Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

jelenitza wrote: »
    Hi everyone, a quick question.

Our little one is 10 months old now and we're looking for a new rear facing seat, preferably i-Size one. He is very tall (98%) - around 80cm at the moment so I guess we would like to get something that would last till he's 4. We tried Cybex Sirona but it seems there is not enough room for growth, although he looks very comfortable in it. Joie Spin 360 looks comfy enough, but I'm worried because it's not an i-Size seat..

Does anyone have any experience with Jané Gravity? I can't find any decent reviews, just a few YouTube videos.. The company seems to have a lot of crash testing going on and the seat is 340 euro so much better than other more expensive alternatives..

Thanks!

If your child is tall i would avoid any seat they only goes to 18kg. Look at one that goes to 25kg. It won't be isize or isofix but will last you. There is one seat though the rekid that is isofix up to 18kg then tethers up to 25kg.

For future proofing for a tall child your best bet is the two way elite or minikid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you have a tall kid (we do - 98th percentile height) then avoiding iSize seats can be worthwhile. A boy on the 98th or higher percentile will hit 105cm just after his third birthday, too early to go into a HBB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I'd recommend the axkid minikid, its belted, but fab, and it (along with the two way elite) has the tallest seat shell of any erf. It's Swedish plus tested, so very safe. My 5 and a half year old, who is 98centile for height can fit in his little brothers, with growing space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ok, so we're looking at stage 1 carseat for our little one. she's 7 months and keeping small, but won't stay asleep anymore when the car stops and we rarely carry the car seat anywhere any more, so we don't get the benefits (other than safety of course) from using the stage 1 seat. And as it's a borrowed one, I'd like to return it asap.

So, we've been looking at the maxi cosi axiss plus and the Joie spin. I want a seat that i can swivel and these are the two that seem to be good. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on which is better/they prefer etc? Any other swivel seats that you can recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

scarepanda wrote: »
    Ok, so we're looking at stage 1 carseat for our little one. she's 7 months and keeping small, but won't stay asleep anymore when the car stops and we rarely carry the car seat anywhere any more, so we don't get the benefits (other than safety of course) from using the stage 1 seat. And as it's a borrowed one, I'd like to return it asap.

So, we've been looking at the maxi cosi axiss plus and the Joie spin. I want a seat that i can swivel and these are the two that seem to be good. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on which is better/they prefer etc? Any other swivel seats that you can recommend?
    Ok firstly at 7 months the safest place for your baby is in the infant car seat so I would urge you to keep using that for another few months at least particularly if your baby is small. The Swedish Plus tested seats are the safest seats on the market. Rear facing until age 4 is 5 times safer than forward facing. Swivel isn't necessary with extended rear facing seats as it's easier to get baby/toddler in and out.

If you definitely want swivel, you have a few options once your car has isofix. The axisfix isn't a true extended rear facing seat, if you want to rear face for longer, if only goes to about age two. I'd be inclined to avoid that one!
    the britax dualfix is popular, but has a short enough seat shell I think. There's also the recaro zero one, and the nuna real plus. There's a couple of others too, but those ones are quite popular!

Hi all,

Have been very sick (still am) so still haven't managed to order new seat. The new advansafix only goes to 18kg harnessed now. :(
    So I need to either buy old advansafix (very hard to track down) or radian5.
    Incarsafety are a bit apprehensive on the advansafix as they don't think I will get long out of harness due to height not weight. Price on both is very similar.
    Does anyone have a radian5 ff? I found it a nightmare in rearward mode. If so how do you find it?
    Any idea on predicted weight of kids? On 3rd birthday my son was 19kg.....radian5 goes up to 25kg.

Thanks

Millem wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have been very sick (still am) so still haven't managed to order new seat. The new advansafix only goes to 18kg harnessed now. :(
    So I need to either buy old advansafix (very hard to track down) or radian5.
    Incarsafety are a bit apprehensive on the advansafix as they don't think I will get long out of harness due to height not weight. Price on both is very similar.
    Does anyone have a radian5 ff? I found it a nightmare in rearward mode. If so how do you find it?
    Any idea on predicted weight of kids? On 3rd birthday my son was 19kg.....radian5 goes up to 25kg.

Thanks

I have nothing too useful to tell you Millem, I've only ever glanced at the radian 5 in TK. It's on special offer on amazon at the moment though, so if you go with that you might be able to
    save a few €€.
    According to the growth chart on the hse website, your boy is between 98th and 99th centile (if I'm reading it right, I'm on my phone, so squinting a bit!!). If he continues to track on the same line, he would be around 22kg on his 4th birthday, but his growth could start to slow down. My 5 year old was around 99th centile for height and weight, and he weighs about 22kg now, and has done for a good while. The hse growth charts online are only for 0-4yrs though, so no info beyond that!

jlm29 wrote: »
    I have nothing too useful to tell you Millem, I've only ever glanced at the radian 5 in TK. It's on special offer on amazon at the moment though, so if you go with that you might be able to
    save a few €€.
    According to the growth chart on the hse website, your boy is between 98th and 99th centile (if I'm reading it right, I'm on my phone, so squinting a bit!!). If he continues to track on the same line, he would be around 22kg on his 4th birthday, but his growth could start to slow down. My 5 year old was around 99th centile for height and weight, and he weighs about 22kg now, and has done for a good while. The hse growth charts online are only for 0-4yrs though, so no info beyond that!
    Thanks jlm! I saw those charts but couldn't see anything past 4yrs!
    I am put of loop with bargains as have been so sick!! It was apparently only £158 in jan on amazon :(
    I turned the twe ff the other day. It keeps sloping to the right rearward and driving me crazy. Can't lift him out as am pregnant. Was trying to let him out other door but can't in a lot of scenarios!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

A diono radian five is one of the narrowest group one seats, btw! And I think a britax adventurer is the narrowest hbb.

Thanks, from what I can see the Britax is 44 x 44 x 67

I was recommended by a friend Kinderkraft Expander Booster Isofix Car Seat, I checked and the size is 66cm(H) x 41cm(W) x 43cm(L)

Anyone have experience of it?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Thanks, from what I can see the Britax is 44 x 44 x 67

I was recommended by a friend Kinderkraft Expander Booster Isofix Car Seat, I checked and the size is 66cm(H) x 41cm(W) x 43cm(L)

Anyone have experience of it?

I've never seen it, but if it has arm rests, it might be narrower at the base than the others, but be a bit wider up along the back. Also, if it's isofix, there's no wiggle room, with a belted booster you can have a bit more leeway on the seat.

TBH, if it's that tight on space, I would look at a different car. Even if you find three seats that will fit in the back, the access to the buckles will be very tight, I have three full seats in the back of my car, and still my five year old struggles sometimes to see what he's doing if there's three car seats across the back

I have managed to track down an advansafix 2. Just need to decide that or radian 5. I like the narrowness of radian5 from a future children point of view! I know NOTHING about HBB which advansfix 2 turns into!

What should you look for in a HBB? Is advansafix a good HBB? If I get an advansafix It turns into a HBB! But don't want to only get a year out of it then have to buy another seat if it's a rubbish HBB!

I have managed to track down an advansafix 2. Just need to decide that or radian 5. I like the narrowness of radian5 from a future children point of view! I know NOTHING about HBB which advansfix 2 turns into!

What should you look for in a HBB? Is advansafix a good HBB? If I get an advansafix It turns into a HBB! But don't want to only get a year out of it then have to buy another seat if it's a rubbish HBB!

I never did a huge amount of research into HBB, but I know I've seen The check it fits guys from the RSA recommend the britax adventurer, which is the one I have, and only around €50. They're not a big ticket item at all. If I was buying a hbb, I'd be looking at the side impact protection, which I'd imagine the advansafix has plenty of!

I never did a huge amount of research into HBB, but I know I've seen The check it fits guys from the RSA recommend the britax adventurer, which is the one I have, and only around €50. They're not a big ticket item at all. If I was buying a hbb, I'd be looking at the side impact protection, which I'd imagine the advansafix has plenty of!
    Ok thanks a mil. I have the twe in forward mode and believe it or not it's rock solid. We have I slot left on seat fir harness.
    The harness part still causing me a little headache with him moving straps on longish journey.....took 60 mins today to drive 1km as there was road closure due to crash....had to drive around the world to get home bumper to bumper :(

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post a few weeks ago. Since then we've been looking at the different options and it's now down to the brittax dual fix or the recaro zero1. I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on them?

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post a few weeks ago. Since then we've been looking at the different options and it's now down to the brittax dual fix or the recaro zero1. I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on them?

I've never seen either in real life, but I've heard a lot of people say the dualfix is outgrown on height quite early on. It seems to be a seat for smallies, I've seen a few people on facebook say they had to buy another seat before age 3 because of that!

jlm29 wrote:
    I've never seen either in real life, but I've heard a lot of people say the dualfix is outgrown on height quite early on. It seems to be a seat for smallies, I've seen a few people on facebook say they had to buy another seat before age 3 because of that!

Ya, it looks bulky, but small at the same time if that makes sense. At the moment she's keeping small and probably will stay that way.

If I'm honest I'm leaning towards the recaro zero.1. but it doesn't seem that common/popular here even though the reviews seem good online. And we're wondering why!

Ya, it looks bulky, but small at the same time if that makes sense. At the moment she's keeping small and probably will stay that way.

If I'm honest I'm leaning towards the recaro zero.1. but it doesn't seem that common/popular here even though the reviews seem good online. And we're wondering why!

I think it's because there's very few stockists!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Monaou2

I think it's because there's very few stockists!

We have the Recaro Xero 1. No complaints so far from our 19mth old. The swivel is great and she seems very happy in it.

Check if there's a baby insert as like others have said - 7mths is very young to transition to these seats especially if she is small. The angle of the seat is different for all of them vs the infant seats so I'd be a bit worried re head falling forward all the time.

Feel free to PM if want any more info on seat.

Monaou2 wrote:
    We have the Recaro Xero 1. No complaints so far from our 19mth old. The swivel is great and she seems very happy in it.

That's good to hear!
    Monaou2 wrote:
    Check if there's a baby insert as like others have said - 7mths is very young to transition to these seats especially if she is small. The angle of the seat is different for all of them vs the infant seats so I'd be a bit worried re head falling forward all the time.

Ya, it's a 'from birth' seat and all the inserts etc come with it. She still needed the insert when i was Looking at it a couple weeks ago, although she's not far from not needing it from what i can remember.

I'll be going looking at them again next week and decide for definate then. We'll get it now as we have a bit of spare cash at the moment, but will probably hold off using it till she's a bit bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Monaou2

That's good to hear!

Ya, it's a 'from birth' seat and all the inserts etc come with it. She still needed the insert when i was Looking at it a couple weeks ago, although she's not far from not needing it from what i can remember.

I'll be going looking at them again next week and decide for definate then. We'll get it now as we have a bit of spare cash at the moment, but will probably hold off using it till she's a bit bigger.

Very good. I can also vouch that it washes well - which is proving very important!!

Not sure where you are based, but when we ordered ours the best price we found was from Little Dreamers in Galway. Online order and delivery all worked well. Expensive racket!

Hi guys,
    Just got an email from pramworld. The besafe izi x3 fix is £120. I actually don't need this type of seat yet....was going to wait to January but if it was good and £100 off I would buy and store!! I am sure I also have a 5% off promo code off somewhere. I am on my phone so can't post links!
    We are currently using 2 two way elites forward (in 3 cars) which are perfect but not buying a third one for occasional use just move a two way elite across to other car ;)

Haven't really looked too much into the HBB seats so don't know if the besafe one is any use! I want isofix though :)

Or if anyone can give me recommendations and I can keep track price!
    Thanks a million.

Hi guys,
    Just got an email from pramworld. The besafe izi x3 fix is £120. I actually don't need this type of seat yet....was going to wait to January but if it was good and £100 off I would buy and store!! I am sure I also have a 5% off promo code off somewhere. I am on my phone so can't post links!
    We are currently using 2 two way elites forward (in 3 cars) which are perfect but not buying a third one for occasional use just move a two way elite across to other car ;)

Haven't really looked too much into the HBB seats so don't know if the besafe one is any use! I want isofix though :)

Or if anyone can give me recommendations and I can keep track price!
    Thanks a million.

I saw that the britax discovery is reduced on winstanleys pramworld at the moment. It's isofit. The britax high backed boosters always seem to get a good review!

I saw that the britax discovery is reduced on winstanleys pramworld at the moment. It's isofit. The britax high backed boosters always seem to get a good review!

Thanks, I am wondering is this the one which is the slimmest?

Is this it?

http://www.pramworld.co.uk/britaxromer-adventure-cosmos-black-1#.WTkR12ei7X0

Thanks, I am wondering is this the one which is the slimmest?

Is this it?

http://www.pramworld.co.uk/britaxromer-adventure-cosmos-black-1#.WTkR12ei7X0

That's the adventurer, it's not isofit, but it is very narrow. I think if you're stuck for space, you're better off avoiding isofix, there's a bit more wiggle room when you're not stuck to using the isofix connectors

That's the adventurer, it's not isofit, but it is very narrow. I think if you're stuck for space, you're better off avoiding isofix, there's a bit more wiggle room when you're not stuck to using the isofix connectors

Dont need isofix, just trying to work out 3 car seats in Golf....

I'd say you will struggle with 3 in a golf! The adventurer is probably the one to look at so! The radian 5 is one of the narrowest group ones around! What ages are the three kids?

I have had 3 across a golf.
    1 was a two way elite forward facing, one was a maxi cosi HBB non isofix think it's called a rodi?? And I don't know what other HBB one was as belonged to my son's friend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hi, can anyone recommend a rear facing non iso fix stage 2 car seat? So far I have come up with these two; Joie Every Stage Car Seat & BeSafe iZi Plus non-ISOfix

Anyone have either of these or something else they would recommend?
    TIA

I have the Every Stage in a 2015 Vauxhall Astra. We like it, but my son is quite likely to outgrow it early because he's on the 99th percentile for height and will hit 105cm (max rear-facing height) around his third birthday.

Axkid Minikid is non-Isofix and rear faces to 25kg.

• Advertisement

I have the Every Stage in a 2015 Vauxhall Astra. We like it, but my son is quite likely to outgrow it early because he's on the 99th percentile for height and will hit 105cm (max rear-facing height) around his third birthday.

Axkid Minikid is non-Isofix and rear faces to 25kg.

Thanks, that is good to know as my son is in the 95th percentile for height.

wuffly wrote: »
    Thanks, that is good to know as my son is in the 95th percentile for height.

We have a minikid, and it's a great seat. My five year old who is really really tall would still fit in his little brothers minikid. It also doesn't have to brace the seat in front of it, so the front seat can be moved freely

Just to let anyone know who is interested in the TWE.....apparently new TWEs will only be FF until 18kg with harness but still 25kg RF.
    It's to do with the actual harness, it's a new type being used.....britax can't get the old ones anymore.
    Incarsafetycentre told me last week :)
    All old stock are FF till 25kg in harness :)

The minikid is not available where I live at the moment unfortunately and shipping it would be astronomical. Thanks for the info anyway.

The minikid is not available where I live at the moment unfortunately and shipping it would be astronomical. Thanks for the info anyway.

Did you try the shop in Waterford "mum n me"?

^ I might be wrong on this one, but I think Wuffly is in the middle east!

^ I might be wrong on this one, but I think Wuffly is in the middle east!

Yep I am and I think because the mini kid is already on the expensive side shops dont stock as they wouldn't get the massive mark up they get on everything else 🙄 Besides road safety standards aren't quiet the same 🙈

Yep I am and I think because the mini kid is already on the expensive side shops dont stock as they wouldn't get the massive mark up they get on everything else 🙄 Besides road safety standards aren't quiet the same 🙈

Did you try hakan from carseat.se? I am 99% sure he ships there!

Did you try hakan from carseat.se? I am 99% sure he ships there!

Just had look on the site looks great but 95e for delivery here!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Hey everybody! Complete noob here so excuse my ignorance..We are expecting twins in a few months so getting the important stuff sorted now!

I presume going with Isofix is the safest option, do people usually go for the base which lasts for 3-4 years or the short-term option for first 12 months. Thinking of getting the City Select stroller & we have a Tuscon. Any advise greatly appreciated!

Hey everybody! Complete noob here so excuse my ignorance..We are expecting twins in a few months so getting the important stuff sorted now!

I presume going with Isofix is the safest option, do people usually go for the base which lasts for 3-4 years or the short-term option for first 12 months. Thinking of getting the City Select stroller & we have a Tuscon. Any advise greatly appreciated!

Isofix is no safer than a belted seat, if the two of them are installed correctly. Isofix is more foolproof though, and can be handier if you're moving seats often
    I have the base that lasts the shorter length of time (cabriofix seat and easy fix base) and bought a belted stage 1 seat when that was outgrown. I've kept my middle boy rear facing, and will do so for as long as I can, as it's so much safer than forward facing up to age 4.
    I think that buying the base now that will suit your group 0 and group 1 seat (I assume you're looking at maxi cosi seats and bases) probably doesn't save that much, because the base itself is more expensive than the alternative. It also really limits your choice of seats down the line. If you think you're going to get the 2 way fix base, make sure you go to a shop and try the 2 way pearl in your car. Some cars have sloped seats and don't really suit isofix car seats at all, because it makes the baby too upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Isofix is no safer than a belted seat, if the two of them are installed correctly. Isofix is more foolproof though, and can be handier if you're moving seats often
    I have the base that lasts the shorter length of time (cabriofix seat and easy fix base) and bought a belted stage 1 seat when that was outgrown. I've kept my middle boy rear facing, and will do so for as long as I can, as it's so much safer than forward facing up to age 4.
    I think that buying the base now that will suit your group 0 and group 1 seat (I assume you're looking at maxi cosi seats and bases) probably doesn't save that much, because the base itself is more expensive than the alternative. It also really limits your choice of seats down the line. If you think you're going to get the 2 way fix base, make sure you go to a shop and try the 2 way pearl in your car. Some cars have sloped seats and don't really suit isofix car seats at all, because it makes the baby too upright.

wow great info thanks for that. Will probably go with the short term option from the start, makes more sense for now. Been primarily looking at Mothercare, what is a good alternative store for car seats etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

wow great info thanks for that. Will probably go with the short term option from the start, makes more sense for now. Been primarily looking at Mothercare, what is a good alternative store for car seats etc.?

Where are you based? Tony Kealys are the best imo, they know what they're talking about and will fit your seats properly for you. They also price match within Ireland

In Car Safety Centre in Belfast is worth a look - exchange rate is favourable for you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Maxi cosi infant seats with or without the base. After that rear facing to age 4 if at all possible for safety.

We had the maxi cosi with belt/isofix base. Then moved to joie tilt (childminder), joie stages (daddy's car) and joie 360 spin (mammys car)

• Advertisement

Be safe are an excellent brand too - we had their infant carrier as I preferred it to the maxi cosi. I liked the harness better and also the material the hood is made of. They have a new modular system out where you use the same base for infant carrier and older rearfacing seat

Definitely tony kealys in the republic. Remember that they will price match like with like if you spot a bargain elsewhere. I've heard great things about in car safety in Belfast, but I've never been. the rsa do a check it fits roadshow and will fit or check any car seat free of charge.
    The maxicosi cabriofix seems to be one of the longest lasting (by length) infant carriers, you'll probably get 18 months out of them for average sized babies. My 91st centile height and weight 18 mo boy is only 13 kg now. He's very tall, he probably got to 14 or 15 months out of the cabriofix height wise.

When we bought our infant seat the recommendation was to stay in the infant carrier as long as possible but I've seen a few times now recommendations to move babies at 12 months https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.parents.com/health/parents-news-now/is-your-1-year-old-in-the-right-car-seat-are-you-sure/

Can someone tell me is this right!!
    Maxi cosi citi- it is The cheapest and can't use a base
    Cabriofix- it can use a family fix (dearer base) or easyfix base (I only want isofix)
    Pebble - its dearer and better SIP. It only uses family fix base
    Pebble plus - it only uses 2way base

I have no intention of buying the next stage seat "pearl".

I had no intention of buying one as had sold my besafe and bought a 0-18kg seat but have been told baby needs an infant carrier until 6 months :(
    I can borrow one but it isn't compatible with my bugaboo :( I think I may need option sticking it onto pram due to space in boot of car.

Can someone tell me is this right!!
    Maxi cosi citi- it is The cheapest and can't use a base
    Cabriofix- it can use a family fix (dearer base) or easyfix base (I only want isofix)
    Pebble - its dearer and better SIP. It only uses family fix base
    Pebble plus - it only uses 2way base

I have no intention of buying the next stage seat "pearl".

I had no intention of buying one as had sold my besafe and bought a 0-18kg seat but have been told baby needs an infant carrier until 6 months :(
    I can borrow one but it isn't compatible with my bugaboo :( I think I may need option sticking it onto pram due to space in boot of car.

Think that's it Millem! Except for the citi- I've never even heard of it! I have the cabriofix with the easyfix base. Couldn't fault it, and probably the cheapest option if you want isofix! It's also very spacious, you'll probably get the longest out of it, though that probably isnt an issue for you since you only need it for 6 mo

• Advertisement
Advertisement