Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six in the City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

RTE didn't make you behave in such a shameful "zero class" manner. Winning doesn't excuse your behaviour either. Frankly, to the decent people of this city, you are nothing but a disgrace.

Disgrace?? Really? Bit Harsh.

For having a bit of a laugh on some God awful TV show. They were the only entertaining element of the show in my opinion.

Sure they were rude and loud but they didn't do anything offensive or illegal like. They did what they probably do of any night out/celebration in their lifes.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

SoCo2009 wrote: »

They did what they probably do of any night out/celebration in their lifes.

Precisely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Interesting Twitter exchange between me and the programme maker...

Meh, it wasn't all that interesting actually, but then I'm not gone on twitcrap anyway, and why would you go after the program maker when you acknowledge yourself that they are irrelevant? Surely your beef would be with the person in RTE responsible for buying this stuff from the production company?

In all honesty I watched about a minute of it before I was able to say it was crap! It was done in the "CDWM smart árse commentator style", purely meant as a "how the other half lives" effort, and all you've managed to do is carry on the little bit of publicity it's getting when it would otherwise have been forgotten five minutes later.

How many hits has your website received since you started posting in the thread? A quick look at your web stats counter should be able to tell you, since you're so forthcoming with your twitspats!

The programme was clearly made in a "tongue in cheek" format, pitting social extremes against each other in the name of light entertainment, and it is actually YOU bock who should credit the people viewing it with a bit more intelligence than to think the participants were "the norm" in their respective cities.

A quick browse through your own website shows you are not averse to showing your own city in a bad light for anyone that cares to read your blog-

http://bocktherobber.com/2006/10/limerick-travellers-protest/

In my opinion you are trying to stir up a bit of controversy where really there is none, and I cannot see the BCC upholding your complaint either, as these contestants only showed themselves in a bad light, and not the city of Limerick itself.

If you read it properly, you'd know that the programme maker went after me.

Must try harder.

If you read it properly, you'd know that the programme maker went after me.

Must try harder.

I actually did try harder, I had to do a search for you on twitter as there was no link on your blog, but I can't make head nor tails of twitter anyway because the ugly format and bad layout hurts my eyes (neither here nor there, I know!), so you'll have to excuse the fact I got one point wrong.

Anyway, I'll just presume you consider the rest of my post irrelevant and carry on about your crusade. Good luck with that publicity hunt.

Feckall comment on your site actually commending RTE about the fantastic documentary that was shown a while back about the history of Ranks Mills, or John Creedon's excellent documentary that was shown recently.

You seem to have an awful bee in your bonnet for RTE and are using a silly light entertainment piece as a stick to beat them over the head. I'd respectfully suggest that you might want to take a more impartial look at what RTE broadcast instead of constantly striving to seek out the negative when RTE themselves were not responsible for how this couple behaved.

Trust me when I say this Bock- nobody in Ireland but you would construe this píss poor program as a representative image of Limerick City!

• Advertisement

There's a lot of whataboutery in your comment. Just so we can keep this thread on track, it isn't about Ranks Mills or anything else.

This is about lazy programming damaging my children's prospects. If you have a difficulty with a Limerickman objecting to lazy depictions of my town, take it somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mickey1206

Irrespective of the situation the Limerick couple were downright rude, obnoxious and they thought nothing of taking peoples character!! Absolute crass!!

What bugged me the most was the blatant stereotyping of the three cities.

Limerick => Ruffians.
    Dublin => Well to do sorts/snobs.
    Galway => Flakes (yer man was a musician and she was an American free spirit).

The joke is on the licence fee payer however, the shower from Limerick are off to Benidorm with the prize money I think she said.

The only couple that were snobs were the Limerick couple as they were the only ones to talk constantly about class difference.

Agree completely. I think the Limerick couple were exploited and were too thick to notice.

This is what the RTE website had to say about them....

Unemployed Karaoke addict Danny and his partner Tammy, a full time mum, are unapologetic party monsters. They like drinking, raucous sing-a-longa Rhianna sessions and their idea of a slap-up meal is an all-you-can eat buffet; although they can stretch to a nice buzzy western-themed steakhouse if they’re out to impress.

http://www.rte.ie/presspack/2012/09/13/format-farm-six-in-the-city/

All couples seemed to have been treated the same but it was the Limerick couples choice to choose to be vulgar, ignorant, rude. Then to top it off the nutter Danny had the gaul to say that Limerick would be proud for them taking the prize home to Limerick so they can go to Benidorm!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Benidorm? Classy..........

• Advertisement

In what sense were they the Limerick couple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

You seem to have an awful bee in your bonnet for RTE and are using a silly light entertainment piece as a stick to beat them over the head. I'd respectfully suggest that you might want to take a more impartial look at what RTE broadcast instead of constantly striving to seek out the negative when RTE themselves were not responsible for how this couple behaved.

Trust me when I say this Bock- nobody in Ireland but you would construe this píss poor program as a representative image of Limerick City!

Actually judging by the comments on twitter alone it appears the tv show served to reinforce a lot of people's negative opinion of Limerick. It might not be necessarily representative of the entire country but is carries more weight than your proclamation on the behalf of the the entire country.

Judging by your previous posts on related matters it might also be suggested that you also have a bee in your bonnet about anyone offering a negative opinion of Limerick. Something which you then use as a stick to beat them over the head with.

I respectfully suggest that you don't dismiss discussion of the negative aspects of our city in such a manner that comes across as if you are trying to isolate the poster in question as having an agenda in order to diminish the points they are making. Whether that is your intention or not, it is certainly the impression that you are giving.

GHER wrote: »
    The stereotyping was cringeworthy but without a doubt the Limerick couple came off the worst. I was almost in tears watching it, laughing at first then my mood changed halfway through when they got nasty. I have a garden gnome with a higher level of emotional and social intelligence. "I was just being myself" is no excuse for the lack of respect they showed towards the others, even if they were ar**holes. You can't justify your behaviour by "boasting" about the fact you have the "courage" to be yourself. Apologies about the quotation marks by the way, I just didn't know how else to phrase it.

But if the aim of the show was to cause controversy then mission accomplished. Once again we're in the news for all the wrong reasons.

Cheers RTE.

They were all approached in the same way!! The Limerick couple just chose to be rude, ignorant, disrespectful. they were after the money. that's all!!

There's a lot of whataboutery in your comment. Just so we can keep this thread on track, it isn't about Ranks Mills or anything else.

This is about lazy programming damaging my children's prospects. If you have a difficulty with a Limerickman objecting to lazy depictions of my town, take it somewhere else.

Might I ask, with all due respect, but, WHERE did you pull that from? It's actually such a broad statement that I think it's best we just leave it there, as in MY opinion it's highly irrelevant to the discussion and I have no wish to personalise the discussion at that level.

And without lowering myself to an e-penis measuring contest, I am a far more regular contributor to the Limerick forum on Boards.ie than you have been, in the length of time you've been a member of this particular site, and somehow I don't think I'd be welcome on your blog.

I have already in a previous post pointed out the fact that you are not averse to pointing out lazy depictions of your own city own blog, but I won't ask you to comment here on those as you quite rightly point out that's not what this thread is about.

It is also not about you furthering your personal crusade against the media, who, as I have shown in my previous posts have given Limerick City much positive publicity that is not covered in your blog.

This thread is about a couple from Limerick City who participated in a light hearted program that while it wasn't to my personal taste either, did NOT in MY opinion represent Limerick City in either a positive or negative light as it was unlikely the general viewing audience would take the program as a whole seriously.

Might I ask, with all due respect, but, WHERE did you pull that from? It's actually such a broad statement that I think it's best we just leave it there, as in MY opinion it's highly irrelevant to the discussion and I have no wish to personalise the discussion at that level.

And without lowering myself to an e-penis measuring contest, I am a far more regular contributor to the Limerick forum on Boards.ie than you have been, in the length of time you've been a member of this particular site, and somehow I don't think I'd be welcome on your blog.

I have already in a previous post pointed out the fact that you are not averse to pointing out lazy depictions of your own city own blog, but I won't ask you to comment here on those as you quite rightly point out that's not what this thread is about.

It is also not about you furthering your personal crusade against the media, who, as I have shown in my previous posts have given Limerick City much positive publicity that is not covered in your blog.

This thread is about a couple from Limerick City who participated in a light hearted program that while it wasn't to my personal taste either, did NOT in MY opinion represent Limerick City in either a positive or negative light as it was unlikely the general viewing audience would take the program as a whole seriously.

It's not about me. Try to stay focussed. It's about RTE's decision to broadcast a particular programme with a particular bias.

Is that hard work for you?

SoCo2009 wrote: »

For having a bit of a laugh on some God awful TV show. They were the only entertaining element of the show in my opinion.

Sure they were rude and loud but they didn't do anything offensive or illegal like. They did what they probably do of any night out/celebration in their lifes.

hang on they cheated, they attacked peoples character, they lied, they were rude, obnoxious, vulgar!! Maybe to you that's not much bot to most average people that behaviour is not acceptable???

mickey1206 wrote: »

Mickey please stop, you're disrupting the flow of discussion spamming that link all over the thread. Once was enough!

I think it is highly relevant as it reinforces a negative stereotype of Limerick that only serves to damage the reputation of the city. A reputation that does us no favours when it comes to attracting tourists and jobs to the region, both of which are essential to the economic recovery. I reckon that is where Bock is coming from.

Your first claim doesn't actually excuse you to then do just that. Your post count doesn't afford you any level of rank above other posters here or add any weight to your opinion.

Your opinion does not equate to everyone else having the same opinion. You seem to struggle with this concept. You are not averse to making lazy generalizations yourself you know. It is quite clear from the online feedback and the feedback on radio shows that this tv show once again put Limerick and Limerick people in a bad spotlight that played up to and reinforced a negative stereotype of the city, one that people on twitter and elsewhere were then quick to play upon for their own amusement.

RTE may have broadcast some positive shows about Limerick but they have broadcast far more negative ones and damaging ones over the years. Complacency on behalf of the viewing public will only serve to let them continue in this manner.

Remember the viewing figures for an RTE show is far far more than any number of I Love Limerick PR videos on youtube or other such efforts to rebrand Limerick.

Actually judging by the comments on twitter alone it appears the tv show served to reinforce a lot of people's negative opinion of Limerick. It might not be necessarily representative of the entire country but is carries more weight than your proclamation on the behalf of the the entire country.

It's a sad state of affairs when we have to use twitter as a barometer to guage the opinion of the general public! In my opinion then, there's not too many people I know that give any regard to programmes like this when they think of Limerick City.
    Judging by your previous posts on related matters it might also be suggested that you also have a bee in your bonnet about anyone offering a negative opinion of Limerick. Something which you then use as a stick to beat them over the head with.

I DO have a bee in my bonnet about anyone offering a negative opinion of Limerick. I have no time for negative people nor negative opinions generally speaking anyway. I wouldn't beat them over the head with it though, I'm all for respectful discussion me!
    I respectfully suggest that you don't dismiss discussion of the negative aspects of our city in such a manner that comes across as if you are trying to isolate the poster in question as having an agenda in order to diminish the points they are making. Whether that is your intention or not, it is certainly the impression that you are giving.

I am not trying to isolate anyone at all MH, all opinions welcome around here, but I too am entitled to question why a poster might hold such an opinion. Bock is actually suggesting that it is RTE who is painting our city in a negative light, so I think you'll have to talk to Bock if you want to discuss the negative aspects of our city. They might use their blog to highlight your issues!

What's the name of their blog again? The blog by the poster from Limerick that is complaining that the media portrays Limerick in a bad light?

Oh that's right- Bock The Robber. Ok then.

It's not about me. Try to stay focussed. It's about RTE's decision to broadcast a particular programme with a particular bias.

Is that hard work for you?

Bock you made it about you when you published your personal twitter comments earlier. It would've made my work easier though had you just linked to them instead of having me go to your site, finding there was no link to your twitter profile, and then having to go on twitter and try and do a search for the relevant piece you posted.

But I agree, we should stay focussed- RTE did not broadcast a program with any particular bias. If they had broadcast the "Danny and Tammy show", then you might have a point, and even then you'd be stretching it as not that much of Limerick City was shown. What WAS shown, was a regular night out for ONE couple in Limerick City. I don't know if any tourist would base their decision to visit Limerick on the basis of one couple's night out in Limerick City.

In fact if you google "tourism limerick" (I did the hard work for you!), this programme doesn't show up at all, nor do any references to it.

• Advertisement

I DO have a bee in my bonnet about anyone offering a negative opinion of Limerick. I have no time for negative people nor negative opinions generally speaking anyway. I wouldn't beat them over the head with it though, I'm all for respectful discussion me!

I'm glad you admitted this. I'm not sure though how your no time for negative people nor negative opinions fits with being all for respectful discussion, particularly when said discussion involves people propogating negative stereotypes and the ensuing negative reaction of the public. Oh and twitter is a very useful tool for gauging public opinion, there is a reason why the media including our national broadcaster use it on a variety of tv and radio current affairs shows for feedback. Don't be so quick to dismiss it, especially when you so freely admit to not understanding how it works.

I think it is highly relevant as it reinforces a negative stereotype of Limerick that only serves to damage the reputation of the city. A reputation that does us no favours when it comes to attracting tourists and jobs to the region, both of which are essential to the economic recovery. I reckon that is where Bock is coming from.

See my previous post with regard to where this programme rates in terms of decision makers when they consider Limerick City as a viable tourist location, and certainly no employer would base their decision on a light entertainment broadcast when they would choose to locate their business in Limerick. In fact if you even wanted to go there, I would imagine Bock's blog would be more influential than a light entertainment broadcast by RTE.
    Your first claim doesn't actually excuse you to then do just that. Your post count doesn't afford you any level of rank above other posters here or add any weight to your opinion.

I wasn't actually referring to my post-count as it's quite misleading, but suffice to say I have been a regular contributor to the Limerick forum for the last five years, far more regular than jutting in every so often to shill my own personal blog! I would not for one minute suggest though that my opinion taken at face value would be any more valid than anyone elses. What I AM suggesting is that I have given my opinion on a wide range of topics in the Limerick forum and never once did I have any sort of personal agenda, as you so often allude to, just because I happen to disagree with you on other topics.

Your opinion does not equate to everyone else having the same opinion. You seem to struggle with this concept. You are not averse to making lazy generalizations yourself you know. It is quite clear from the online feedback and the feedback on radio shows that this tv show once again put Limerick and Limerick people in a bad spotlight that played up to and reinforced a negative stereotype of the city, one that people on twitter and elsewhere were then quick to play upon for their own amusement.

Speaking of all things amusing, I actually am amused at the part in bold there in your post where you happen to be the pot calling the kettle black. Again though, and this is only my own personal opinion- I do not put much stock in the opinions broadcast on such a fickle medium as social media websites. I happen to live quite near to an hotel that is very popular with tourists and business people who have nothing but good things to say about our city (I know, call me nosy, but I tend to have a habit of earwigging on people's conversations anyway!).
    RTE may have broadcast some positive shows about Limerick but they have broadcast far more negative ones and damaging ones over the years. Complacency on behalf of the viewing public will only serve to let them continue in this manner.

I believe it was Dermot Morgan who first coined the term "stab city" when referring to Limerick back in the 80's. How many people can say that they remember that now? It caused huge controversy at the time, but NOW who remembers it? Not too many I would wager, and certainly not too many that now use social media sites. Right now one of the hotter topics for derision is a scuffle caught on camera on Talbot Street in Dublin! Not to worry though, I'm sure Limerick will feature again at some stage and we can all get up in arms again about how badly Limerick is portrayed, ad nauseum!
    Remember the viewing figures for an RTE show is far far more than any number of I Love Limerick PR videos on youtube or other such efforts to rebrand Limerick.

RTE is but a pimple on the árse of the World media, it's insignifigance barely registers in the public consciousness of the tourist and employment opportunities with regards to Limerick, so you shouldn't put too much stock in a five minute forgettable slot on a TV programme that made us all cringe for a few minutes before most of us got on with our lives!

