Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident on Bodkin roundabout (Headford Road Shopping Centre)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

My girlfriend was in an accident there this morning and the driver (she thinks he was male) didn't stop. Therefore I'm appealing for witnesses if anyone saw it.

It was around 8:40am. She was driving from the terryland roundabout (menlo park). She was in the middle lane and her intention was to go across the Quincentennial bridge. The other car was in the right hand lane (must have come from terryland roundabout too). She had her right indicator on from the middle lane (two lanes can turn right) and the other driver on the far right drove across her as his intention seemingly was to go straight on towards the Omniplex cinema. He was in the wrong lane.
    He hit the right front side of the car. From the door up to the headlights. Then sped off across the bridge before my girlfriend could get the registration.

Two students walking stopped to see if she was ok. They were wearing suits. However she never got their details so if they read this I would appreciate a PM from them. They described the car as a red and blue Fiat Seicento (I can confirm both colours as paint was left on her car). My girlfriend thought it was a Mini but she wasn't sure but the two lads were adamant it was a Fiat Seicento. Her car is a 2011 charcoal grey ford focus.

The gardai took details and a statement. However they mentioned there is no cameras on that roundabout or even over the bridge. Does anyone know if there is cameras in Terryland or on the other side of the bridge by the college or westside as might have gone that route?

The main positive out of this is it won't affect her no claims bonus as the insurance company will take care of the claim. Apparently it's a pot for hit and run accidents and also with drivers in accidents with no insurance (This is why we all have to pay higher insurance :mad: )

The gardai said there would be details of it in their weekly slot on Galway Bay FM next Tue.

Keep an eye out for a Fiat Seicento with damage to the front left passenger side. It might show grey paint from her car.

The driver might never be caught but would be good if he was as he left the scene of an accident. It probably will be low enough priority for the gardai since my girlfriend wasn't hurt apart from the initial shock.

Thanks for reading

OP would it worth making a list of garages in Galway and asking around if the car was left in? then again they could go to the county to have it repaired.
    the guards must be able to check camera somewhere along the route.
    galway Bay FM and the advertiser will put the word out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Fuinseog wrote: »
    OP would it worth making a list of garages in Galway and asking around if the car was left in? then again they could go to the county to have it repaired.
    the guards must be able to check camera somewhere along the route.
    galway Bay FM and the advertiser will put the word out.

I wouldn't bother putting the word out. The OP has established the route and time is a regular commute for the car and he can easily follow it on another day. If word goes out the car will either be repaired or disposed of. Anyone who drives a worthless peace of crap like that and does runners from accidents is probably not too concerned with damaged paintwork so i don't expect the car to be repaired at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

I wouldn't hold much faith in CCTV either the garda or city council ones.

Look at this one in salthill which is out of action since July;

0F79F0A47DE04E53AA251286D2CCDC14-0000346192-0003016706-00500L-D3E255035833448B88E87A89D8F92FB4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Having tracked someone after being knocked down my advice would be when you go to the cops report it as a hit and run, give them the reg and ask them to get the drivers insurance company details.

They'll give him a friendly call and hopefully you never need to deal with him.
    If he does a hit and run he's probably not a person you want to approach directly.

Have some photos of the damage to the car, get in touch with his insurance company and give them the details.

Between the cops and the insurance company getting in touch with him, it should light a fire under him.

From then on hopefully you just deal with insurance company, unless he denies driving the car, but you've 2 witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

buzz11 wrote: »

0F79F0A47DE04E53AA251286D2CCDC14-0000346192-0003016706-00500L-D3E255035833448B88E87A89D8F92FB4.jpg

maybe they just like looking at the flag

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

http://photos3.pix.ie/0F/79/0F79F0A47DE04E53AA251286D2CCDC14-0000346192-0003016706-00500L-D3E255035833448B88E87A89D8F92FB4.jpg

A lot longer than that, I would say. If this is the same one, it has been mysteriously pointed at the top floor of Western House for the last couple of years. I'd love to know where the monitoring centre is.

I think I have the car after a stakeout this morning.

Good work. And good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    it has been mysteriously pointed at the top floor of Western House for the last couple of years.

The part pointing upwards towards western house is the microwave transmitter which is permanently aimed towards a receiver on the mast at the garda station behind western house. Its a wireless system which avoids having to dig the road to lay cables, but is only effective over short distances.

The camera is the part aiming towards the ground.

The camera contract was awarded to SKS, details here;
    http://www.sks.ie/projects_city_centre.php

In true double standards, the Gardai advise in their publication "Garda Guidelines on CCTV in Ireland"

"Audit your system regularly and review the operational requirement. Do not let the criminal be the first to highlight any shortcomings"

Ehhh...anyone looking at the monitor anymore??

another comical paddy-whackery policing link;
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/garda-cctv-fails-to-film-street-thugs-127748.html

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

The Seicento came out late 1997. Here is one from adverts

+1. I did the route this morning at ~8am. Happened to end up behind a 98 LK Yellow example of the seicento. Hopefully it works out for you, as others have said you should be careful though... cornered rat springs to mind.

The part pointing upwards towards western house is the microwave transmitter which is permanently aimed towards a receiver on the mast at the garda station behind western house. Its a wireless system which avoids having to dig the road to lay cables, but is only effective over short distances.

The camera is the part aiming towards the ground.

Makes sense when you think about it! ;)

Must have a closer look next time I'm there. I always thought there were two cameras, and wondered why one seemed to be pointing at the folks in that apartment with the big windows on the top of Western House. Either they were very interesting people, or else the camera was out of operation, was my tentative conclusion...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 jewelstar

Hope you track them down OP. Not exactly your average car, I actually think I've seen it around town before, can't be too many two toned yellow Seicentos around.
    That round about is a curse, every time you take to it you have to watch out for people shooting across as a result of being in the wrong lane. Veering lane to lane is another one when going around, not that hard to follow your lane. Just picking up on the experience this morning, there's always something.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

jewelstar wrote: »
    Hope you track them down OP. Not exactly your average car, I actually think I've seen it around town before, can't be too many two toned yellow Seicentos around.
    That round about is a curse, every time you take to it you have to watch out for people shooting across as a result of being in the wrong lane. Veering lane to lane is another one when going around, not that hard to follow your lane. Just picking up on the experience this morning, there's always something.

It wasn't yellow. Another poster was just confirming that a yellow 98 one in front of him was indeed a Fiat Seicento

The one involved in the accident was blue and red. That is why I'm hoping I have found the correct one as it's blue with a red passenger door

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

I'm sure I saw that little red & blue job this morning about 8.10 at Briarhill lights coming from town, turning right at lights and heading for Doughiska. I think there is a body shop near NCT, might be worth checking out. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

johnnyk66 wrote: »
    I'm sure I saw that little red & blue job this morning about 8.10 at Briarhill lights coming from town, turning right at lights and heading for Doughiska. I think there is a body shop near NCT, might be worth checking out. good luck

Indeed he could be reading boards and be one step ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 6 SPEED

So, I was driving home and I was coming upto the roundabout where the Menlo Park Hotel,Motorpark and the Filling Station is and saw a Navy Fiat with that had a 98-Dublin reg on it and a red passenger door. It seem to have several dents on the front panels from the short time I saw it, it headed up toward the new junction (JJ Flemings/Monaghans).

I took a quick glance at this thread earlier on in the week and said I'd post this, Hope this helps along with all the other people's posts and help.

By the way - I saw it at exactly 8.20pm !

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Thanks to all of you that have been on the lookout and the various PM's I got from people that spotted the car. One boardie even confirmed the reg that I had got early on in the week :D

Rang some crash repair shops yesterday with no luck. I now see why as this car is def not worth fixing.

We also got some inspiration this morning as it was a week to the day so decided to try find him once and for all.

Parked in Topaz at the end of the bridge in the hope that we'd spot the car to see if he went left or straight on at Newcastle Road. He came up to the lights at 8:50am to turn left (what luck!!!)

I scotted to my own car (girlfriend went to work in her damanged car and didn't follow in case he smelled a rat) and followed him for 20 minutes before he headed into a college (best not name it).

Waited around 5 minutes until he had left his parked car and took plenty of photos of the damage.

I can see now why he left the scene. First off he is a student so probably doesn't have much money. His NCT is out by a month and tax is out by 13 months. I couldn't get insurance details as that disk was placed behind the NCT disk but I wouldn't be surprised if that is out of date too.

Anyhow my girlfriend was in Milstreet on Tuesday and they reluctantly said to come back Saturday as the guard that came to the scene of the accident is on duty then. Let's hope we can talk to him as we plan to give him some printed photos of the damaged Fiat.

Is it legal to do what I did i.e. follow someone and take photos of their property?
    I know we had to do our own investigation as the guards definetely have no interest since it's such a low priority case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It begs the question.....why did you feel you had to do it when the guards would not. You are the victim not the perp after all.

Go to the super in charge of the Traffic corps in Liosbaun ( or his Inspector) and leave it with them personally.....NOT Mill Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jewelstar

That is superb stuff, think you may have missed your calling as a PI :D

The Gardai should have no problem dealing with it considering it is on a plate for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it legal to do what I did i.e. follow someone and take photos of their property?
    You cannot ask or follow any legal advice from boards, it's a general boards rule.
    Seek real legal help if you need it.

As you now have found what most likely is the car I think you should pursue the matter off-boards.
    In case this gets messy we can get drawn in because of this thread.

Hope it works out for you and best of luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement