Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concert memories ...

Options
  • 14-09-2012 11:21am
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this fits precisely into this forum, but it does reflect my memories of some "classic rock" concerts;) (and apologies for the length)

Posting that picture of Freddie in the Queen thread reminded me of the lengths I used to go to smuggle a camera into concerts.

I got my first decent camera in early 1982 – an Olympus OM10. I used to go regularly to see bands at Manchester Apollo (I was in my final year of university there), and decided to take the camera along to a Slade concert. I managed to get some decent pictures and continued taking it – I’ve got photos from the likes of Quo and Elton John there. Fortunately the Apollo was a relatively compact theatre, and to start off with I was happy with the results from the basic camera lens.

Punters were searched at the door though, and in those days there was a strict no cameras policy at pretty much every concert venue. I therefore had to be careful getting the camera in, normally hanging it round my back. Once in the bouncers were on the lookout but so long as you didn’t use flash and were not near the front you could usually get away with it. The Apollo was a seated venue and I did quite regularly see people being hauled to the side to have their cameras taken off them if they were not discrete enough

I then moved onto Leeds where the City Hall became “venue of choice” – it was all standing which meant once you got the camera in the bouncers would be unlikely to wade in. I got some great picture of Thin Lizzy and Elton John there

Outdoor arenas were more of an issue though – I needed a longer camera lens. Hence tactics changed and I took the inside out of a thermos flask to hide the lens. Worked a treat every time – the Stones in Roundhay Park, Leeds and Bowie in Milton Keynes Bowl – I was often taking a hundred or more photos at a time. Security checks were stringent, and there was always a risk the camera would be confiscated – a bit of a concern as I didn’t want to have to hang around at the end of the concert to try and work out what had happened

ZZ Top, Wembley Arena around 1986 was a big issue though. I got through security to take my place in the second row to find out I’d been moved to the back. A number of us were livid and demanded to see someone in authority – they took us back out to speak to someone, but to no avail. I had unpacked the camera gear when in the Arena though, and they demanded we were searched again – cue panic as I tried to hide all the gear while the others were being searched. Still, I managed to get through, but I was so far back and the lighting was poor so I didn’t bother with the camera

The biggest day with the camera was 13 July 1985 – Live Aid. I managed to get the camera in using the thermos flask technique, although the security checks were not particularly thorough anyway. I plonked myself 20-30m form the stage and stayed there – not even a toilet break between 10am and 10pm - I took over 500 photos that day – every act bar one – I could not bring myself to taking photos of Spandau Ballet!!

My only other “incident” was back at Manchester Apollo in the late 1980s – Alice Cooper, and I had tickets for 2 nights within a couple of rows of the stage. First night I got some great B&W photos, and on the 2nd I decided to take some colour film - halfway through the first film I was spotted though – I think there had been some complaints from the band about some eejit sticking a camera lens up their noses the previous night, and the bouncers were on the lookout. I was summonsed over – the guy took the camera. I said I would remove the film – but he did it for me, exposing it to the light to ruin it. I got my camera straight back but thought better of reloading it with one of the half dozen or so films in my pocket.

I “retired” from taking photos at concerts about 20 years ago – I’m taking the kids to Gaga tomorrow – there will be thousands taking photos with their smartphones – anyone and everyone is allowed cameras in nowadays. Still I get a certain pleasure looking back through the albums at a decade of great concert memories ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Beasty wrote: »
    Not sure if this fits precisely into this forum, but it does reflect my memories of some "classic rock" concerts;) (and apologies for the length)

Posting that picture of Freddie in the Queen thread reminded me of the lengths I used to go to smuggle a camera into concerts.

I got my first decent camera in early 1982 – an Olympus OM10. I used to go regularly to see bands at Manchester Apollo (I was in my final year of university there), and decided to take the camera along to a Slade concert. I managed to get some decent pictures and continued taking it – I’ve got photos from the likes of Quo and Elton John there. Fortunately the Apollo was a relatively compact theatre, and to start off with I was happy with the results from the basic camera lens.

Punters were searched at the door though, and in those days there was a strict no cameras policy at pretty much every concert venue. I therefore had to be careful getting the camera in, normally hanging it round my back. Once in the bouncers were on the lookout but so long as you didn’t use flash and were not near the front you could usually get away with it. The Apollo was a seated venue and I did quite regularly see people being hauled to the side to have their cameras taken off them if they were not discrete enough

I then moved onto Leeds where the City Hall became “venue of choice” – it was all standing which meant once you got the camera in the bouncers would be unlikely to wade in. I got some great picture of Thin Lizzy and Elton John there

Outdoor arenas were more of an issue though – I needed a longer camera lens. Hence tactics changed and I took the inside out of a thermos flask to hide the lens. Worked a treat every time – the Stones in Roundhay Park, Leeds and Bowie in Milton Keynes Bowl – I was often taking a hundred or more photos at a time. Security checks were stringent, and there was always a risk the camera would be confiscated – a bit of a concern as I didn’t want to have to hang around at the end of the concert to try and work out what had happened

ZZ Top, Wembley Arena around 1986 was a big issue though. I got through security to take my place in the second row to find out I’d been moved to the back. A number of us were livid and demanded to see someone in authority – they took us back out to speak to someone, but to no avail. I had unpacked the camera gear when in the Arena though, and they demanded we were searched again – cue panic as I tried to hide all the gear while the others were being searched. Still, I managed to get through, but I was so far back and the lighting was poor so I didn’t bother with the camera

The biggest day with the camera was 13 July 1985 – Live Aid. I managed to get the camera in using the thermos flask technique, although the security checks were not particularly thorough anyway. I plonked myself 20-30m form the stage and stayed there – not even a toilet break between 10am and 10pm - I took over 500 photos that day – every act bar one – I could not bring myself to taking photos of Spandau Ballet!!

My only other “incident” was back at Manchester Apollo in the late 1980s – Alice Cooper, and I had tickets for 2 nights within a couple of rows of the stage. First night I got some great B&W photos, and on the 2nd I decided to take some colour film - halfway through the first film I was spotted though – I think there had been some complaints from the band about some eejit sticking a camera lens up their noses the previous night, and the bouncers were on the lookout. I was summonsed over – the guy took the camera. I said I would remove the film – but he did it for me, exposing it to the light to ruin it. I got my camera straight back but thought better of reloading it with one of the half dozen or so films in my pocket.

I “retired” from taking photos at concerts about 20 years ago – I’m taking the kids to Gaga tomorrow – there will be thousands taking photos with their smartphones – anyone and everyone is allowed cameras in nowadays. Still I get a certain pleasure looking back through the albums at a decade of great concert memories ....
    Any chance of you posting some of those here? Share the memories!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I need to scan the photos, but I'll put a few up once I get chance

As tasters, some I think I've already posted elsewhere from Live Aid:

Oh Vienna...
    vienna.jpg?t=1279109084

david.jpg

bono.jpg?t=1279095728

macca1.jpg?t=1279109049

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Outstanding Beasty!. Keep them coming!. Excuse my ignorance but who is the first photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Feelgood wrote: »
    Outstanding Beasty!. Keep them coming!. Excuse my ignorance but who is the first photo?
    Midge Ure. Half the band aid writing team. The half that owned a comb.

Great shots Beasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jake the dog

The picture of Bowie in his full 80's pomp is brilliant, cheers for sharing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Let's see your Think Lizzy pics.
    I was a huge fan as a teenager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

First gig was The Stones, got VIP tickets and got to pick them up at the bands hotel. Got free reign to wander the floor they were staying on. Until Keith's body guard fcuked us out...

Still, at the gig was front row and high-fived Keith and Mick.

Got front row at The Doors with Ian Astbury in Wembley Arena. I think it was their first gig together minus Morrison in 30 years. ****ing epic it was.

Saw Peter Green playing all the early Fleetwood Mac stuff in U.L. concert hall. Un****inreal.

Met him afterwards and got him to sign a concert booklet thingy. Was told in advance not to try and shake his hand (something to do with him being a bit fcuked in the head from all the LSD he did years ago). He was weird but nice.

Oh and Tom Petty in Cork was brilliant.

I'm 29. I was born in the wrong bloody era.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Let's see your Think Lizzy pics.
    I was a huge fan as a teenager!
    Here you go - Thunder & Lightning Tour, Leeds City Hall 10 February 1983

Untitled.jpg?t=1347807695

Untitled-20.jpg?t=1347807511

img004.jpg
    "I'm a (Classic;)) Rocker"

Serious Moonlight Tour - Milton Keynes Bowl, 1 July 1983.

I remember hitching down from Leeds the previous day, having no-where to sleep, so bedding down in a field. I was pretty knackered by the time of the concert, but this was Bowie at his best:

Untitled-1.jpg?t=1347808398

That evening I simply went to Milton Keynes railway station and got the first train back the following morning

The Stones in the (Roundhay) Park - Leeds, 25 July 1982

The day before Jagger's 39th birthday, so we got to sing Happy Birthday to him before you guys at Slane the following day

Supported by the J Geils Band, Joe Jackson and George Thorogood & the Destroyers - Jackson said he'd never seen such a big croud, so took time out to take a photo of us

Untitled-3.jpg?t=1347809714

Keef looked almost human in those days ...

Untitled-2.jpg?t=1347809422

• Advertisement

Knebworth, 9 August 1986 - the last time Freddie played with Queen...

img008.jpg

I drove down from Manchester, left my car in a muddy field of a car park. Got back to find I'd left my lights on - panicked but managed to get it going, then spent 2 hours trying to get out of the car park...

A man named Alice...

... the Nightmare Returns to Manchester Apollo, 28 November 1986

img009.jpg

(think he was eyeing up my camera in this one ;))

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Some classic pics there Beasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Some great pics there, Beasty - thanks for sharing.

I've since regretted my reluctance to take a camera to gigs -
    I started attending gigs while still in high school - bands like Genesis (Gabriel with the fox head) ELP with Emersons madness - you name a 70's rock/prog group & I've probably seen them live, and not a single pic to show for it.
    In school days I couldn't afford a camera, in later years it just seemed a dsitraction from why I was really there - and something I'd have to look after in varying stages of booze/substance induced carelessness.

I still have the memories of course, there's plenty of online pics & a surprising amount of video, but I do admit I wish now I had a pic- that I took- of Jimmy Page with his laser-tip violin bow at Knebworth, Floyd at Knebworth where I'm damn sure a lot of pink smoke morphed into a butterfly shape as it rose above the stage, etc etc etc

Anyway, thanks again for sharing some great pics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

One of the best weeks of my life. June 2006.
    24th Bob Dylan Nowlan Park Kilkenny
    25th Killarney for the Harley Bike show
    27th Kinsale Worlds End drunken shenanigans
    28th Art Garfunkel Marquee in Cork
    29th Roger Waters Dark Side of the Moon

All during the World Cup and my 20th birthday.

Roger Water performing Dark Side in the Marquee in Cork. 1st half Dark Side then 2nd half Greatest Hits.

About 30mins into the gig was a power failure. Complete sound gone. Everyone staring around doe-eyed and fearful. Then Roger came back out and stated they would need to do a full sound check again but would use that time as the interval and go straight form the Dark Side set to the Greatest hits.

One of the most enjoyable and unbelievable gigs I've ever been at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

8100068618_1f4f6c024f_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I kissed Chrissie Hynde in Kilkenny in 2003, haven't washed my face since.

Do The Pretenders count as classic rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

Knebworth, 9 August 1986 - the last time Freddie played with Queen...

img008.jpg

I drove down from Manchester, left my car in a muddy field of a car park. Got back to find I'd left my lights on - panicked but managed to get it going, then spent 2 hours trying to get out of the car park...

Brilliant shot Beasty...A historic day no doubt.

Another couple of Freddie's "mike" moments:

freddie3.jpg

freddie4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

Another couple of Freddie's "mike" moments:

freddie3.jpg

freddie4.jpg

great shots..did you get any of the whole band at the end of their performance, i haven't seen many shots of John Deacon or Roger Taylor onstage that day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

That's amazing beasty. Those photos are fantastic.

Maybe not so much Classic Rock, but certainly Classic Elton, Leeds Queens Hall 18 and 19 June 1984. I went both evenings, taking the camera in on one of them.

img033.jpg?t=1352328668

img032.jpg

At one stage he threw the jacket he was wearing into the crowd, and the fans ripped it to shreds. Somewhere in the house I still have a small piece of yellow fabric - about 5cm by 2cm, my souvenir of the evening...

Wonder how quickly posters will recognise this guy - picture taken at Wembley Stadium in 1988

img031.jpg

And someone else from the same concert, hopefully a little easier to recognise

img030.jpg

Then there was the guy in short pants, Manchester Apollo 13 January 1986:

img028.jpg

img027.jpg

Glass Spider Tour, Maine Road Manchester, 14/15 July 1987

img029.jpg

And a few more from Live Aid:

img035.jpg

img034.jpg

By the time it was drawing to a close, I was onto my last film, making my way towards the exit, which gave me a chance to get a bit more of a panoramic view of the Finale:

img036.jpg?t=1352329914

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

that second picture of thin lizzy is fantastic you should print off and frame them you would sell thousands of them

Advertisement