Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six in the City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

typical RTE they should have picked 3 couples with the same sort of backgrounds to make it fair,as usual it did limerick no favours,2 skangers and yer one with de worst knacker accent you can hear.
    As one poster pointed,nice house for 2 unemployed people, probably regenerated from some ****ehole.By the way did she call one of her kids Tavern or Tavrin?????

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks, there's a TV Forum on here if you want to discuss TV, also, not paying your TV License is against the law if you have a device capable of receiving a signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

daveob007 wrote: »
    typical RTE they should have picked 3 couples with the same sort of backgrounds to make it fair,as usual it did limerick no favours,2 skangers and yer one with de worst knacker accent you can hear.
    As one poster pointed,nice house for 2 unemployed people, probably regenerated from some ****ehole.By the way did she call one of her kids Tavern or Tavrin?????

Tavern after her favourite pub, The Tavern Inn. The other kid was called Levi after the third son of Jacob the famous demin manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Tavern after her favourite pub, The Tavern Inn. The other kid was called Levi after the third son of Jacob the famous demin manufacturers.
    You sure? Perhaps it is Levy after the income, or pension, levy that she pays, oh, wait...!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

it was just the accent that made it sound like tavrin....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 danny and tammy

hahahahaha we love the way people going on about our nice house.....it doesnt cost ANYTHING to be clean.......everyone is blowing the whole show out of proportion and to be honest if it was as bad as you all think why the hell did you watch it........we know we are not going to please everyone but my god you really must have not got anything exciting in your lives at the moment to be sitting there writing things for your own enjoyment .....it makes you no better than us......so please before you judge anyone ...MAKE SURE YOUR PERFECT FIRST.....we are not going to waste anymore of our quality time reading anymore of these comments because they really aint getting to us and in fact are boring yet entertaining...so you guys just work away ......hahahahahahahaha :p

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

How much did the house cost to buy and who bought it I believe is what they are highlighting, however thats neither here nor there.

It is a shame that RTE would do this - I think every person I've met or talked to about the show is in complete shock at some of the behaviour they aired and how they wrapped it around as being the "best" of Limerick city. The fact that they went with 3 extreme sterotypes shows that they were trying to create shock TV which is a shame because a show like this has potential to promote tourism to Ireland's cities. Shannon Development and Failte Ireland really should be reaching out to RTE and asking them not to portray Irish cities in overly negative ways.

At least when TV3 attack Limerick they highlight the problems as pockets of gang activity in the city, whereas RTE are hell beant on making it seem that scumbuggary is the norm in Limerick - shows like this are far more damaging then highlighting the gang problem!

In saying all that although the couple obviously highlighted the extreme negative sterotypes and I dont for a second condone their disgusting behaviour/attitude and lack of respect (nor RTE's selection of them and airing of their antics) I do think that their selections werent as bad as the show made out. The tour bus into the city was a fantastic idea and while Texas Steakhouse doesnt represent the finest Limerick has to offer, its a good solid restaurant and was criticised a bit too strongly, in my opinion. The trip to Limerick Greyhound Stadium didnt go down well at all with the Dublin couple but it is a brilliant venue and highlights Limerick's Sporting mentality. Going to the rough pub - I really dont know why they would bring people from out of town there, nevermind a camera crew - but sure each to their own.

Thinking about it afterwards, what would you do to highlight the best of the city? The tour bus would deffo stay, aside from the greyhound track its hard to think of evening 'events' to bring people to in Limerick (which represent the best of the city), maybe organise night tour of Thomond Park (??), eat in Freddies, Hamptons or Cornstore and then go back into cornstore or savoy bar or somewhere for cocktails or something?!? Its tough to make the city seem cosmopolitan within the parameters of the show...

Id be interested to hear what others would do??

who in gods name said our house was bought???? and even if it was which it aint wahat bloody bussiness of anyone???? is your house bought???? how much is it worth??? u wont tell me because its none of my bloody bussiness...like whys its no one elses bussiness.....god people make us laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

who in gods name said our house was bought???? and even if it was which it aint wahat bloody bussiness of anyone???? is your house bought???? how much is it worth??? u wont tell me because its none of my bloody bussiness...like whys its no one elses bussiness.....god people make us laugh :D

I don't know if this is really the people from the show, but I will say one thing I've said on here before in relation to Rich Anton.....If you put your self in the public light, expect to have talk about you, also expect that some will have negative comments to make about you.

While there were some negative comments here about the couple (still not sure if it's actually you or someone trolling) the majority of the comments are about the format the producers of the show used. Which limited the view of each city to a stereotype, instead of truly allowing the show to display the best that each city has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

how did ye afford to hire the bus, pay for the meal, a night at the racesand a night in the pub all on social welfare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

source wrote: »
    I don't know if this is really the people from the show, but I will say one thing I've said on here before in relation to Rich Anton.....If you put your self in the public light, expect to have talk about you, also expect that some will have negative comments to make about you.

While there were some negative comments here about the couple (still not sure if it's actually you or someone trolling) the majority of the comments are about the format the producers of the show used. Which limited the view of each city to a stereotype, instead of truly allowing the show to display the best that each city has to offer.

Thats not the real Tammy and Danny as they couldn't speak so I would imagine their spelling wouldn't be too good either unlike what was posted bar the couple of "obvious" mistakes in the second post:D

shows how much people really actually know....if you read the ad for the show when they were looking for couples to enter it clearly states ALL EXPENSES PAID for 3 weekends...even down to the off licence to buy the cocktails for them.....they paid for everything including putting us up in the G hotel in galway....travel and everything.....thats why we went on it.....r u telling me you wouldnt go for all expenses paid nights out......we both feel rte let all the couples down because there was a hell of alot recording done but they took the bits they wanted and yes they did manipulate us but you know what...at the end of the day we WON stop bloody moaning about things you clearly know nothing about.......there have been far more positive comments than negative and we want to thank the non narrow minded people for their support....and to the rest of you you will have something else to talk about next week so get over it xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Where are all the positive comments???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

shows how much people really actually know....if you read the ad for the show when they were looking for couples to enter it clearly states ALL EXPENSES PAID for 3 weekends...even down to the off licence to buy the cocktails for them.....they paid for everything including putting us up in the G hotel in galway....travel and everything.....thats why we went on it.....r u telling me you wouldnt go for all expenses paid nights out......we both feel rte let all the couples down because there was a hell of alot recording done but they took the bits they wanted and yes they did manipulate us but you know what...at the end of the day we WON stop bloody moaning about things you clearly know nothing about.......there have been far more positive comments than negative and we want to thank the non narrow minded people for their support....and to the rest of you you will have something else to talk about next week so get over it xxx

RTE didn't make you behave in such a shameful "zero class" manner. Winning doesn't excuse your behaviour either. Frankly, to the decent people of this city, you are nothing but a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You're "open mindedness" was there for all to see in the restuarante in Dublin

You won by virtue of giving your compeditors a fraction of the points they gave you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

last comment .....thanks for your views.....we aint listening everyones got their own opinion as for we cant spell well obviously we can so have a nice life peeps coz i know we will xxxxxx

Please spell business

They answered with bussiness.

I doubt it is them. Probably some troll with a micro p**is

I challenge you to prove your identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You're "open mindedness" was there for all to see in the restuarante in Dublin

You won by virtue of giving your compeditors a fraction of the points they gave you

I have seen people do this before on CDWM and the show made them change the score they gave the other contestants albeit not by much!

Its absolutely rude and ignorant to not treat other contestants with respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Hooked

On a side note... I'm just watching come dine with me on Channel 4... Irish version. Must be a re run.

Guess who's hosting the final night?

Iiiitttsssss.... MARTIN! (of the Dublin couple on Six in the City). The wife must have made him dress younger and grow his hair as I almost missed it was him.

The camera whore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hooked wrote: »
    Iiiitttsssss.... MARTIN! (of the Dublin couple on Six in the City). The wife must have made him dress younger and grow his hair as I almost missed it was him.

The camera whore!

Divorced in Come Dine With Me and different house. In Six in the City you'd think he was with his new missus for much longer than a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ccate

I heard on the radio this morning that the Dublin fella was on Come Dine With Me last year. Likes the spotlight methinks.
    Yes, the just showed The come dine with me on Channel 4 and the Dub oldest Swinger Martin was on it, bar the Mrs! Jays us what are they like.... Swing back from the 70's... He obviously thinks he is TV material... Someone like him makes me want to puke and his silly lady... How he rescued her from Drogheda OMG... She is obviously v naive and sheltered .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Watching the CDWM now with Martin coming up...

That Limerick couple just shocked me the other night. Their lack of manners in the Dublin restaurant was beyond belief.

They both seemed a bit simple to me being completely honest.

And I definitely think they should have been made "re-do" their votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

Guys, come on. What would you expect from a pig but a grunt? You wouldn't blame a dog for barking so why would you blame Danny and Tammy for being uncouth, uneducated thicks?

Whoever selected them did so deliberately to reinforce a Limerick stereotype, and that's where the questions need to be asked. Is it deliberate RTE policy to portray Limerick in a negative light, with all the consequent economic harm such an image causes?

This was highly irresponsible programming by a station that clearly does not see itself as the national broadcaster, despite being subsidised by all our licence fees. Irresponsible and lazy, as some talentless producer reached for the nearest available cliché instead of taking the trouble to think outside the Montrose mutual-congratulation bubble.

No wonder RTÉ is such a mediocre station when clearly it's run by people from a very small neighbourhood of Dublin putting out programmes to satisfy the prejudices of their friends and neighbours.

Incestuous or wha'?

When they get finished with sorting out the pampered medical consultants, wouldn't it be a good idea to start examining closely the bona fides of the RTÉ hacks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Bock, surely it WakaTV and not RTE who are at fault here.

RTE would have only either commissioned or purchased the show and surely wouldn't have been involved in selecting the contestants.

The RTE website application e-mail itself is as Wakatv e-mail address. marion@wakatv.ie

http://www.rte.ie/tv/audienceparticipation/sixinthecity.html

No. Not good enough.

RTÉ broadcast the show, and therefore they carry full responsibility. They had the choice not to buy it from the fools who made it, and if they were unable to see the shallowness of the mindset behind it, that makes them look even more incompetent.

Besides, have a read of their website at the moment:

IT expert Martin and office administrator Fiona are immaculately coiffed, Algarve-tanned gym addicts who love fine dining, good wines, and the kind of discreet late-night piano bars where well-heeled Dublin socialites like to party with impunity into the wee small hours.

Professional musician Tom & his fiancé Courtney, who’s a medical secretary, love the Galway Indie music scene. They like to eat healthily and are fans of the ‘foraged food’ movement. Tom and Courtney also love Galway’s small but burgeoning burlesque scene.

Unemployed Karaoke addict Danny and his partner Tammy, a full time mum, are unapologetic party monsters. They like drinking, raucous sing-a-longa Rhianna sessions and their idea of a slap-up meal is an all-you-can eat buffet; although they can stretch to a nice buzzy western-themed steakhouse if they’re out to impress.

And all three couples are out to impress as gourmands Martin and Fiona introduce buffet bandits Danny and Tammy to Dublin’s 5 Star Restuarant scene, Boho duo Tom and Courtney introduce their guests to the tassle teated joys of amateur Burlesque and Danny and Tammy fly the flag for alcopops, dog racing and extreme karaoke – Limerick stylee…

How pathetic is that? And it's on RTÉ's website -- our national broadcaster, paid for by everyone, even us Limerick idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

No. Not good enough.

RTÉ broadcast the show, and therefore they carry full responsibility. They had the choice not to buy it from the fools who made it, and if they were unable to see the shallowness of the mindset behind it, that makes them look even more incompetent.

Besides, have a read of their website at the moment:

IT expert Martin and office administrator Fiona are immaculately coiffed, Algarve-tanned gym addicts who love fine dining, good wines, and the kind of discreet late-night piano bars where well-heeled Dublin socialites like to party with impunity into the wee small hours.

Professional musician Tom & his fiancé Courtney, who’s a medical secretary, love the Galway Indie music scene. They like to eat healthily and are fans of the ‘foraged food’ movement. Tom and Courtney also love Galway’s small but burgeoning burlesque scene.

Unemployed Karaoke addict Danny and his partner Tammy, a full time mum, are unapologetic party monsters. They like drinking, raucous sing-a-longa Rhianna sessions and their idea of a slap-up meal is an all-you-can eat buffet; although they can stretch to a nice buzzy western-themed steakhouse if they’re out to impress.

And all three couples are out to impress as gourmands Martin and Fiona introduce buffet bandits Danny and Tammy to Dublin’s 5 Star Restuarant scene, Boho duo Tom and Courtney introduce their guests to the tassle teated joys of amateur Burlesque and Danny and Tammy fly the flag for alcopops, dog racing and extreme karaoke – Limerick stylee…

How pathetic is that? And it's on RTÉ's website -- our national broadcaster, paid for by everyone, even us Limerick idiots.

I can't agree more with the above statement, we need to cop onto this one, not argue amongst ourselves whether this treatment is justified or not, no other part of this country gets this kind of treatment, its impact is devastating

If you think I'm exagerrating the impact, bear in mind companies spend tens of thousands of euro for a minute of airtime on television

It is a tragedy that the only TV network that have filmed a programme in Limerick without pursuing that particular agenda is the BBC ( Three men in a boat, Terry Wogans Tour of Ireland)

RTE's behaviour is disgraceful, they make it easier for other media outlets behave in the same way, please note how little our politicians have helped us with this very heavy cross we all have to bear

I know it is a liitle off topic, perhaps a thread all of its own is justified

I'm preparing a submission to the Broadcasting Complaints Commission. Normally, I wouldn't think of doing such a thing, but this sort of mindless smear is more than just a laugh. It causes economic damage to an entire city. It costs jobs and I've had enough of it.

Here's my take on the whole thing, for what it's worth.

http://bocktherobber.com/2012/09/six-in-the-city-and-enemy-action/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

Well said bock in your blog. Few months ago an assault took place in Thurles sadly a young man died in the incident. Not saying it shouldn't have made the news and no disrespect to the family of the young man who died but the Rté cameramen were straight down and made it look like the town was full of violent people ignoring the facts that the accused (everyone knows he did it but innocent until proving guilty) was not even from the town and random attacks never happened in the town before this yet they went on about alcohol and drugs problems. Not saying Tipperary has no alcohol or drug problems but this didn't even involve drugs and Rté should not say things without proof and don't care if they ruin tourism/business for towns/cities. Prime Time even ran the story. More serious crimes have happened in this country (again no disrespect to the family) especially Dublin. Don't see them broadcasting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I hadn't actually bothered to view this till now, and for anyone else who hasn't seen it, you can catch it on the RTE player here-

http://www.rte.ie/tvplayer/ie/show/10052674/

tammy? call me! :P

danny? you can feck right off! :pac:

• Advertisement

Interesting Twitter exchange between me and the programme maker. I've labelled each of us with the Twitter @handle to avoid confusion.

@patomahony1 If a series I’d accept that. V diff to get ppl for 1-off pilot. They were 1st (only from Lk) to volunteer

@BocktheRobber If you didn’t have enough subjects, it was time for a rethink. Lazy stereotyping that hurt an entire city.

@Pat O’Mahony BTW given our schedule we didn’t have time for a re-think. Not production company’s fault.

@BocktheRobber. You’re irrelevant. RTE are the real culprits and that’s where the pressure will be applied.

@Pat O’Mahony ? Good luck with that one.

@BocktheRobberKeep following that line, Pat. The more arrogantly you behave, the more it underlines my point.

@patomahony1Ah right. I disagree with you and I’m arrogant. Nice one.

@BocktheRobber Disagree with anyone you want to, Pat. RTE are the problem. You’re free to make whatever shallow, lazy documentaries you like.

@patomahony1And who pays for ‘em? No one? The fairies? Who? Yup, the broadcasters. So I have to make what they want. It’s the real world.

@BocktheRobberAs I said, you’re irrelevant. And by the way, our licence fees fund the broadcaster that paid you. The real world, you say?

@patomahony1 I’m irrelevant. You’re irrelevant. Hey, let’s call each other names. That’s sensible. BTW the tweetup invite still stands.

@BocktheRobber I’m not calling you names. I’m saying you’re not relevant to this debate. RTE are the people who broadcast the programme.

@patomahony1 We’re all part of it. Viewers, participants, producers, advertisers, commissioners/broadcasters… Anyway, enough for now. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement