Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tragedy of Alexandria’s Book Market

Options
  • 14-09-2012 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Fahrenheit 451..........Egyptian style.

Found this through Peter V Brett's link.
    Thought it apt,to post this here as well.
    For the second time in the same week, I am addressing the subject of Nabi Daniel Street in Alexandria, first discussed its famous synagogue, and now I wish to write about its book market. As part of the cultural heritage of Egypt’s second largest city, this street was the subject of a vicious—and frankly barbaric—assault from the new Islamist governor. The Alexandria security service chose the early hours of Friday morning to carry out its assault on the old book market. The attackers did it in style, too; they destroyed the kiosks and threw the books savagely into piles of rubble in the street and then left without even providing an explanation to the distraught owners who depend solely on these kiosks to earn a living.

Yeah I suppose they could buy Kindle's.............but don't think they could afford them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Despicable. But at least there seems to be a fair amount of criticism being generated, and from people in authority in Egypt as well.

Advertisement