Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

coastal skipper ticket

• 14-09-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Hello

I'm currently living in the UK and on my to getting my way to getting the RYA Coastal skipper ticket (power) with a view to getting it commercially endorsed.
    This would allow me to skipper vessels under 24m for commercial purposes, passenger boats, workboats etc. within a specified distance of a safe haven.

I am just wondering if I was to return to Ireland would my ticket still be valid?
    I'm not sure who is in charge of licencing masters of smaller vessels in Ireland and if there is a way I could convert it to the Irish equivalent if I come back.
    Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Mercantile marine office is your first stop I'd say. Have you much seatime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

The ISA administer all tickets up to Yachtmaster on behalf of the MMO. (Link) (Link2)

I am not sure of the equivalancy rules if any between the RYA and the ISA - but I dont think they accept RYA Tickets (Link) but I suppose it best to contact them to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Windtts

Not sure what work you are looking for but if you are looking for work on the wind farms you need to go for the offshore yacht master this is the min you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

RYA operate the scheme in the UK + this is a much more recognised * brand * worldwide. I did my costal + offshore yachtmasters in ireland- sail not power- under The scheme + frsnkly my offshore skipper ( down a big notch)from the RYA has been the one that has been accepted for charters abroad. The response was * we know who the RYA is*. Despite my other ISA qualifications bei.g technically much higher.

You're UK based.why not do it there? Or has whomever said they want an ISA cert?

IME if you want to charter outside of ireland RYA is accepted more as qualification criteria.

As regards commercial activity to my knowledge thats a different thing but i doubt that many who own powerboats have as mhch as that - you dont need any training or certs here (ire) to own or use a powerboat. Mores the pity.

+ no - you cant * translate it over*. But Roysl Yachti.g Association is known + recognised worldwide + started the scheme which the ISA use as the course template here so I wouldnt be too concerned.

But at least you'll have a good solid qualigication behind you and mores the point, all the knowledge. Fair dues.

Experience on tbe water is the key.

Advertisement