Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    The Pebble is up to 1 year and 13kg. Your child is over 14kg

My little girl was tall so I ended up taking her out of pebble at 10 months and she loved moving into front facing seat

You need to move up to next car seat

My recommendation is Axiss, it is not Iso-fix but I love it. Great for getting little ones in and out of car

The Axiss is from 9 months up

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/car-seats-booster/c-589/group-1-9-months-4-years-approx-/p-3996/maxi-cosi-axiss-group-1-car-seat/

Smyths used to have on offer at around 160-180 but back to normal price

sorry its the pearl not the pebble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Cyrus wrote: »

Ahh that makes more sense:p

Yeah remove the cushions. I had something similar and it allowed you to remove cushions as the child grew so they could fit in

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

Can anybody at all help me with my query??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

jakeypooh wrote: »

Correct me if wrong but you are looking to put 3 child seats into back of Land Rover?

Different size car seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

jakeypooh wrote: »

I don't think they'll all fit. There's a thread on the motoring section (I think) about that cars can fit 3 car seats across the back

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Cyrus wrote: »

The Pearl is meant to do up until about 4 years I thought?!?

Currently have ours in the Pebble and with a base in one car and then just using the seatbelt in my car. The Ford CMax being a non-family family car and the iso fix point are not accessible as standard. Have just spent the morning cutting the upholstery of the back seat of my car so that the isofix points can be used and am now off to buy a 2nd base unit. Now that we are both back at work it's far too much hassle to be messing with the seatbelt attachment of the Pebble seat every morning and evening when dropping off at childminders, so will just have a base permanently left in each car and it doesn't matter who does the fetching and carrying (as long as the seat goes wherever baby goes). Will also mean I don't need to have a different model of seat for each car when baby becomes too big for the Pebble.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eds

Apologies if this has been asked before I haven't read the whole thread.

What is the best buy high backed booster for a big kid? Our 3 yo (4 in March) is in a Two Way Elite but his eyes are almost level with the top ( he is top of the charts tall with a very long back), he is about 21.5kg and I don't have great confidence in the TWE.

I want to buy him a seat that will see him through to the end of his car seat days. Ideally I would like isofix. It needs to be both tall and wide fitting.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kells2

Hi, I am looking for an extended rear facing car seat which is safe to use with underfloor storage. We have a Ford CMax and up until now have used a Maxicosi Cabriofix with Isofix base and the lid of the underfloor storage removed. However I have been told that the next size up car seat may be too heavy for this. Does anyone know where to start even? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Kells2 wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for an extended rear facing car seat which is safe to use with underfloor storage. We have a Ford CMax and up until now have used a Maxicosi Cabriofix with Isofix base and the lid of the underfloor storage removed. However I have been told that the next size up car seat may be too heavy for this. Does anyone know where to start even? Thanks

I had to get a britax two way elite because of underfloor storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Kells2 wrote: »
    Join the Ireland -Rear Facing Car seats for children and toddlers in Ireland for a starting point. Serious amount of expertise there.

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    I had to get a britax two way elite because of underfloor storage.

Thanks Millem - will have a look at it

Join the Ireland -Rear Facing Car seats for children and toddlers in Ireland for a starting point. Serious amount of expertise there.

Thanks for that - have just joined:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The harness buckle on my car seat broke today, it's a Graco Nautillus 3 in 1, aqny advise on where to get a new 1 would be greatly appreciated, model number is 1855919

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Does anyone have an extended rear-facing car seat in a small car? We have a 2006 Nissan March that we need to get one for but I haven't been able to find anything conclusive online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Does anyone have a Hyundai ix35 and 3 car seats? Wondering if we'd fit a baby seat and two high back boosters in one ?

Does anyone have an extended rear-facing car seat in a small car? We have a 2006 Nissan March that we need to get one for but I haven't been able to find anything conclusive online.

Yes me :) I had a britax max fix 2 and a britax two way elite in a vw polo 2005 (my old car)
    You can google image various car seats and car brands.

I have had both seats in new vw polo (bigger), new Clio (tiny), new juke (tiny) and new madza2 (tiny). Tiny as in hardly any space in passenger front seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Clashmore

Millem can I ask how do like the maxfix, I' m considering one for my car. Little man is nearly grown out of his cabriofix. Also where did u buy ur maxfix?

TIA
    Clashmore

Clashmore wrote: »
    Millem can I ask how do like the maxfix, I' m considering one for my car. Little man is nearly grown out of his cabriofix. Also where did u buy ur maxfix?

TIA
    Clashmore

I love the max fix2 it actually feels so sturdy and safe. it's isofix, will fit into every car big or small and takes seconds to install. It is also one of only a few car seats to pass the Swedish plus test. It looks similar to dualfix in the flesh but it is rearward only and does not turn or swivel. The base is built in so not separate like 2way pearl. It can be used from 0-18kg. It is one of the taller 0-18kg seats (taller than 2way pearl) but not near as tall as two way elite. I plan on reusing it from birth on baby number 2.

I can't remember what weight the seat is but it is still under ryanair car seat weight limits. I ended up bring my two way elite though I didn't know if rental car would have underfloor storage etc.

I bought from incarsafetycentre in Belfast but boots.ie sell it. I have a code (think it's still valid) for an extra €30 off car seats from boots.

Because it has a base the child will sit higher up than a seat that is not isofix eg two way elite. This can be a plus as they can look out of window but their heads will be closer to the roof of car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clareman wrote: »
    The harness buckle on my car seat broke today, it's a Graco Nautillus 3 in 1, aqny advise on where to get a new 1 would be greatly appreciated, model number is 1855919

By the way, the only place I could get the harness was from Graco directly, including shipping the cost was £29.27.

Of course I now realise that my big little 1 is at 17kg so can be moved out of the harness anyway, I'll need it from my other little 1 in a year or so anyway.

• Advertisement

I love the max fix2 it actually feels so sturdy and safe. it's isofix, will fit into every car big or small and takes seconds to install. It is also one of only a few car seats to pass the Swedish plus test. It looks similar to dualfix in the flesh but it is rearward only and does not turn or swivel. The base is built in so not separate like 2way pearl. It can be used from 0-18kg. It is one of the taller 0-18kg seats (taller than 2way pearl) but not near as tall as two way elite. I plan on reusing it from birth on baby number 2.

I can't remember what weight the seat is but it is still under ryanair car seat weight limits. I ended up bring my two way elite though I didn't know if rental car would have underfloor storage etc.

I bought from incarsafetycentre in Belfast but boots.ie sell it. I have a code (think it's still valid) for an extra €30 off car seats from boots.

Because it has a base the child will sit higher up than a seat that is not isofix eg two way elite. This can be a plus as they can look out of window but their heads will be closer to the roof of car.

Thanks Millem, Tony Kealys sell them also, I'm currently between the maxfix r the dual fix. Going to pay Tony Kealy a visit in the next few weeks to see the seats in person as wud like to try in car before I buy.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yes me :) I had a britax max fix 2 and a britax two way elite in a vw polo 2005 (my old car)
    You can google image various car seats and car brands.

I have had both seats in new vw polo (bigger), new Clio (tiny), new juke (tiny) and new madza2 (tiny). Tiny as in hardly any space in passenger front seat.

Thanks a million. I'm told that the issue might be to do with the length of the buckles in the car in that they are too long and sit in an unsafe position. I suppose there isn't really a way to know in advance whether it will be the right size unless someone else has the same car!

I'll keep googling anyway. I did see that the new Micra (after 2010) is listed by Britax but nothing about older models. Plus, being a Jap import, some aspects of the car differ from Micras here.

Thanks Millem, Tony Kealys sell them also, I'm currently between the maxfix r the dual fix. Going to pay Tony Kealy a visit in the next few weeks to see the seats in person as wud like to try in car before I buy.

Brill! Dualfix swivels and can go forward. At the time I was transfixed on the Swedish plus test ! I actually wanted to try the max way from kealys but they had none in stock at the time. Max way isn't isofix but has also passed seeding plus test. Dualfix can't be tested for it as can go forward. ;) you could probably get max fix 2 for €100 less than dualfix if you buy from boots.ie.

Clashmore just found old emails from Hakan...seat shell of dualfix is 100cm and seat shell of max fix2 is 110cm. He reckoned dualfix would last average child closer to 3 years and maxfix2 closer to 4 years. Both go up to 18kg. I have no doubt staff in kealys will not know this info!!!!

Thanks a million. I'm told that the issue might be to do with the length of the buckles in the car in that they are too long and sit in an unsafe position. I suppose there isn't really a way to know in advance whether it will be the right size unless someone else has the same car!

I'll keep googling anyway. I did see that the new Micra (after 2010) is listed by Britax but nothing about older models. Plus, being a Jap import, some aspects of the car differ from Micras here.
    Are buckles the seat belt?
    Does your march have isofix? If so you wouldn't use seat belt.
    Two way elite (9-18kg) uses tether straps that anchor onto the passenger seat/front seat, it also uses the passenger sea/front seat to lean on for support. It uses the seat belt too but doesn't go around the back of the seat if that makes sense. Ring incarsafetycentre in Belfast. They have seen every car on the market so will know exactly what seat fits! There is a guy in Sweden called Hakan who is also amazing his website is http://www.carseat.se

Are buckles the seat belt?
    Does your march have isofix? If so you wouldn't use seat belt.
    Two way elite (9-18kg) uses tether straps that anchor onto the passenger seat/front seat, it also uses the passenger sea/front seat to lean on for support. It uses the seat belt too but doesn't go around the back of the seat if that makes sense. Ring incarsafetycentre in Belfast. They have seen every car on the market so will know exactly what seat fits! There is a guy in Sweden called Hakan who is also amazing his website is http://www.carseat.se
    No, it's the part that the seatbelt goes into that also has the red release button, if that makes sense. Apparently (according to some RSA person at a baby fair), these buckles in some Nissan models are too long and the position the buckle is in on the carseat is dangerous in a collision.

This is the part I'm referring to:

G3589.JPG

No, it's the part that the seatbelt goes into that also has the red release button, if that makes sense. Apparently (according to some RSA person at a baby fair), these buckles in some Nissan models are too long and the position the buckle is in on the carseat is dangerous in a collision.

This is the part I'm referring to:

G3589.JPG

Oh gosh! Do you have isofix? I would still contact Hakan and incarsafetycentre they literally know everything on car seats!

• Advertisement

No, unfortunately, the car doesn't have isofix but I will definitely get in touch with those people. I'm reading Hakan's site now to see if there is anything on it. Thanks a million for your help, Millem! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Try joining the ERF group and messaging Ron from the RSA check it fits, he is part of the group and is really knowledgeable about what fits what!

Is that on Twitface? I think that group hasn't had a post since March 2015!?

No, unfortunately, the car doesn't have isofix but I will definitely get in touch with those people. I'm reading Hakan's site now to see if there is anything on it. Thanks a million for your help, Millem! :)

No probs! Hakan is fab, I sent him so many emails, he could tell me measurements of seat shells etc. I found the shops here terrible and not a patch on him or incarsafetycentre.

Is that on Twitface? I think that group hasn't had a post since March 2015!?

Twitface?

It's the 'Ireland - Rear facing car seats for toddlers and children', you have to ask to join as its a private group albeit with the guts of 3k members

Ron Richardson I think is the full name of the RSA guy

• Advertisement

Brill! Dualfix swivels and can go forward. At the time I was transfixed on the Swedish plus test ! I actually wanted to try the max way from kealys but they had none in stock at the time. Max way isn't isofix but has also passed seeding plus test. Dualfix can't be tested for it as can go forward. ;) you could probably get max fix 2 for €100 less than dualfix if you buy from boots.ie.

Clashmore just found old emails from Hakan...seat shell of dualfix is 100cm and seat shell of max fix2 is 110cm. He reckoned dualfix would last average child closer to 3 years and maxfix2 closer to 4 years. Both go up to 18kg. I have no doubt staff in kealys will not know this info!!!!

Thanks Millem, good to know. Will have a look at boots.ie, mite ask TK do they price match, as want to physically see the seat before I buy and can't do that with boots.

Thanks Millem, good to know. Will have a look at boots.ie, mite ask TK do they price match, as want to physically see the seat before I buy and can't do that with boots.

Tk always price match for me, no questions asked :)

Will defo look around at other prices so. Is the maxfix easy to swap between cars as only planning on getting one between myself and OH?

Will defo look around at other prices so. Is the maxfix easy to swap between cars as only planning on getting one between myself and OH?

Ah yeah 2 seconds. All ERF isofix seats are heavy though I wouldn't be moving them everyday as heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

My little fella is only 5 months but already 8 kilos so I need to start looking at car seats for group 1 upwards. Mamas and Papas have the cybex pallas on sale at the moment, anyone used it? http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-cybex-pallas-2fix-car-seat-pure-black/2222C8500/type-i/

Dobbit wrote: »
    My little fella is only 5 months but already 8 kilos so I need to start looking at car seats for group 1 upwards. Mamas and Papas have the cybex pallas on sale at the moment, anyone used it? http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-cybex-pallas-2fix-car-seat-pure-black/2222C8500/type-i/

Keep your baby rearward :)

Keep your baby rearward :)

why?

why?
    They are 5 times safer in a crash

They are 5 times safer in a crash

Do you have a link to a source?

Do you have a link to a source?

There is lots of info and videos online. The guy from this site Hakan is a fountain of knowledge.
    http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/rear-facing-basics/
    I will try and find the link in relation to neck loads.

• Advertisement

There is lots of info and videos online. The guy from this site Hakan is a fountain of knowledge.
    http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/rear-facing-basics/
    I will try and find the link in relation to neck loads.

hmm I'll have a read.

Also still would like to hear from anyone who has used that car seat.

hmm I'll have a read.

Also still would like to hear from anyone who has used that car seat.

Do have a read but be warned the videos are pretty horrific.

Your baby is a while off 13kg which I am guessing is the weight limit for your infant car seat. Once you baby starts to crawl and become more active they will lose/not gain weight at the same rate.
    My boy was very heavy but outgrew infant seat on height not weight.

Thanks.

Bit annoying that most of the links I've found so far don't reference how safe they are in the event of a rear collision it's all "5 TIMES SAFER!!!" (in the event of a frontal collision..) but what if someone slams into the back of my car?

Also that link leaves out some chunks of info such as "Only 9 properly restrained rear facing kids died in Sweden in 5 years", out of how many total? How many weren't properly restrained and why? Was it the seat or the parents?

Thanks.

Bit annoying that most of the links I've found so far don't reference how safe they are in the event of a rear collision it's all "5 TIMES SAFER!!!" (in the event of a frontal collision..) but what if someone slams into the back of my car?

Also that link leaves out some chunks of info such as "Only 9 properly restrained rear facing kids died in Sweden in 5 years", out of how many total? How many weren't properly restrained and why? Was it the seat or the parents?

Dobbit through this thread, I am sure people have posted a lot more links. Or google yourself. I would be shocked if mama and papas sold you a FF seat for a 5 month old.

Dobbit through this thread, I am sure people have posted a lot more links. Or google yourself. I would be shocked if mama and papas sold you a FF seat for a 5 month old.

I did google, I said that I'd found links, thanks for the info, just like questioning things is all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

In fairness if I saw the next stage seat that I needed in the sales I would buy it in advance! But I have the family fix 2 way base and the 2 way pearl isn't reduced anywhere. Baby is only 4 months and has loads of room in the pebble so she might still make it to the summer sales :p

In fairness if I saw the next stage seat that I needed in the sales I would buy it in advance!

Exactly! It's 90 off and I have a 50 euro mama's and papas gift card someone gave us so it seemed perfect but now this whole rear facing business has me questioning if it's a good idea. M&P is generally terrible value so I don't know what else I'd spend it on.

Rear facing isofix seats cost a bomb from from I've seen so far and you only get up to 4 out of any of them. Having said that he might have a brother or sister by then so it may get the use :P

Exactly! It's 90 off and I have a 50 euro mama's and papas gift card someone gave us so it seemed perfect but now this whole rear facing business has me questioning if it's a good idea. M&P is generally terrible value so I don't know what else I'd spend it on.

Rear facing isofix seats cost a bomb from from I've seen so far and you only get up to 4 out of any of them. Having said that he might have a brother or sister by then so it may get the use :P

The joie ianchor was on sale in mamas and papas before Christmas for 220 and is currently on sale in smyths for 150 (incredible price!) but stocks are low. It's rear facing to 18kg. We have it and it's a great seat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The joie ianchor was on sale in mamas and papas before Christmas for 220 and is currently on sale in smyths for 150 (incredible price!) but stocks are low. It's rear facing to 18kg. We have it and it's a great seat

Boots have it for €164. Doesn't seem to be on smyths website anymore.

Advertisement