Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident on Bodkin roundabout (Headford Road Shopping Centre)

Options
  • 14-09-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend was in an accident there this morning and the driver (she thinks he was male) didn't stop. Therefore I'm appealing for witnesses if anyone saw it.

It was around 8:40am. She was driving from the terryland roundabout (menlo park). She was in the middle lane and her intention was to go across the Quincentennial bridge. The other car was in the right hand lane (must have come from terryland roundabout too). She had her right indicator on from the middle lane (two lanes can turn right) and the other driver on the far right drove across her as his intention seemingly was to go straight on towards the Omniplex cinema. He was in the wrong lane.
    He hit the right front side of the car. From the door up to the headlights. Then sped off across the bridge before my girlfriend could get the registration.

Two students walking stopped to see if she was ok. They were wearing suits. However she never got their details so if they read this I would appreciate a PM from them. They described the car as a red and blue Fiat Seicento (I can confirm both colours as paint was left on her car). My girlfriend thought it was a Mini but she wasn't sure but the two lads were adamant it was a Fiat Seicento. Her car is a 2011 charcoal grey ford focus.

The gardai took details and a statement. However they mentioned there is no cameras on that roundabout or even over the bridge. Does anyone know if there is cameras in Terryland or on the other side of the bridge by the college or westside as might have gone that route?

The main positive out of this is it won't affect her no claims bonus as the insurance company will take care of the claim. Apparently it's a pot for hit and run accidents and also with drivers in accidents with no insurance (This is why we all have to pay higher insurance :mad: )

The gardai said there would be details of it in their weekly slot on Galway Bay FM next Tue.

Keep an eye out for a Fiat Seicento with damage to the front left passenger side. It might show grey paint from her car.

The driver might never be caught but would be good if he was as he left the scene of an accident. It probably will be low enough priority for the gardai since my girlfriend wasn't hurt apart from the initial shock.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The cinquecento is the boxy 1990s Fiat...sure it wasnt a seicento. What colour is it?? Here is a seicento ( post 2000 car)

File:Fiat_Seicento_rear_20080224.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

not many of them **** heaps in galway, should be able to find it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

The gardai took details and a statement. However they mentioned there is no cameras on that roundabout or even over the bridge.
    Good to know, thanks

Srs though, if he went over the bridge then all the traffic lights down the other end are new so there might be cameras on them, or around the Topaz forecourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

It might be the Fiat Cinquecento actually as it was box like. It was black on the top and red on the bottom. So that is three colours as I seen red and blue paint on the focus. I'll get a better description later and update the original post.

You would think it wouldn't be hard to find

FYI production of the Cinquecento ended in 1998, when it was replaced by the Seicento

Does anyone know if there is cameras on the junction lights at the end of the bridge (college side) as I rememeber that it was upgraded within the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

It might be the Fiat Cinquecento actually as it was box like. It was black on the top and red on the bottom. So that is three colours as I seen red and blue paint on the focus. I'll get a better description later and update the original post.

You would think it wouldn't be hard to find

FYI production of the Cinquecento ended in 1998, when it was replaced by the Seicento

Does anyone know if there is cameras on the junction lights at the end of the bridge (college side) as I rememeber that it was upgraded within the last year?
    There definitely is a traffic camera at those lights. It's situated at the North West corner of the junction. Just note though that the camera can swivel (if it was pointing out the Newcastle Rd at the time it would not have seen the car which crashed and drove off). Still a very high chance that the camera did see him so it's definitely worth pursuing.

• Advertisement

We'll check with the gardai about cameras on the Newcastle Road side

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

We'll check with the gardai about cameras on the Newcastle Road side
    You would think the Guards would have thought of this at the time, but as you said, low priority. Easier to fill your quotas with parking offences and mouthy students :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Wouldn't be the first such incident: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70661233

With regard to CCTV, does the new Traffic Control centre have cameras up and running, and if so do they record? That Fiat had to pass through some other junction to get there, possibly one of the new signalised junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Talk to security in the shopping centre; one of their cameras may overlap the roundabout.

Same goes for the retail park; the manager in Currys should be able to give you a number for the person to talk to.

Hope you find the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Two students walking stopped to see if she was ok. They were wearing suits.

Does not compute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    With regard to CCTV, does the new Traffic Control centre have cameras up and running
    They are up and running.
    and if so do they record?
    Not sure but if I had to guess, I would say yes.

Side note: I believe the Traffic Control Centre has a Garda representitive present almost always..
    That Fiat had to pass through some other junction to get there, possibly one of the new signalised junctions.
    Indeed. He might have passed through the Tuam Rd junction which has a camera. Then he went over the bridge and would definitely have passed through the Newcastle Road junction. It does depend on which direction the cameras were facing though (as they can swivel).

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

The exact same thing happened to me last week. I was in middle lane going for the bridge and a car on my right swerved across my path going towards the cinema. I was lucky I saw what this moron carrying an entire family in his car did and was able to stop with a few mm to spare, I was also lucky that I did not get rear ended by following traffic.
    The road markings are badly faded at the shopping centre and omniplex junctures and have been like that for a long time. New paint would not stop simpletons like the asshole that hit your girl or the one that I dodged, but it would not hurt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

Nearly happened to me yesterday at the menlo roundabout. I was pulling off the roundabout when a car came onto it stopped with millimeters to spare and then they blew the horn at me as if it was my fault? I would have loved to have gotten out to give them a piece of my mind but then seen it was a car full of travelers so probably wouldnt have been the best idea! I just wish people would learn how to use roundabouts before going onto them and endangering the lives of others!!

Checked with the security at Galway Shopping Centre and also the Galway Retail Park today and none of their cameras go further that their wall perimeter. So no luck there

Also checked with the Topaz on the Newcastle Road but their cameras are only pointing in onto their forecourt.

Noticed the swivel camera allright at the lights on the Newcastle road and will get onto the traffic control centre to see if they can shed any light for this junction or maybe the Tuam Road junction.

The car could have come from a few other areas i.e. 3 others routes that lead into the menlo park roundabout.

Will see what the traffic control centre say and then try the gardai again that were at the accident. No word from them anyhow at this moment in time

Note: I couldn't edit my above posts so here is a description of car
    It was a Fiat Seicento. Box like. It was blue with a red passenger door. Unsual to have two colours so should stand out

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

Checked with the security at Galway Shopping Centre and also the Galway Retail Park today and none of their cameras go further that their wall perimeter. So no luck there

Also checked with the Topaz on the Newcastle Road but their cameras are only pointing in onto their forecourt.

Noticed the swivel camera allright at the lights on the Newcastle road and will get onto the traffic control centre to see if they can shed any light for this junction or maybe the Tuam Road junction.

The car could have come from a few other areas i.e. 3 others routes that lead into the menlo park roundabout.

Will see what the traffic control centre say and then try the gardai again that were at the accident. No word from them anyhow at this moment in time

Why don't you go to the roundabout at the same time tomorrow or during the week? Chances are the person is on their way to work! Worth a shot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Ruffty^ wrote: »
    The exact same thing happened to me last week. I was in middle lane going for the bridge and a car on my right swerved across my path going towards the cinema. I was lucky I saw what this moron carrying an entire family in his car did and was able to stop with a few mm to spare, I was also lucky that I did not get rear ended by following traffic.
    The road markings are badly faded at the shopping centre and omniplex junctures and have been like that for a long time. New paint would not stop simpletons like the asshole that hit your girl or the one that I dodged, but it would not hurt either.
    Exact same thing happened to me too, elderly couple driving the other car cut across me and I slammed on the brakes and had to swerve left to avoid them, they didn't even know that they had done anything wrong. I hate that roundabout,the lanes on it were always a very thought out idea. With regard to footage, would Dunnes have any cameras overlooking that stretch of road coming onto the roundabout or maybe the petrol station further down?

I always accelerate/decelerate to keep the 'other car' that might cut across me in parallel through those turds of roundabouts.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

That's so crap gaillimhabu.

Similar thing happend me two years back although I wasn't hit. A garda car had stopped someone on the bridge and the idiot must have been without tax/insurance or something because he had a sudden change of mind about his direction and cut in front of me and up on the traffic island, narrowly missing the signage.

I had to slam on the brakes and had the baby in the back (who was quite tiny) and his carseat lifted off the seat. [They're designed like that so the impact is distributed, I didn't know this at the time] Scared the living crap out of me. Pulled up next to the guards on the bridge but I was in too much shock to tell them what happened. Checked the youngfella, terrified that he was hurt, and the little bugger slept through the whole thing.

I hope you find the arse who hit your girlfriend. I'll keep an eye out for it anyway.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to try the roundabout the next few mornings and see if the car passes by. I'll also ask at Dunnes and the service station beside pillo hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

MV5BMTIwOTUzMDAwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDc0NDAyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

It's worth a shot. Like Eric Cartman said; “You go through life being told there's justice, then you learn that the only real justice is the justice you take.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

OP Why don't you post a photo of a similar type car here. Google images never fails. I can't picture that car model in my head. A pic would help.

Off topic:

Why do people refer to the Galway Shopping Centre as the Headford Road Shopping Centre? It could cause confusion. GSC is such a dated name but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Off topic:

Why do people refer to the Galway Shopping Centre as the Headford Road Shopping Centre? It could cause confusion. GSC is such a dated name but it is what it is.

Because us blow-ins might think you're talking about the Eyre Square Centre. Personally I always call it the Terryland shooping centre.

OP, my car was hit while I was buying milk and the driver ran. I got the license plate and the guards tracked her down. While she begrudgingly settled with me there seemed to be no penalty for her doing a hit and run. I hope the guards at least gave her a scolding. tut tut!

Here are some photos to what it looks like

It was a Fiat Seicento. Box like. It was blue with a red passenger door. Unsual to have two colours so should stand out

Similiar one on adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mick0

Sorry to hear about your girlfriends accident, hopefully you'll get the guy. I use this roundabout regularly and as a biker, car driver and cyclist I'd never use the middle lane to go right (from experience), way too dodgy. It's a badly laid out roundabout, which I'm sure will be taken out and a new junction designed, with just four entry exit points. That shopping centre entry exit needs to be relocated for sure.

Has anyone ever tried (as a pedestrian) crossing the road leading to the bridge? It's a death trap! The road planners in Galway have serious questions to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

newkie wrote: »
    Because us blow-ins might think you're talking about the Eyre Square Centre. Personally I always call it the Terryland shooping centre.

That could cause even more confusion: "Terryland Retail Park" is the area one block to the north, beside the Pillo Hotel.

Galway Shopping Centre is on the Headford Rd, with Tesco on it.

Galway Retail Park is on the other side fo the Headford Rd, with the Omniplex / Woodies / Aldi in it.

I think I have the car after a stakeout this morning.

Spotted a blue Fiat Seicento with a red passenger door (red and blue paint was left on our ford focus) at 8:55am going right around the roundabout and went across the bridge. Male driver.

I didn't spot any major damage to his car at first glance so hopefully it's him. It probably wouldn't be obvious anyhow as he just scraped along the side of our car without any major dents

Took the reg and these are the details from motorcheck.ie:
    1998 Fiat Seicento 1.0 SX, Body Type 3 Door Hatchback, Colour Blue

Tried to follow him across the bridge but lost him.
    I'll see what the gardai say this evening on what to do from here.

Might try and follow him tomorrow and see if I can inspect the car when he has left it parked.

1998 would be a Cinquecento not a Seicento :D:D .....and well done there OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Excellent. Let us know how you get on. This shít is better than TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Took the reg and these are the details from motorcheck.ie:
    1998 Fiat Seicento 1.0 SX, Body Type 3 Door Hatchback, Colour Blue

Tried to follow him across the bridge but lost him.
    I'll see what the gardai say this evening on what to do from here.

You also might ask the Gardai to put a car at the other end of the bridge.

Please also advise your girlfriend that the best policy is always to drive in the right lane when turning right in a roundabout regardless of road signs.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    1998 would be a Cinquecento not a Seicento :D:D .....and well done there OP!

The Seicento came out late 1997. Here is one from adverts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement