Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bivvy bag

Options
  • 14-09-2012 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can pick up a cheap bivvy bag? My son is going camping with the scouts this weekend.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can pick up a cheap bivvy bag? My son is going camping with the scouts this weekend.

Thanks

I don't know where you'd get one cheap before the weekend, to be honest. Where are you based? Does he really need a bivvy bag for the scouts? Would one of those orange emergency bags do the trick, if it's just for a night or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Not really sure - It was on the list of things that the scouts said that he needs to bring. Its just for two nights.
    Someone just explained to me that it is actually just a big, bright plastic bag!
    I now think that he will be okay without it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The bivvy bag is normally used to sleep in, keep the wind off and stop his sleeping bag getting soaked, so you may need to spring for some sort of bag, especially now that people tend not to leave those heavy fertilizer bags lying about. (I know that you shouldn't use them but when cold and wet in the eighties they were great - twitch, twitch)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Not really sure - It was on the list of things that the scouts said that he needs to bring. Its just for two nights.
    Someone just explained to me that it is actually just a big, bright plastic bag!
    I now think that he will be okay without it.

Thanks

The big bright plastic bags (usually called emergency bivvis) can be bought for less than a €10 in pretty much any outdoor shop, if you're near one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maybe they mean he should have a survival bag? That's the orange plastic bag mentioned above.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

Has anyone actually used a bivvy bag? I've always liked the simplicity of it but have been concerned about rats and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I have bivvied in a survival bag, with just a sleeping bag, and with no bag at all.

Tbh, rats are not going to be a problem, unless you leave food lying around. Unless you have food inside your bivvy bag, they won't try to get inside.

Be more concerned about midges. Get one with a mesh screen to keep them out.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

Esel wrote: »
    I have bivvied in a survival bag, and with no bag (no sleeping bag either).

Tbh, rats are not going to be a problem, unless you leave food lying around. Unless you have food inside your bivvy bag, they won't try to get inside.

Be more concerned about midges. Get one with a mesh screen to keep them out.

Thanks, I'll look into it more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I was given a goretex bivi bag by a mate.

I've used it several times, in the summer, and once in deep winter with a hard frost and 4" of snow overnight.

it had a drawstring at the top and I sealed it right up, no gaps.

keep out of the wind and you'll be toasty!

Advertisement