Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six in the City

• 14-09-2012 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Well Gang, anyone catch this show on RTE2 last night, opinions thoughts on the portrayal of Limerick, surprised their wasn't a thread started already,
    as a show i thought itt was a pretty good idea, some poor commentary and not as slick as a full time production of the show would be BUT, as per usual I feel a little let down by the view if gave on Limerick, any thoughts people ? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

BobMc wrote: »
    Well Gang, anyone catch this show on RTE2 last night, opinions thoughts on the portrayal of Limerick, surprised their wasn't a thread started already,
    as a show i thought itt was a pretty good idea, some poor commentary and not as slick as a full time production of the show would be BUT, as per usual I feel a little let down by the view if gave on Limerick, any thoughts people ? :)

From what I've heard, I think I'm glad I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

they were a holy show, your one is from the arsehole of Limerick moved to corbally and has a half an english accent, that keeps breaking in and out. she is on 95fm at the moment, jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Beaver1 wrote: »
    they were a holy show, your one is from the arsehole of Limerick moved to corbally and has a half an english accent, that keeps breaking in and out. she is on 95fm at the moment, jesus wept

Apparently she named her first child Tavern after her favourite pub. Wonder is it The Glen Tavern. They should rename the place if it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

I agree was a bit of a horror show alright, was not impressed but the complete lack of manners and respect, my wife and I cringed through most of it was most disappointed that its making all of us as citizens of limerick look like a pack of skobes

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

What bugged me the most was the blatant stereotyping of the three cities.

Limerick => Ruffians.
    Dublin => Well to do sorts/snobs.
    Galway => Flakes (yer man was a musician and she was an American free spirit).

The joke is on the licence fee payer however, the shower from Limerick are off to Benidorm with the prize money I think she said.

• Advertisement

What bugged me the most was the blatant stereotyping of the three cities.

Limerick => Ruffians.
    Dublin => Well to do sorts/snobs.
    Galway => Flakes (yer man was a musician and she was an American free spirit).

The joke is on the licence fee payer however, the shower from Limerick are off to Benidorm with the prize money I think she said.
    they might even be too low brow for benidorm :D

BobMc wrote: »
    they might even be too low brow for benidorm :D

Ha. You're probably right. When handed a glass of wine last night she did say "I only drink wine to get langers luv".

and for colds as medicine !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

i think the show won't have done limerick's reputation any good, i don't think the limerick couple are necessarily a fair representation of limerick people but as someone said the show wanted to portray limerick types as knackers, galway types as crusties and dublin types as snobs

whereas the reality is you get all these types in all cities

you could say the contestants were manipulated to an extent, but the lack of self-awareness particularly from the limerick couple was amazing

donfers wrote: »
    i think the show won't have done limerick's reputation any good, i don't think the limerick couple are necessarily a fair representation of limerick people but as someone said the show wanted to portray limerick types as knackers, galway types as crusties and dublin types as snobs

whereas the reality is you get all these types in all cities

you could say the contestants were manipulated to an extent, but the lack of self-awareness particularly from the limerick couple was amazing

Agree completely. I think the Limerick couple were exploited and were too thick to notice.

This is what the RTE website had to say about them....

Unemployed Karaoke addict Danny and his partner Tammy, a full time mum, are unapologetic party monsters.  They like drinking, raucous sing-a-longa Rhianna sessions and their idea of a slap-up meal is an all-you-can eat buffet; although they can stretch to a nice buzzy western-themed steakhouse if they’re out to impress.

http://www.rte.ie/presspack/2012/09/13/format-farm-six-in-the-city/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah they definitely manipulated that couple, it's fairly cringe worthy. :o

I feel embarrassed for them. :o

IMO the Limerick stereotype is the worst of the three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Just had a look at the Limerick part of it on the RTE player......quite shocking alright!! Fairly painful to watch!!

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10052674 (if anyone wants a look)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Yeah they definitely manipulated that couple, it's fairly cringe worthy. :o

I feel embarrassed for them. :o

IMO the Limerick stereotype is the worst of the three.

The thing is, they'll say, they don't care, they get their week in Benidorm or whatever but for years to come they'll have the piss mercilessly ripped out of them and then they'll care and then they'll realise they were manipulated.

Certainly the portrayal of Limerick was by far the most damaging, the tourism people won't be happy.

Out of interest, what did the Limerick woman say on the radio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

She loves "Volka" though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

That was awful. Im only living in Limerick a short while and Im blue in the face telling people it's not that bad, then these pair of pure knackers are the ones representing Limerick. They hadn't a brain cell between them. Imagine taking them to a michelin restaurant only for them to gag and scream about how they couldn't eat it and was there no chips?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I only saw a few mins this morning before I went to work and believe me that was enough! Shocking programme, wasnt even funny! Glad to see our taxes getting spent wisely...not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

"We'll keep the cheque but you can have the publicity" Thanks :rolleyes:

Just listened to the audio here in work through the RTE player, they came across very, very badly in fairness, they didn't want to move outside their comfort zone at all. They were the most vocal when it came to criticising people and complaining about food etc.

Car crash TV.

donfers wrote: »

Out of interest, what did the Limerick woman say on the radio?

Basically that they don't care that people thought the other couples were posh and they weren't, that if people got to know her they might think differently of her and at the end of the day, they won the prize so everyone else can fcuk off with their opinions!!

Or at least that's how it seemed to me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

The rocky horror show wouldnt get a look in - the two from Limerick were off their trollies & as common as **** - good crack though if you could get a word in. The two from Dublin were full of crap -complete snobs, how they appeared on the show is beyond me & your man from Galway was ok but she was full of it.
    It was a bit like watching the Republic of Telly without the plastic bags:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Agree completely. I think the Limerick couple were exploited and were too thick to notice.

Definately exploited.

Her accent is the extreme Limerick accent and the one most Limerick people cringe about when they hear it in the Media. Her accent includes her pronunciation of certain words and placements of the wrong words in a sentence. The strong Limerick accent is truly weird. :rolleyes:

I just didn't like her unwillingness to explore new foods and was shocked when she asked for chips in that Dublin restaurant.

And Benidorm, what a choice but then again I know we are different peas in different pods.

Her partner. I could take him or leave him, just very loud.

Dublin fella. Michael Flatly anybody?

• Advertisement

I heard on the radio this morning that the Dublin fella was on Come Dine With Me last year. Likes the spotlight methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭EMTFlynn

Nice house too for people unemployed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

I heard on the radio this morning that the Dublin fella was on Come Dine With Me last year. Likes the spotlight methinks.

He wouldnt need a spotlight with the green shirt he'd on - he'd just glow in the dark. I was wondering how he did the karaoke in Limerick alright - they probably had to drag the microphone away from him off camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GHER

The stereotyping was cringeworthy but without a doubt the Limerick couple came off the worst. I was almost in tears watching it, laughing at first then my mood changed halfway through when they got nasty. I have a garden gnome with a higher level of emotional and social intelligence. "I was just being myself" is no excuse for the lack of respect they showed towards the others, even if they were ar**holes. You can't justify your behaviour by "boasting" about the fact you have the "courage" to be yourself. Apologies about the quotation marks by the way, I just didn't know how else to phrase it.

But if the aim of the show was to cause controversy then mission accomplished. Once again we're in the news for all the wrong reasons.

Cheers RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

GHER wrote: »
    IMO they disgraced the city, even if there was some manipulative editing.

Most people wouldn't consider the making of a city to revolve around the actions of a traveller(said it herself) and an English guy.

As a friend of mine watching it and posting at the same time posted up on Facebook saying, "I bet they end up in the Chicken hut". :D

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Most people wouldn't consider the making of a city to revolve around the actions of a traveller(said it herself) and an English guy.

As a friend of mine watching it and posting at the same time posted up on Facebook saying, "I bet they end up in the Chicken hut". :D

When they were getting off the bus at that area of O'Connell Street I was full sure that's where they were going!!! They said it wasn't going to be Indian or Chinese, I would have put money on for chicken hut!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Catxscotch wrote: »
    That was awful. Im only living in Limerick a short while and Im blue in the face telling people it's not that bad, then these pair of pure knackers are the ones representing Limerick. They hadn't a brain cell between them. Imagine taking them to a michelin restaurant only for them to gag and scream about how they couldn't eat it and was there no chips?!

Welcome to our nightmare friend, the second I heard they were planning this kind of programme I knew what was coming

You should have seen the few "Prime time Investigates" episodes on the city, you know the same Prime Time Investigates that was taken off the air in disgrace for their episode on Fr Reynolds ( who would never have been vindicated were it not for the fact they claimed he fathered a child, had he been accused of rape he wouldn't have had a leg to stand on)

Creighons Cities recently did a job on us recently also ( not as bad as other admittedly )

Pat Kenny ( the presenter who is paid €900k per annum ) found a young fella carrying a gun live on his morning show while he was broadcasting his show from Moyross...

This is our national broadcaster who we all pay our tv licence to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I echo Bock The Robbers sentiments on Twitter:

Where did they get these ****ing waahs in Six in the City? Did RTE search Limerick for the two thickest gob****es they could find?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's good to see our TV licence money is spent on making top quality programs like this. I won't even comment on the trash that took part in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Another nice little stitch up from RTE...

first of all the Prime Time...

Now this... They must have been creaming in there pants when they got to pick the completely different chaulk and cheese. Perfect crap car crash TV to get some lame ratings... complete embarrassment for people of limerick.

I AM NEVER PAYING MY TV LICENSE......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement