Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy Railways??

• 14-09-2012 11:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭

Check this out....Does anyone think this will ever happen....

http://www.bcdr.co.uk/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

what would be the point? It wouldn't be preserving Irish railway heritage in any way.

Sounds like someone wants to play trains

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Chrisplayfair

I remember some time ago I attended a meeting he had in Ballynahinch regarding this...I remember him removing several gentlemen for basically saying this will never happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cyberbeagle

corktina wrote: »
    what would be the point? It wouldn't be preserving Irish railway heritage in any way.

This person has been wanting to play trains for nearly twice my age. And in that time all the remaining heritage on that section of the line has gone. The landowners just roll their eyes now any time there's a new press release issued by him saying things are "imminent". It was to be *all* open in time for the 150th anniversary of the opening of the BCDR line to Ballynahinch, then this February, and no doubt again further on.

There's also no consistency, for instance they have been toying with the idea of 4ft 8.5in for years (remember Eurotrack Ireland was going to BUY NIR and reguage it to GB gauge? Same man) but yet had a public appeal for donations to buy an IE 141 class that he was going to call "David Healy". How was this 5ft 3in engine going to run on 4ft 8.5in track??

I have higher hopes for the New Ross line!!

didnt someone import some UK locos a few years ago? same guy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Nope. As far as I know nothing was ever imported. Paper never refused ink in relation to this individual and his madcap schemes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Ireland has been "play(ing) trains" ever since the creation of the GSR 87 years ago. They sure never ran them like a serious business, did they?

What was the purpose of titling the thread "fantasy railways" anyway...? Tempts me to throw in a few pipe dreams of my own. How about resurrecting both the Cork & Muskerry and Cork, Blackrock & Passage West as a unified electric narrow-gauge high-platform light rail system running underground in Cork city...? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

I think the only UK 4ft 8.5 line is that short one at Riverstown, Co.Louth, which has a stored UK industrial steam loco and a railbus like NIR RB3, but it has been out of use for several years now, photos anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Eiretrains wrote: »
    I think the only UK 4ft 8.5 line is that short one at Riverstown, Co.Louth, which has a stored UK industrial steam loco and a railbus like NIR RB3, but it has been out of use for several years now, photos anyone?

No photos to hand (buried somewhere no doubt!!) ,but Im probably one of the few who can say they travelled the line. The plan was to have the railway as a car park shuttle. He had the 0-6-0 saddle tank (which was a little bit like RPSI's Harvey in appearance) a flat wagon and a BR 20T brake van. It might not have run for many years but at least he got something to happen, unlike many and certainly unlike the BCDR trust. Apart from some original BCDR memorabilia/artefacts he has the rotten body of a BCDR 6 wheel coach in his garden, nothing more!

CIE wrote: »
    Ireland has been "play(ing) trains" ever since the creation of the GSR 87 years ago. They sure never ran them like a serious business, did they?

What was the purpose of titling the thread "fantasy railways" anyway...? Tempts me to throw in a few pipe dreams of my own. How about resurrecting both the Cork & Muskerry and Cork, Blackrock & Passage West as a unified electric narrow-gauge high-platform light rail system running underground in Cork city...? :)

now THATA a fantasy...given Corks flooding problems and the fact that much of it is on an island.

Had you said an extention from Kent along the Quays to Patricks Bridge LUAS style, I'd ahve been with you all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 comradestalin

Eccentric lunatics, it is hilarious that they were ever taken seriously.

Look up the address given on the website using Google maps, and you'll find this rather non-descript semi-detached house in the middle of nowhere :

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=9+kilbright+road+carrowdore&hl=en&ll=54.580214,-5.523795&spn=0.003047,0.008733&sll=54.667775,-6.802165&sspn=1.556685,4.471436&t=h&hnear=9+Kilbright+Rd,+Carrowdore,+Newtownards+BT22+2HQ,+United+Kingdom&z=17&layer=c&cbll=54.580151,-5.523736&panoid=5PlvYBmxMnEdilA7VLl8JQ&cbp=12,61.63,,0,6.27

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cyberbeagle

No, though he has regularly put out appeals for donations towards purchasing them, such as some Polish ones (in a rather, IMHO, opportunistic and poor taste appeal towards Armed Services veterans...). There is a risk to these two locos, but salvation will not come from the BCDRMT.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/steam-engine-fans-in-bid-to-honour-troops-1-3302524

Eccentric lunatics, it is hilarious that they were ever taken seriously.

Look up the address given on the website using Google maps, and you'll find this rather non-descript semi-detached house in the middle of nowhere :

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=9+kilbright+road+carrowdore&hl=en&ll=54.580214,-5.523795&spn=0.003047,0.008733&sll=54.667775,-6.802165&sspn=1.556685,4.471436&t=h&hnear=9+Kilbright+Rd,+Carrowdore,+Newtownards+BT22+2HQ,+United+Kingdom&z=17&layer=c&cbll=54.580151,-5.523736&panoid=5PlvYBmxMnEdilA7VLl8JQ&cbp=12,61.63,,0,6.27

Usually only taken seriously by local councillors in other districts who don't know him. He is "well known" by the DRDNI. But you can find council minutes online from Armagh, Strabane, etc., where his various incarnations of "organisations" are going to rebuild their railway lines for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 comradestalin

Usually only taken seriously by local councillors in other districts who don't know him. He is "well known" by the DRDNI. But you can find council minutes online from Armagh, Strabane, etc., where his various incarnations of "organisations" are going to rebuild their railway lines for them...

I assume he is the guy named in the article - Bob Pue.

I googled him and found him named as Chief Executive of the Belfast Express Transit Network. He shows up in a bunch of other places too.

Reading the BCDR website I have to say I am quite disturbed. He's talking about raising £100K to rebuild an entire railway. I'd like to know what this money is for as we know that rebuilding a railway is substantially more expensive than this. I'd be very concerned if people were contributing real money to this fund.

Reading the BCDR website I have to say I am quite disturbed. He's talking about raising £100K to rebuild an entire railway. I'd like to know what this money is for as we know that rebuilding a railway is substantially more expensive than this. I'd be very concerned if people were contributing real money to this fund.

It was probably £100k when he started out, 40 odd years ago. And yes it is RP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

CIE wrote: »

:)
    In the freight department they don't even know how to play trains, its a struggle to get some to see the light, eh I was going to say ''at the end of the tunnel'' with the price of diesel going through the roof its never been a better time and they can't see it, there is nobody more blind than those who do not wish to see.

Been said before but " what freight?" and "trains run on diesel too"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Iolaire

I assume he is the guy named in the article - Bob Pue.

I believe it is. I wouldn't give him ten pence but I won't elaborate here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

The OP has gone very quiet on this. Hop the ball and see what argument he can cause. Again,as usual etc as seen elsewhere today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cbl593h wrote: »
    The OP has gone very quiet on this. Hop the ball and see what argument he can cause. Again,as usual etc as seen elsewhere today :rolleyes:

Keep it constructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Been said before but " what freight?" and "trains run on diesel too"

I tried to find the clip from The First Great Train Robbery where one man leans to another and says "He's off again" but it's not on youtube :(

Sorry for picking on your post, I mean it in terms of the whole freight conversation.

• Advertisement

http://www.countydownrailwaymuseum.org.uk/Rolling%20Stock.htm

I look every so often to see the latest idea!

Says he bought a locomotive and stuff.
    Where he intends to put it or what he intends to do with it remains to be seen.

With his 4' 8.5" fetish I don't know why he doesn't try to obtain the stock and track from Riverstown Mill. It would be an instant railway. He could even just rename it B&CDR and leave it where it is and that would save a fortune on transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

God loves a tryer but I wouldn't be in a hurry to join-up.

God loves a tryer but I wouldn't be in a hurry to join-up.

Could he even be considered a tryer anymore though? I live not too far from where he 'intends' to start the line and there is not even a billboard or information point, not to mention any clearance in the forest....

Advertisement