Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

jlm29 wrote: »
    Think that's it Millem! Except for the citi- I've never even heard of it! I have the cabriofix with the easyfix base. Couldn't fault it, and probably the cheapest option if you want isofix! It's also very spacious, you'll probably get the longest out of it, though that probably isnt an issue for you since you only need it for 6 mo
    Ok so now I have to price!!
    I never intended on buying one but may need to do to space in boot of my car :( although am possibly contemplating changing it . Don't really want to though so buying a seat that clips onto buggy will be cheaper lol lol
    I bloody hate those adapters!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Millem wrote: »
    Can someone tell me is this right!!
    Maxi cosi citi- it is The cheapest and can't use a base
    Cabriofix- it can use a family fix (dearer base) or easyfix base (I only want isofix)
    Pebble - its dearer and better SIP. It only uses family fix base
    Pebble plus - it only uses 2way base

I have no intention of buying the next stage seat "pearl".

I had no intention of buying one as had sold my besafe and bought a 0-18kg seat but have been told baby needs an infant carrier until 6 months :(
    I can borrow one but it isn't compatible with my bugaboo :( I think I may need option sticking it onto pram due to space in boot of car.

What seat do you have? If you have a 0-18kg seat they're suitable from birth?

What seat do you have? If you have a 0-18kg seat they're suitable from birth?

No they (all 0-18kg) are actually not suitable from birth believe it or not! I have a britax max fix2.
    Incarsafety and hakan have both said you need an infant carrier! I sold mine after 6 months :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

No they (all 0-18kg) are actually not suitable from birth believe it or not! I have a britax max fix2.
    Incarsafety and hakan have both said you need an infant carrier! I sold mine after 6 months :(

That really doesn't make sense.. they're sold with a newborn insert and pass all regulations for newborns. If they weren't suitable they couldn't be classified as 0+

That really doesn't make sense.. they're sold with a newborn insert and pass all regulations for newborns. If they weren't suitable they couldn't be classified as 0+

Look I am disgusted tbh. I had terrible trouble with those stupid car seat adapters and infant carrier. I bought a max fix2 because it had passed Swedish plus test, was isofix and suitable from 0-18kg. I sold my infant carrier which I had told them about!
    That was just under 3 years ago. Now I am due new baby and all the shops including tony kealy have said no 0-18kg is flat enough for a newborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Look I am disgusted tbh. I had terrible trouble with those stupid car seat adapters and infant carrier. I bought a max fix2 because it had passed Swedish plus test, was isofix and suitable from 0-18kg. I sold my infant carrier which I had told them about!
    That was just under 3 years ago. Now I am due new baby and all the shops including tony kealy have said no 0-18kg is flat enough for a newborn.

Yes that is what I was told too. Even though the bigger seats are advertised as 0-18kg none of them are comfortable enough for a newborn. would you try buying one preloved somewhere like the ERF Facebook page where people would be trustworthy and very into car safety. I wouldn't buy one preloved on adverts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Does anyone know if there's a list of all rear facing car seats that go as far as 25kg? Or are there any that go even longer than that? I'm so frustrated looking through different websites. A lot of the ones that say they go to 25kg only go rear facing until 18kg.

So far, I know of:
    Axkid Minikid
    Britax Two Way Elite
    BeSafe Izi Plus

What others, if any, are there?

As for the new isize ones, are there any rear facing ones that go beyond 105cm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Does anyone know if there's a list of all rear facing car seats that go as far as 25kg? Or are there any that go even longer than that? I'm so frustrated looking through different websites. A lot of the ones that say they go to 25kg only go rear facing until 18kg.

So far, I know of:
    Axkid Minikid
    Britax Two Way Elite
    BeSafe Izi Plus

What others, if any, are there?

As for the new isize ones, are there any rear facing ones that go beyond 105cm?

There's a chart that shows all the 25 kg seats, rear and forward facing. I'll see can I find it and stick it up. There's a couple of britax ones, the hiway and the multitech I think!
    If you look on the car seat.se website, you'll probably find most of them there!

ETA, I'm not sure I can share the chart here, but the others are
    Britax multitech 2
    Britax highway
    Britax maxway
    Diono radian 5
    Maxi cosi mobi

There's a couple of other axkid seats too.

The joie bold and the cosy n safe Excalibur are ff seats with harness to 25kg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Clashmore

There are a few others.
    Diono Radian 5
    Britax Maxway
    Axkid Rekid
    Maxi Cosi Mobi

Have attached a pic of rearfacing seats up to 25kg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Pebble plus - it only uses 2way base

The Pebble Plus can be used without the base with just the seatbelt.

Was part of the reason I started with that series of seats as one car didn't have ISOfix at the time (until I modified the upholstery with a Stanley knife) and the other car needed to be able to have the car seat fitted simply using the base and no faffing with a seatbelt. That seat has now been handed down to my brother as his car is from pre ISOfix even existing in cars.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    The Pebble Plus can be used without the base with just the seatbelt.

Was part of the reason I started with that series of seats as one car didn't have ISOfix at the time (until I modified the upholstery with a Stanley knife) and the other car needed to be able to have the car seat fitted simply using the base and no faffing with a seatbelt. That seat has now been handed down to my brother as his car is from pre ISOfix even existing in cars.
    Yes sorry I know it can use just a seatbelt! I just prefer using bases! What I meant by " it only uses 2way base" was it cant use normal family fix or easyfix base!

I am after sourcing a good deal on a black cabriofix and easyfix base if anyone is interested! £162+£20 delivery! Trying to get it down to to £175! Lol!
    I tried lots if seats on my bugaboo cameleon on Sunday. I found the cabriofix wouldn't fit on bugaboo adapters the wrong way ;) so can't get stuck!
    Does anyone have a besafe izi sleep?
    I looked at stokke version but couldn't try it on bugaboo!

Thanks jlm and Clashmore. That chart is great and exactly the type of thing I was looking for.

After looking into all of those options, am I right in saying that the Izi Plus and the Maxi Cosi Mobi are the only ones with a decent recline?

Out of those two, which one would a child last longer in, height wise? I know they are not rated for height but would anyone have any idea of the tallest a child could be and still fit into either of these two options?

I know the others on the list are better for taller children (my girl is in the 99th centile) but the recline is very important to me as I imagine I'll be putting her into it quite early. I know she will outgrow her infant car seat long before she reaches its 13kg limit due to her length and I'm not at all comfortable putting her in something that doesn't recline loads when she's still so young.

Thanks jlm and Clashmore. That chart is great and exactly the type of thing I was looking for.

After looking into all of those options, am I right in saying that the Izi Plus and the Maxi Cosi Mobi are the only ones with a decent recline?

Out of those two, which one would a child last longer in, height wise? I know they are not rated for height but would anyone have any idea of the tallest a child could be and still fit into either of these two options?

I know the others on the list are better for taller children (my girl is in the 99th centile) but the recline is very important to me as I imagine I'll be putting her into it quite early. I know she will outgrow her infant car seat long before she reaches its 13kg limit due to her length and I'm not at all comfortable putting her in something that doesn't recline loads when she's still so young.

the minikid and the two way elite have the tallest seat shells. A few of the seats have a minimum weight limit of 9kg. Definitely the minikid and the twe. The minikid is a great seat, I have it installed and the recline is quite good. There's also an extra wedge it can be fitted with to increase the recline but I don't have this in.
    I suppose it depends a bit on the car, and if the seats are sloped, and how much leg room you need up front!
    The radian 5 is suitable from birth, I think it might need an insert though, so the recline must be quite good on it! The radian 5 does need to brace the seat in front, which might not suit!

the minikid and the two way elite have the tallest seat shells. A few of the seats have a minimum weight limit of 9kg. Definitely the minikid and the twe. The minikid is a great seat, I have it installed and the recline is quite good. There's also an extra wedge it can be fitted with to increase the recline but I don't have this in.
    I suppose it depends a bit on the car, and if the seats are sloped, and how much leg room you need up front!
    The radian 5 is suitable from birth, I think it might need an insert though, so the recline must be quite good on it! The radian 5 does need to brace the seat in front, which might not suit!

I've been reading a lot of reviews and comparisons, including a lot of Swedish ones with Google translate, and they seem to think the reclines aren't good enough on any of those seats.

My Volvo has very sloped seats as well, which makes it worse.

I definitely don't want anything that requires a wedge.

I found out that the Izi Plus should fit until about 115cm tall. I haven't found anything for the Mobi yet.

I know there are a lot of fans of the Minikid and the TWE but, although future proofing is important to me, it's not as important as finding the safest and most comfortable option for her while she's still only a baby. Hopefully she'll be able to stay in the infant seat until 6 months but I don't see her lasting in it much longer than that.

I want to keep her rear facing for as long as possible but I may just have to buy another rear facing seat in the future, due to her height. Hopefully there will be better options by then that last even longer than the Minikid.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I've been reading a lot of reviews and comparisons, including a lot of Swedish ones with Google translate, and they seem to think the reclines aren't good enough on any of those seats.

I found out that the Izi Plus should fit until about 115cm tall. I haven't found anything for the Mobi yet.

I know there are a lot of fans of the Minikid and the TWE but, although future proofing is important to me, it's not as important as finding the safest and most comfortable option for her while she's still only a baby. Hopefully she'll be able to stay in the infant seat until 6 months but I don't see her lasting in it much longer than that.

I want to keep her rear facing for as long as possible but I may just have to buy another rear facing seat in the future, due to her height. Hopefully there will be better options by then that last even longer than the Minikid.

The minikid goes to 125cm which is the height of an average 7 year old. What infant seat do you have? Maxi cosi does to 74cm I think and it would be very rare for a 6 month old to outgrow it. The legs don't matter. It's outgrown when head is over the top.

The minikid goes to 125cm which is the height of an average 7 year old. What infant seat do you have? Maxi cosi does to 74cm I think and it would be very rare for a 6 month old to outgrow it. The legs don't matter. It's outgrown when head is over the top.

This. If she's that young, I'd be more inclined to buy another infant carrier- my lb is 98 centile for height and weight, and was in the maxi cosi until he was about 15 months. If your infant carrier is very small, I'd be more inclined to buy another, and then buy a minikid or a twe down the line to accommodate her height.

Email hakan from carseat.se or incarsafetycentre they will best to advise you on what seat is best for your car!
    The TWE and radian5 need to rest against front seat. In my MIL golf sv this is a problem as front passenger seat barely touches it if seat is back the furthest! Which may not be comfortable for passenger! I don't like being that far away ;) but apparently you should be as far away from dashboard !

I don't think they will recommend radian anyway as it is far too complicated to put together! Don't think they will recommend mobi as it is meant to take up soooo much space!

My son is very tall, he outgrown infant car seat at about 7 months. It's his long body. Tony kealys confirmed he had outgrown it!
    I got him a TWE. I like you wanted him rearward until 5! But when I was pregnant I just couldn't lift him anymore out of car. Opening opposite door and letting him climb out always wasn't an option either due to other cars! So I had to turn my TWE forward. As much as I moaned about the harness on it I am delighted I went to TWE as he has a harness until 25kg :) it's basically the only seat with harness that will fit him. Radian is similar height but wouldn't last him as long due to position of their harness and straps!

I also bought an isofix seat max fix2 as I didn't trust other people with tether straps. It only goes to 18kg (I think it's actually 19 or 19.5kg believe it or not).
    The actually seat shell is fab. My son still fits in it but is too heavy :( the Max way is the non isofix version. It goes to 25kg. The seat shell is the same.
    The hiway is similar it's the old version of maxway. It goes to 25kg is a little cheaper. The difference is the harness height has to be adjusted manually (like TWE). The maxway and max fit you lift up a thing at back and it automatically moves it up and down!

Tony kealy selling minikid now so you could Suss that out in the flesh if you are near one?

I was also thinking (in the middle of the night, you'd think I'd have more to be doing!). If you're not near a tony kealys, you should see if the rsa check it fits will be near you soon. They have a twe and a minikid on board for trialling, they could try them in your car to see how much recline they have when installed.
    The joie range of seats (tilt, steadi,stages) also are installed in a very reclined position. They're only 18kg, and the way they're installed with the seat belt coming across the door would annoy me, but with the big recline they might suit you.
    When you say you don't want anything that needs a wedge, do you mean you don't want a seat with an insert or a wedge under it to install it?

• Advertisement

I have a Cam Area Zero+. It's not small at all. I'd say it's on the bigger end of infant carriers.

If she stays in the 99th centile, she'll be 74cm at 7 months.
    This. If she's that young, I'd be more inclined to buy another infant carrier- my lb is 98 centile for height and weight, and was in the maxi cosi until he was about 15 months. If your infant carrier is very small, I'd be more inclined to buy another, and then buy a minikid or a twe down the line to accommodate her height.

Even if she stayed in an infant carrier until 15 months, which is never going to happen, I'd still want something with the best recline.

Is there something wrong with the Izi Plus? She should be 115cm at 4 and a half years old so I can buy the Minikid then. Or, like I said, I can hope something even better will be around in 4 years time, since she'll outgrow a Minikid by 5 and a half (125cm) anyway. I'd love to keep her rear facing until 7 but the 99th centile for a 7 year old girl is 135cm.
    When you say you don't want anything that needs a wedge, do you mean you don't want a seat with an insert or a wedge under it to install it?

I just don't want any separate parts to be dealing with. The recline should be an integral part of the seat, for both convenience and for safety.

The Izi Plus and the Mobi can both be adjusted while the baby is in the seat. I'd say that would be very handy with a toddler as they could nap for a while and then sit up and look around.
    Tony kealy selling minikid now so you could Suss that out in the flesh if you are near one?

I think that's the best idea. I'll see what the recline is like in real life.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice!

I have a Cam Area Zero+. It's not small at all. I'd say it's on the bigger end of infant carriers.

If she stays in the 99th centile, she'll be 74cm at 7 months.

Even if she stayed in an infant carrier until 15 months, which is never going to happen, I'd still want something with the best recline.

Is there something wrong with the Izi Plus? She should be 115cm at 4 and a half years old so I can buy the Minikid then. Or, like I said, I can hope something even better will be around in 4 years time, since she'll outgrow a Minikid by 5 and a half (125cm) anyway. I'd love to keep her rear facing until 7 but the 99th centile for a 7 year old girl is 135cm.

I just don't want any separate parts to be dealing with. The recline should be an integral part of the seat, for both convenience and for safety.

The Izi Plus and the Mobi can both be adjusted while the baby is in the seat. I'd say that would be very handy with a toddler as they could nap for a while and then sit up and look around.

I think that's the best idea. I'll see what the recline is like in real life.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice!

I doubt there's anything wrong with the izi-plus, I just don't know anything about, so can't advise. A good few of my friends have erf seats, so I've only mentioned the ones that I've come across in real life.
    I think the most difficult thing about choosing an erf seat is that is hard to see them in the flesh, because so few shops have a decent selection! You have to go to multiple shops to see them all.

The recline on the minikid is an integral part of the seat, it's just that you can buy an additional wedge to offset the slope of your seats it needs be.

Good luck whatever you decide, it's an investment, so plenty research is the only way!

ETA, if you're on Facebook, there's a rear facing seat group which is extremely useful!

Waterfarie if you contact incarsafety they will tell you how long each seat will last you based on the clothes size (top size) your baby is wearing! It is not all to do with shell height tbh! The harness position (shoulder and crotch) in our case was the deciding factor. If you see a radian5 and twe side by side they must be the same height, bought go up to 25kg but the harnesses are different. It was a real eye opener for me! The max way and maxfix2 have shorter shells but my son is not on heightest harness height so could still stay in them (except too heavy now for mex fix2)!

Carseats would really really give you a migraine!!!!

I really need to buy a new infant carrier! I can get cabriofix and base for say E200 (canriofix by itself is around E115), I can get pebble for E130 and borrow a base, or buy an izi sleep and base E150.
    Izi sleep weighs a tonne of bricks but lies flat like a pram (haven't tried it on bugaboo) I found the pebble a little heavier than cabriofix and harder to get on bugaboo, cabriofix was light and very easy to get off and on bugaboo and don't think it can get stuck! It's probably the best option but I am a bit paranoid about length of time baby can stay in it as in he won't be lieing flat! Any opinions would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Hi.
    Can anyone recommend an extended rear facing car seat for my 3.5 year old?
    He is average height and weight, currently 100cm tall, and weighs 13.5kg

I would like him to be rear facing for another 1.5 years, until he is 5 if possible.
    He is currently in a rear facing Maxi Cosi Two Way Pearl, which his 14-month old sister is about to inherit.

Isofix or belt, doesn't matter.

Suggestions please??

MtM

Hi.
    Can anyone recommend an extended rear facing car seat for my 3.5 year old?
    He is average height and weight, currently 100cm tall, and weighs 13.5kg

I would like him to be rear facing for another 1.5 years, until he is 5 if possible.
    He is currently in a rear facing Maxi Cosi Two Way Pearl, which his 14-month old sister is about to inherit.

Isofix or belt, doesn't matter.

Suggestions please??

MtM

Are you sure they weigh 13.5kg?

I think the best two options are britax two way elite or axkid minikid. Both have the tallest shells.
    Axkid do have a new one out that is slightly cheaper but don't know anything about it! Very similar to minikid but hardness doesn't move up with headrest if my memory serves me correct!!

I have 2 two way elites and have them forward facing now due to being pregnant! It's great that they are harnessed up to 25kg!
    I paid about €175 I think for my latest two way elite from a Finnish/Swedish website! The other one cost a lot more from incarsafety.

I also have a max fix2 isofix, my son is 106cm he is fine in it on height but weighs 20kg so is too heavy for it!! The max way is the seatbelt version of it....same seat but will take 25kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The new TWE isn't harnessed forward facing until 25kg, just to 18kg. Still rf'ing until 25kg.

I have a TWE for my 3.5 year old and he loves it.

• Advertisement

Yes January I posted that recently but there is still old stock of twe. I would say incarsafety have old stock. They did anyway when I got my second one around easter time.
    Hakan must also have old stock left as he is still advertising FF to 25kg.

I bought mine from a Finnish site and they've definitely run out of old stock.

January wrote: »
    I bought mine from a Finnish site and they've definitely run out of old stock.

Maybe Finland have now. when I was onto incarsafety in July or whenever I posted on this thread about new harness they had old stock left. I had to get step by step instructions on how to replace the foam in my max fix2 and the twe came up in conversation as husband wanted to buy a 3rd one!!! They told me to get a HBB for my son in January due to his size. They even had a few advansafix 2 in stock but don't show them on website only the latest version. Harness position was no use for my son.

It wasn't belfast I was on to as they were moving showrooms/warehouses so their phone number was acting up, it was one in mainland uk.
    I bought mine twe from Finland in April and it is old stock....you can check the diagrams under the pillow headrest it tells you each direction and weights etc.

Mike the other seat I forgot about is the radian5 but I am not mad about it tbh. It is as tall as twe but harness is positioned differently so won't last as long! Very complicated thing all together!

The minikid is a fab seat, though it takes up a good bit of space from the passenger seat in the front! I like that it doesn't have to brace the seat in front of it, if you have to have it behind the drivers seat. The radian and twe both have to brace the front seat.

I like that it doesn't have to brace the seat in front of it, if you have to have it behind the drivers seat. The radian and twe both have to brace the front seat.
    I Totally agree! And the harness is nicer than TWE! If you defo wanted rearward only I would go for minikid. Tony kealy now selling them, so you can check them out there ;)

As much as the harness used to do my head in I am happy though that TWE can go forward as I just couldn't get my son out of car when pregnant and he is so so heavy!! The HBBs they recommended are the price of ERF seats!! So would of had to buy twice if that makes sense!

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    thanks for the replies.

I double-checked and he weighs 13.6kg, so he is comfortably below the limit of the 2-way Pearl for now.
    I doubt he will hit the weight limit before the age of 5/6.
    But he is close to the height limit and his head sticks out the top of the seat.

I will check out the Axkid Minikid. It might suit.

Are there any Isofix units that go to 18/25kg rear facing with a tall back??
    The Britax Max-Fix 2 might be a good option - what is the height limit on it??

I have a Britax TWE in our 2nd car. It's a good seat, but installation/removal is a bit involved with the tethers.
    Also, it is installed behind the passenger seat, which is fine,
    but it limits how far back the front passenger can put the seat - not ideal for tall people.
    We could not put a second TWE behind the driver, as the driver seat needs to be adjustable.

Does the Axkid Minikid need to rest on the seat in front of it?
    How about the Diono Radian 5 and Britax Max-Way??

MtM

Hi all,
    thanks for the replies.

I double-checked and he weighs 13.6kg, so he is comfortably below the limit of the 2-way Pearl for now.
    I doubt he will hit the weight limit before the age of 5/6.
    But he is close to the height limit and his head sticks out the top of the seat.

I will check out the Axkid Minikid. It might suit.

Are there any Isofix units that go to 18/25kg rear facing with a tall back??
    The Britax Max-Fix 2 might be a good option - what is the height limit on it??

I have a Britax TWE in our 2nd car. It's a good seat, but installation/removal is a bit involved with the tethers.
    Also, it is installed behind the passenger seat, which is fine,
    but it limits how far back the front passenger can put the seat - not ideal for tall people.
    We could not put a second TWE behind the driver, as the driver seat needs to be adjustable.

Does the Axkid Minikid need to rest on the seat in front of it?
    How about the Diono Radian 5 and Britax Max-Way??

MtM

No maxway or minikid don't lean against front seat as they have a leg! As does max fix 2. Max fix2 is the max way but isofix! Fab seat....fab shell....both passed the Swedish plus test. They take up less space than twe. I would say maxway may take up slightly less space even than max fix2 if my memory serves me correct.
    I will go through my emails and see what the height is on these seats. Tony kealys sells both max way and max fix2. Maxway goes to 25kg and uses tethers max fix2 goes to 18kg and is isofix. (I think it actually goes to something like 19ish kgs really).

Got this comparison from hakan on twe and max way back in 2014:
    "TWE will last longest of all seats. Usually to age 6-7 or 125-130 cm. MW will last to age 5 or 115-120 cm and need 5-7 less space depth wise. "

The hiway is the old version of maxway hakan sells it. Same seat but headrest and harness don't move together......you need to retread harness. It's probably slightly cheaper in price.

Radian5 has to lean against front seat if rearward. I can only describe it as a transformer.....very complicated to put together in different modes tbh. They come up at very good prices on amazon

Thanks.

I think it's between the Max Way, Max Fix 2 and Minikid.
    I'm looking for the height limit for the Max-Fix2. Is it the same height shell as the Max-Way?

Britax Max-Way: 115-120cm ~age 5
    Britax Max-Fix2: ??
    Axkid Minikid: 120-125cm ~age 5

MtM

Thanks.

I think it's between the Max Way, Max Fix 2 and Minikid.
    I'm looking for the height limit for the Max-Fix2. Is it the same height shell as the Max-Way?

Britax Max-Way: 115-120cm ~age 5
    Britax Max-Fix2: ??
    Axkid Minikid: 120-125cm ~age 5

MtM

Max fix2 is the same seat as max way so same measurements apply! It's just isofix.
    Are you near tony kealys? They sell all 3 seats ;) I had max fix 2 and max way in vw polo and space was fine. Max fix2 is higher up because of isofix base which may make it possibly harder for your guy to climb in compared to max way.

I have never tried minikid in any of our cars but was told it takes up a little more space than TWE

The axkid rekid is the isofix version of the minikid- its isofix to 18kg, then belted, but has the same shell, so will be the longest lasting height wise. Think it's still tethered though, which is a nuisance.
    The klippan triofix recline apparently has the tallest seat shell of the 18kg erfs, or one of the be-safe seats, but it's very pricey, I can't remember which it is- maybe the modular. There's a great Facebook group for erf information!
    What car will it be in? If the seats are sloped, isofix can be a bit of a disaster!

In Limerick, so not really that close to a Tony Kealy's :-(

Cars will be a 2007 5-series or 2007 Volvo S40 - both have Isofix.
    I like the simplicity of Isofix.

The tethers on the Two-Way Elite are a bit of a pain to be honest, but I think he will fit in it RF until he is 5+.

I just don't want a seat that he will outgrow in a few months. Axkid Minikid looking like it may be one option. Must check out the Rekid.

MtM

The tethers on the Two-Way Elite are a bit of a pain to be honest, but I think he will fit in it RF until he is 5+.

I just don't want a seat that he will outgrow in a few months. Axkid Minikid looking like it may be one option. Must check out the Rekid.

MtM

Rekid takes up a bit more space than minikid when installed with isofix, so possibly won't be an option.
    BMW have very sloped seats apparently, which doesnt tend to suit isofix- it makes the recline poor on the car seat. For minikid you can buy an extra wedge to install, which offsets the slope- it depends on the age of the child really.

MtM

I find tethers a pain too but really it was only long term option for us as our son is heavy!! Your guy is the same age but much lighter so I think he would be grand in isofix!

Last October the rekid and kidzone were sold off very cheaply. I don't know are they still in large supply tbh. I think it was because of the new axkid seat that came out. (The one like minikid)

It's called "wolmax". I have very little info on it only that it is very similar to minikid....but cheaper and takes up less space. I have never seen it in the flesh. There will be videos on youtube though comparing them side by side.
    The harness needs to be retreaded like the twe. Amazon have it at the mo for £240 and I have seen it online (babyaisle.eu) for €230-€240ish. On phone so can't post links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hi,

Looking for some recommendations myself. We're in the market for a Group 1 car seat now. Thing is we don't actually have a car but we rent a few times a year. So far we've used a maxi cosi cabriofix which pretty much came for free with the buggy.

I was looking for a rear facing option that was isofix/isize. Assuming most cars we rent are new and it will clip in. Things coming up so far are the nuno rebl plus and the besafe izi combi x4. Is there others I should be looking at?

Also can one travel with these seats like we have done with the Group 0 seat or is it generally handier to have one back in Ireland say for when we travel home.

Thanks,

Woden

Woden wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for some recommendations myself. We're in the market for a Group 1 car seat now. Thing is we don't actually have a car but we rent a few times a year. So far we've used a maxi cosi cabriofix which pretty much came for free with the buggy.

I was looking for a rear facing option that was isofix/isize. Assuming most cars we rent are new and it will clip in. Things coming up so far are the nuno rebl plus and the besafe izi combi x4. Is there others I should be looking at?

Also can one travel with these seats like we have done with the Group 0 seat or is it generally handier to have one back in Ireland say for when we travel home.

Thanks,

Woden

Yeah Woden I travel with mine to Spain every year......ryanair give 2 pieces if equipment free! Isofix ones are heavier than non isofix ones.

• Advertisement

Woden wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,

Woden

If you're travelling with it, you need to bubble wrap it well, so it doesn't get damaged in transit. If you're baby is long/heavy, isofix won't last as long as belted, but it is much easier to install! The concord reverso plus is the isofix seat with the highest weight limit (23kg), might be worth considering- I think it's also a lighter isofix seat!

MtM

I think the Concord Reverso Plus is RF'ing up to 23kg and is ISOFIX also.

If you're travelling with it, you need to bubble wrap it well, so it doesn't get damaged in transit. If you're baby is long/heavy, isofix won't last as long as belted, but it is much easier to install! The concord reverso plus is the isofix seat with the highest weight limit (23kg), might be worth considering- I think it's also a lighter isofix seat!

Should read posts in future before I reply... snap lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Anyone seen this before? was posted on another thread

https://saferide4kids.com/product/ridesafer-travel-vest/

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Hi looking for recommendations for a second seat. My daughter is 15months. We bought the Recaro zero.1 recently which is fitted in my car. Problem is OH car doesn't have isofix so need a second seat for his car. He drops herself off with granny 3 days a week so need something that could be easily moved into grannies car. Ideally rear facing and that won't cost a fortune as the recaro cost a small fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Hi looking for recommendations for a second seat. My daughter is 15months. We bought the Recaro zero.1 recently which is fitted in my car. Problem is OH car doesn't have isofix so need a second seat for his car. He drops herself off with granny 3 days a week so need something that could be easily moved into grannies car. Ideally rear facing and that won't cost a fortune as the recaro cost a small fortune.

Joie stages or joie tilt. The tilt has the advantage in that it's lighter and a little quicker/easier to install but it doesn't have the moveable headrest so will be outgrown earlier. Both rearface to 18kg

We have both and our average 2 years 7 month old toddler has plenty growing room yet.

We got the tilt for under 90 on sale and the Stages for around 140 on sale asfair

Stages is on sale in mothercare at the moment, think it's €150. The two way elite is still on sale at €185 from that Finnish website- it's a 25kg seat rear facing, so will last longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Thanks. What's the difference between the stages and every stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Every Stage works as a booster to 36kg, Stages only to 25kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

So the 11month old is about to outgrow the baby car seat.
    We're looking for rear facing, swivel, isofix that'll do for a god long while.

Thinking joie 360.
    What else should we be looking at?
    Or failing alternatives, what's the best deal people have seen on the 360? We were waiting for an offer in smyths but they seem to have stopped stocking it.

Advertisement