I'm glad you admitted this. I'm not sure though how your no time for negative people nor negative opinions fits with being all for respectful discussion, particularly when said discussion involves people propogating negative stereotypes and the ensuing negative reaction of the public.

One can still have a discussion on a topic and be respectful to the other person even though they disagree with their point of view. My ears are always open and I'm always listening. I may not like a negative person's negative opinion, but I respect their right to hold that opinion. As long as a discussion remains civil, I'm willing to listen.
    Oh and twitter is a very useful tool for gauging public opinion, there is a reason why the media including our national broadcaster use it on a variety of tv and radio current affairs shows for feedback. Don't be so quick to dismiss it, especially when you so freely admit to not understanding how it works.

I understand not only how twitter works, but also the technology behind it, I just can't make head nor tails of it because as a site developer myself- it's bad design hurts my eyes so I tend not to spend too long on a site more commonly known for it's bastardization of the english language!

The reason the media use it as a tool for guaging public opinion is no great barometer of it's actual usefulness. The reason it's actually used by the media is because they don't have to pay anybody who might be able to give them an informed opinion on a given subject. They much rather let joe/jane public feel like they have a voice because a bigger audience means more revenue from advertisers.

Actually, no, twitter I'm not even going to get into because talking about it gives me a pain in my face! :(

Bock you made it about you when you published your personal twitter comments earlier. It would've made my work easier though had you just linked to them instead of having me go to your site, finding there was no link to your twitter profile, and then having to go on twitter and try and do a search for the relevant piece you posted.

But I agree, we should stay focussed- RTE did not broadcast a program with any particular bias. If they had broadcast the "Danny and Tammy show", then you might have a point, and even then you'd be stretching it as not that much of Limerick City was shown. What WAS shown, was a regular night out for ONE couple in Limerick City. I don't know if any tourist would base their decision to visit Limerick on the basis of one couple's night out in Limerick City.

In fact if you google "tourism limerick" (I did the hard work for you!), this programme doesn't show up at all, nor do any references to it.

Blah blah blah.

RTE chose two knobheads to represent Limerick.

The end.

Blah blah blah.

RTE chose two knobheads to represent Limerick.

The end.

Sterling contribution there Bock, but it was the production company that chose the show's participants, not RTE, and even then the participants were responsible for how they were portrayed, which in my opinion bore no reflection on Limerick City.

You should take it up with the participants who portrayed themselves in a bad light, not the production company, and certainly not RTE.

Anyway, I eagerly await your next sterling contribution to the Limerick forum (I don't really, I was just being polite!) whenever you choose to shill your site stop by again.

Who paid for and broadcast the programme?

Who paid for and broadcast the programme?

Back so soon?

Well RTE paid for and broadcast the programme, but what I am advocating is that you use your resourceful wealth of journalistic skills to go straight to the source- the show's participants!

RTE did not say to these people "here, behave this way so we can hold you up as a spectacle for ridicule and portray you as a representation of Limerick. Go on, it'll be gas, and there's a holiday to Benidorm in it for you if you do a good job!".

No, all RTE did was broadcast a light entertainment show in which NONE of the participants did THEMSELVES any favors! I wouldn't consider the couples from Galway or Dublin as representative of those cities either!

What I'm saying is- you REALLY need to get some perspective and lay the blame squarely on the door where it belongs- the participants of the show.

Who is responsible for this programme going out on the public airwaves?

Who is responsible for this programme going out on the public airwaves?

RTE.

Now I have a question-

Who is responsible for the way they were portrayed on this show? I'll even give you a hint- They were two adults!

• Advertisement

Very good. We're making progress. RTE were responsible for broadcasting the programme. Not the participants. Not the programme makers.

Who was responsible for the behaviour of the participants? Themselves, of course, but that doesn't mean anyone was obliged to broadcast their cavortings.

Did they have any authority to decide what was put out on the air? Not in the slightest, any more than the chimps have a say in a David Attenborough documentary.

Responsibility always rests with the broadcaster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement