Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sulli

ThAnks Millem, only problem I see with the britax two way is that there seems to be no head support? We do a long drive of about 4 hours every couple of months to Kerry and he sleeps a bit so I've read the head can flop? I saw max way but for some reason it didn't look as comfortable as the other seats!! Would like one that reclines as its a long spin...obviously we stop a long the way!!!

I like the besafe Izi plus but too big so wondering how smaller the combi is and is it good?

Also, when it says Rearward facing in Group 0+ car seat suitable from 0 - 13kg (approx 0 - 15 months) and Forward facing in Group 1 mode suitable from 9 - 18kg (approx. 9 months –4 years)......does that mean it can only be rear facing until 13kg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

sulli wrote: »
    ThAnks Millem, only problem I see with the britax two way is that there seems to be no head support? We do a long drive of about 4 hours every couple of months to Kerry and he sleeps a bit so I've read the head can flop? I saw max way but for some reason it didn't look as comfortable as the other seats!! Would like one that reclines as its a long spin...obviously we stop a long the way!!!

I like the besafe Izi plus but too big so wondering how smaller the combi is and is it good?

Also, when it says Rearward facing in Group 0+ car seat suitable from 0 - 13kg (approx 0 - 15 months) and Forward facing in Group 1 mode suitable from 9 - 18kg (approx. 9 months –4 years)......does that mean it can only be rear facing until 13kg?

There is a head support accessory that you buy extra for the two way elite. Yes I think it means you turn it forward at 13kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Moonbeam wrote: »

Just on this - when you go to purchase the price is actually £81.?? Sterling so about €104. On boots it's available for €99.99 and if you spend over €100 on prams/carseats/carriers there is an extra 10% off so as I was buying multiple I got them for €89.99 each. Great price!

http://www.boots.ie/en/Britax-First-Class-Plus-Car-Seat-Black-Thunder_1291862/?stop_mobi=yes

so after ringing the crowd in incarsafety cenre in Belfast, come to the conclusion that for us the Britax Max Way is the best option for us!!! Will pick it up the weekend now at Kealys! came down to the Max Way, Hi Way and 2 way elite and from listening to them the Hi Way wouldn't really last to the 25kgs more like 18 whereas the Max Way will. Then the 2 way elite wouldn't have the same side impact protection as the Max Way. There was a third choice the minikid but was informed that as the baby gets older it can be a tight fit getting in and out!!! Decision Made :D

so after ringing the crowd in incarsafety cenre in Belfast, come to the conclusion that for us the Britax Max Way is the best option for us!!! Will pick it up the weekend now at Kealys! came down to the Max Way, Hi Way and 2 way elite and from listening to them the Hi Way wouldn't really last to the 25kgs more like 18 whereas the Max Way will. Then the 2 way elite wouldn't have the same side impact protection as the Max Way. There was a third choice the minikid but was informed that as the baby gets older it can be a tight fit getting in and out!!! Decision Made :D

That is great :) I would of gotten the max way but it has a supporting leg. I looked into the side impact on the TWE and I wouldn't agree myself in fact I asked incarsafetycentre about it. The TWE is pretty much the same seat as my other one which is the max fix (which passed Swedish plus test). The TWE can't be tested nor can the 2way pearl or dualfix because they have the option of going forward.

It is such a relief getting the car seat sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Just on this - when you go to purchase the price is actually £81.?? Sterling so about €104. On boots it's available for €99.99 and if you spend over €100 on prams/carseats/carriers there is an extra 10% off so as I was buying multiple I got them for €89.99 each. Great price!

http://www.boots.ie/en/Britax-First-Class-Plus-Car-Seat-Black-Thunder_1291862/?stop_mobi=yes

I hear mention of a possible upcoming 75% off sale on in boots (theres a thread in bargain alerts at the mo.). Might be worth checking to see if car seats are in there. (Or NAPPPPPPPIEES)

Read the thread carefully though as boots ireland are a bit scatty..
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057355802/1/#post93704656

Millem wrote: »
    That is great :) I would of gotten the max way but it has a supporting leg. I looked into the side impact on the TWE and I wouldn't agree myself in fact I asked incarsafetycentre about it. The TWE is pretty much the same seat as my other one which is the max fix (which passed Swedish plus test). The TWE can't be tested nor can the 2way pearl or dualfix because they have the option of going forward.

It is such a relief getting the car seat sorted.

Why against the supporting leg? Ah i see around the TWE, but you have to have the seat up against it the whole time whereas the Max Way you need to have a gap when fitted...suited better the latter!!!!

Why against the supporting leg? Ah i see around the TWE, but you have to have the seat up against it the whole time whereas the Max Way you need to have a gap when fitted...suited better the latter!!!!

My minder has underfloor storage so you can't put a supporting leg on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Does.anyone know if you.can get new.straps for a car seat?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Does.anyone know if you.can get new.straps for a car seat?

For some of them you can .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Thanks Moonbeam. Any idea where? I have tried Dr Google but no luck. It's for a Maxi Cosi Axis. Thank u!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Can I have people's advice please? I have a one year old daughter and seven year old nephew that I regularly mind. I would like to buy a car seat for the seven year old while in my car. Ideally I would like to be able to take it out and in myself and eventually use it for my daughter. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Thank you I bought the second Britax car seat you posted a link for. Thanks for your help. Its safely installed!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Does anyone know where I can find the new guidelines for rear facing seats until two? I am currently in a battle with my mother over it. Thanks

John Mason wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find the new guidelines for rear facing seats until two? I am currently in a battle with my mother over it. Thanks

http://www.i-size.org.uk/index-temp.html
    http://www.parentdish.co.uk/baby/child-car-seat-confusion-guide-to-the-new-regulations-and-products/#!slide=aol_1003905

Was looking for the new Irish legislation

Was looking for the new Irish legislation

It is a European law

Is there anything on a Irish site? She isn't going to accept anything on a UK site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

RSA website hasn't been updated yet but you could try emailing them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is there anything on a Irish site? She isn't going to accept anything on a UK site

Print out the pages and do a copy and paste wherever it says UK, or the Maxi-Cosi site will show you the same information, but with an "ie" in the URL and a bloke with an accent and sat infront of an EU flag in a video as well: :D
    http://www.maxi-cosi.com/ie-en/safe-world/i-size.aspx

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Thing is isize is going to run along current guidelines for a while. Are you looking to go extended rear facing? Some safety videos might help?
    Is the issue that she thinks baby should be turned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I am finding choosing car seats so stressful :( It's just a nightmare. There are so many (presumably perfectly good) seats but I'm tying myself up in knots with the pros and cons of each. I think this is likely to top the time I ordered my travel system in M&P in Dundrum and then sat crying on the bench outside the shop in case I'd made the wrong decision!!

I shouldn't laugh at this but I got a good guffaw out of that! I know how you feel - currently looking for seats for 10 month old twins and it's a complete head wrecker!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Has iSize become legislation in Ireland? Shops don't seem to be selling iSize standard\branded seats?

Does iSize mention anything about expiry dates? Want to reuse a 5 year old baby seat but naturally worried, what if. These manufacturers really know how to pull on parents strings. I wouldn't be too quick to take the manufacturers word on this as obviously they want people to buy more seats.

Afaik car seats only have expiry dates in the US. I'll go dig out a link.
    I size isn't law here yet afaik, even when it does come in it will run alongside the old regulations too.
    Tbh they need to just promote Erf and the increased safety more, while ensuring stockists are actually stocking erf seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Advertisement

God that looks awful. Babies are only supposed to be in a size 0 car seat for a certain lenght of time a day. Making it a complete travel system on its own could eventually be dangerous if some idiot didn't check restrictions of the seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Anyone know of a company who give a decent discount for multiple seats? I think we need 4, we're sharing drop off & pickups so 2 for us, one for childminder & MIL will be collecting sometimes also. 3 are ISO fix, one isn't.

I'm thinking of the Joie Stages as it's extended rear facing to 18kg & last until child is ready for a booster seat. It's €175 in halfords & they'll give 10% off for multiple buys. Anyone with experience with it, is it sturdy?

Love the britax dual fix, is it worth €470, I assume it wouldn't be feasible to swap between cars?

Anyone know of a company who give a decent discount for multiple seats? I think we need 4, we're sharing drop off & pickups so 2 for us, one for childminder & MIL will be collecting sometimes also. 3 are ISO fix, one isn't.

I'm thinking of the Joie Stages as it's extended rear facing to 18kg & last until child is ready for a booster seat. It's €175 in halfords & they'll give 10% off for multiple buys. Anyone with experience with it, is it sturdy?

Love the britax dual fix, is it worth €470, I assume it wouldn't be feasible to swap between cars?

Incarsafetycentre in Belfast gave me 10% off plus a free headrest for my ERF seats. I have a britax max fix 2 (I guess it weighs the same as the dualfix) and it is soooo heavy!! So I wouldn't be changing it from car to car!! The supporting leg and ISO fix points have bashed into me many a time! It is very similar to the dual fix except it cannot turn and is rearward facing only. I find it a great seat.

Would you consider the britax two way elite....it is sooo easy to move from car to car and it is an ERF until 25kg but can go forward facing either. You could share this seat but buy an extra pair of tether straps and leave them in the other car. Kealys sell them for €25.

If you want to try out seats first and don't want to go up to Belfast kealys sell the britax May way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm looking at the joie too, we need at least two if not more car seats. I'd love to hear if anyone has it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I have 2 joie stages. Tbh i didnt know anything about erf and wanted to switch my 2.5yr old back to rf but needed a new seat for the baba too. Budget was very tight so went with the joie.
    Bought 2 in halfords and got the discount. The lady fitted the ff (to show us how its done) and rf and then left them rf.
    She was very good. Checked the kids in them too.
    Told us what to look out for if ever switching our car.
    So the seat it self is great. Very quick and easy to move from car to car.
    Very comfortable by the looks of my 2 kids.
    And can easily remove covers to wash (not as easy to put back on)
    The only down side ia the seat belt ia in the way but you get used to it. my 3 yr old climbs in herself and climbs over it. While i easily lift my heavy 13mnth old over it.
    We have the 13 mnth old behind driver seat as OH has seat further back when driving and he never really sits in passenger seat. We do need to watch that he is not moving driver seat back too far though.
    I have fitted it ff on occasion for my 3 yr old in my parents 3 door car. (No way would they manage to climb in to the back to strap her) and it was fine then too.

Suucee wrote: »
    I have 2 joie stages. Tbh i didnt know anything about erf and wanted to switch my 2.5yr old back to rf but needed a new seat for the baba too. Budget was very tight so went with the joie.
    Bought 2 in halfords and got the discount. The lady fitted the ff (to show us how its done) and rf and then left them rf.
    She was very good. Checked the kids in them too.
    Told us what to look out for if ever switching our car.
    So the seat it self is great. Very quick and easy to move from car to car.
    Very comfortable by the looks of my 2 kids.
    And can easily remove covers to wash (not as easy to put back on)
    The only down side ia the seat belt ia in the way but you get used to it. my 3 yr old climbs in herself and climbs over it. While i easily lift my heavy 13mnth old over it.
    We have the 13 mnth old behind driver seat as OH has seat further back when driving and he never really sits in passenger seat. We do need to watch that he is not moving driver seat back too far though.
    I have fitted it ff on occasion for my 3 yr old in my parents 3 door car. (No way would they manage to climb in to the back to strap her) and it was fine then too.

Succee how is it installed when it's rearward facing....is it just a seatbelt? Or are there tether straps? Does it feel secure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 CaoilfhionnM

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering could anyone recommend a safe car seat for a newborn? I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase a rear facing car seat and I'm still not sure which is the safest option? Would love some advice on this.

Thanks,

Caoilfhionn

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Went for the Maxi Cosi Pearl Pebble Plus. Meets the new isize regulations, and pretty much every buggy will work with Maxi Cosi car seats. Has extra bit of padding in it to make it snug around a newborn until they grow.

Bit expensive seeing as you might only get a few months use out of it though, but also works with the car seat base, so I can be sure it is fitted correctly in one car, and also works with just the regular seatbelt so that I can fit it in other cars where we cannot fit the base in.

Should be testing it with the passenger in the next few days.

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering could anyone recommend a safe car seat for a newborn? I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase a rear facing car seat and I'm still not sure which is the safest option? Would love some advice on this.

Thanks,

Caoilfhionn

Absolutely rear facing for a newborn. It's five times safer to be refacing and its recommended til age 4 and their hips fuse.

Maxi cosi is the most common one but most travel systems include either the maxi cosi with adaptors or their own car seat (all rear facing usually) eg beep twist

Read up on this website http://www.carseat.se/swedish-car-seats/ for more info

Thanks so much for that. I'm doing a bit of research today and was wondering do you know is it against the law now in Ireland for a newborn to be in a front facing child seat?

Not sure if it's against the law but most 0+ car seats seem to be rearfacing and http://rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Safety%20for%20kids/Child%20Safety%20in%20Cars%20English.pdf has the infants rearfacing

• Advertisement

They both appear to hold up to 18kg and up to until the child is 4 years old.

I wonder is there anywhere in Ireland you can purchase the Swedish style rear facing car seat? Or does it have to be ordered online?

I was reading an article which says it is better to stay rear facing until the age of four OR LONGER and most Swedish style rearward seats hold up to 25 kg. Maybe that would be a good option to go with. I cannot post this article as I'm a new user however I'm sure you could find it by typing in the title "What’s so special about Swedish car seats?"

They both appear to hold up to 18kg and up to until the child is 4 years old.

I wonder is there anywhere in Ireland you can purchase the Swedish style rear facing car seat? Or does it have to be ordered online?

I was reading an article which says it is better to stay rear facing until the age of four OR LONGER and most Swedish style rearward seats hold up to 25 kg. Maybe that would be a good option to go with. I cannot post this article as I'm a new user however I'm sure you could find it by typing in the title "What’s so special about Swedish car seats?"

Yes but both say forward and rearward facing and a bit more digging says they turn forward after the 0 group age is passed. The major hint is in price as I've never seen a rearward to age 4 for that price. Cheapest I've come across is the joie from halfords for 175 which is rearward to age 4. Most of them are 250+

Lots of places stock them but it can be harder to source. Most popular is probably tony Kealys and the incarsafety centre in the north. And as stated halfords have the joie, most places will have one at least though it might be the top of range incredibly expensive ones. There's also tons of them online obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

http://www.boots.ie/en/Hauck-Vario-Guard-Car-Seat-Black-Grey_1291808/

I recently purchased this seat - was about the cheapest extended rear facing seat that I could find, boots had an additional 10% off then for their baby event. No complaints with the seat so far.

All in all wrote: »
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Hauck-Vario-Guard-Car-Seat-Black-Grey_1291808/

I recently purchased this seat - was about the cheapest extended rear facing seat that I could find, boots had an additional 10% off then for their baby event. No complaints with the seat so far.

Bah, thought it was the bomb until I got to the bit where it's only rearfacing to 4 with isofix. One of our cars is isofix, the other isn't-this looked awesome :(

Bah, thought it was the bomb until I got to the bit where it's only rearfacing to 4 with isofix. One of our cars is isofix, the other isn't-this looked awesome :(

We had the same problem re. isofix but it was possible to retrofit the isofix bars. Not sure if this would be an option - cost approx €50.

We had the same problem re. isofix but it was possible to retrofit the isofix bars. Not sure if this would be an option - cost approx €50.

Really? My cars an old one. I just assumed it couldn't be done/wouldn't be safe?

Really?. I just assumed it couldn't be done/wouldn't be safe?

My car was already drilled for it, so it was a bolt on job, so perfectly safe. I just contacted the main dealer and they were able to tell me what to do and supply the parts. They said it is a regular request.

I would say if you contact a main Honda dealer that would be able to answer you pretty quickly if it is possible or not.

My car was already drilled for it, so it was a bolt on job, so perfectly safe. I just contacted the main dealer and they were able to tell me what to do and supply the parts. They said it is a regular request.

I would say if you contact a main dealer that would be able to answer you pretty quickly if it is possible or not.

Ah that makes sense. If they aren't drilled already I probably wouldn't do it tbh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement