

That was Poltergeist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I remember watching both Robocop and Predator when I was around 5 :o
    Always remember pulling the cushions over my eyes when ED209 shot the OCP exec to shreds :P ... And also pretty much every scene with the predator killing someone :o

On the subject, I dont think there is anything wrong with a kid watching certain adult movies. I turned out fine :pac: All people around the same age as me watched the same as a kid. But i'm not too sure about letting a kid watch sex scenes oddly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Not so much films, Mr Wilburforce from Under The Mountain maybe but i see the It clown is very popular. or not...

Tim Curry just has a great face imagine that bearin down on ya with suspenders and a hard-on; much scarier

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I saw The Omen when I was about 8. It scared me senseless. Also Salem's Lot - the blue headed vampire gave me nightmares for months.:eek::(

Doctor Who would also scare me as a child.

Hell, I was even scared by a cinema poster for a horror film - One Dark Night.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

Always remember seeing a film called "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte" when I was young and it was so creepy and scary at the time...my sister and I still remember watching it to this day. Must check it out and watch it again to see if it really is as scary as we remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kwack

What about Poltergeist "come into the light" or tommyknockers or children of the corn!!! That really freaked me out as a kid. Horror movies these days suck they just go for gore instead of genuine scares

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

Tommyknockers scared the crap out of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Hellraiser. My older brothers wouldn't let me out of the sitting room. I was only 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Little Mermaid... that evil bitch freaked me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

The Exorcist. (still can't watch it)
    Jaws. (Put me off learning to swim for till my teens)
    The Omen.
    An American Werewolf in London.

Fecking babysitter, I was just a nipper. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

A film called The Time Machine from the sixties. The main character travels into the future and there are these wierd creatures called Morlocks living underground. They scared the hell out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I was about 7 when I saw Indiana Jones and the Ark of the Covenant. The bit where God comes out of the Ark and the rabbi' face melt made me sh!t myself. What didn't help was my mother telling me that that's what happened to people when they looked at God because they were full of sin.

Also the part in Snow White and the Seven Dwarves where the Queen drinks the potion and starts choking and turns into the hag. Her starts coughing and screaming and hands go all wrinkly... Still gives me the creeps.

Advertisement