Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flexible lan set-up from scratch. Will pay for advice.

Options
  • 14-09-2012 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Hi there

We have a requirement to set-up a mixed wireless and wired lan for a product we're working on, in multiple venues.

We have standalone units which will have a number of Ethernet devices in each. Each one will have an inexpensive wireless router connected via a switch to all the other devices in that unit.

In turn each unit will be connecting back to a central server via wired Ethernet or wireless depending on what is available where they are placed.

IP's will need to be fixed on the devices in each unit, so either using static ip's or set in dhcp. There could be 1 of these units in place or 50 so the set-up needs to be flexible. If the set-up is wired we obviously don't want to clash with any existing hardware in that venue.

I really need help in working out how best to set the whole thing up. From whether we should use something like DD-WRT on the routers to allocations of IP's and security. There will not be heavy traffic on any of these lans. I have configured many a router in my time but have never set-up a lan from scratch before.

We'd be happy to pay someone to assist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭wandererz

How many devices in each unit which will require connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

thanks for your post.
    Looks interesting and challenging...

We're having fun here,on another topic.
    Can you organize a meeting where we can discuss your requirements and i can follow-up with a quotation ,commitment free !?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

wandererz wrote: »
    How many devices in each unit which will require connection?
    Hi,

thanks for your post.
    Looks interesting and challenging...

We're having fun here,on another topic.
    Can you organize a meeting where we can discuss your requirements and i can follow-up with a quotation ,commitment free !?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards

Hey thanks a million to both of you but someone else got there first. Another forum regular. Appreciate the assist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

good luck...
    today's motto:is not WHAT you know ,but WHO you know !! ;)
    regards

Advertisement