Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I currently have the maxi cosi easy fix base - which has the isofix anchors.

I have a cabrio fix chair that attaches to this.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the maxi cosi easy fix base and the family fix base ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Blueskye wrote: »
    It's not recommended to use both belt and isofix at the same time, just one or the other.

Don't think it's an issue as some isofix seats also use the cars seatbelt as the kid restraint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭g0g

I currently have the maxi cosi easy fix base - which has the isofix anchors.

I have a cabrio fix chair that attaches to this.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the maxi cosi easy fix base and the family fix base ?
    I was just researching the same question over the past week. Family fix base is a different style that can also accommodate the next size up of Maxi Cosi seat (group 1 I think) once you move to that. So they say they're saving you buying a new base when you need a bigger chair. Personally I'd prefer just buy a group 1-2-3 seat (once finished with Group 0) and fit it correctly with seatbelts so I just ordered the easy fix. There's also one called easy base 2 and the difference between this and easy fix is that one gets tied with seatbelt and the other uses the isofix points. All three types have an anchor bar for floor of car. Also, I don't think their newer Pebble chair will fit on all of those bases. Hope this helps (and that it's right!!!). The Maxi Cosi site is actually good for comparing options on their seats and their bases.

g0g wrote: »
    I was just researching the same question over the past week. Family fix base is a different style that can also accommodate the next size up of Maxi Cosi seat (group 1 I think) once you move to that. So they say they're saving you buying a new base when you need a bigger chair. Personally I'd prefer just buy a group 1-2-3 seat (once finished with Group 0) and fit it correctly with seatbelts so I just ordered the easy fix. There's also one called easy base 2 and the difference between this and easy fix is that one gets tied with seatbelt and the other uses the isofix points. All three types have an anchor bar for floor of car. Also, I don't think their newer Pebble chair will fit on all of those bases. Hope this helps (and that it's right!!!). The Maxi Cosi site is actually good for comparing options on their seats and their bases.

Thanks for that.

Its all very complicated :) And a msssive money racket .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Folks, I am looking to buy bases for the maxi cosi cabriofix. As we have two babies AND two cars, we were hoping to pick up a couple of bases second hand. I have found one locally on adverts and had my offer accepted. When I go to inspect it before buying what should I be looking out for? Any things which I need to look for that would mean the base doesn't work/isn't safe? I am just a bit nervous, but we can't afford to spend over €400 on car seat bases (even if it would give me peace of mind :rolleyes:)

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered - its a loooong thread!

• Advertisement

Folks, I am looking to buy bases for the maxi cosi cabriofix. As we have two babies AND two cars, we were hoping to pick up a couple of bases second hand. I have found one locally on adverts and had my offer accepted. When I go to inspect it before buying what should I be looking out for? Any things which I need to look for that would mean the base doesn't work/isn't safe? I am just a bit nervous, but we can't afford to spend over €400 on car seat bases (even if it would give me peace of mind :rolleyes:)

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered - its a loooong thread!

The best thing to do is bring your own car seat with you. Test the base your buying, make sure it makes all the clicks it's supposed to when installed, lights go green when you insert base and baby chair etc.

After installing the base, give it a good shake to make sure its sturdy. Do the same after inserting the baby chair, shake it to make sure nothing lose. And make sure the lights are green. I bought one 2nd hand yesterday and spent about 20 minutes installing, testing, re testing etc.

If a seller is genuine, they will have no problem with you testing all this.

Thanks for the advice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Our wee man turns 1 next Friday so I guess it's time we starting looking at car seats. We have the maxi cosi cabriofix but will prob not get much more out of it. What's the best 123 seats out there? Also is there any good sales on at the moment for car seats?
    Are 123 seats the best? Or will they get bored of the seat by age 6 or 7. Just figured 123 might be best as then we don't have to buy more seats.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My baby just gone 1 and his head is at the top of the maxi cosi so need to move him soon.
    He will go in to a besafe izi x3 and the tiny just 3 year old will go in to a kiddy guardian fix pro.
    The guardian fix is a really good seat ,with excellent safety ratings and the kids love it due to the lack of straps.

At 6 or 7 he will probably be in a booster seat.

At €425 and €330, I think both those seats are out of my budget. Surely, there's ones out there at half that price with very good safety ratings?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I used Which? to find the Kiddy one.
    The 9 months - 12 year category is the hardest to find good seats in unfortunately.
    We have a Britax evolva 123 as well but I am not really a fan,it is incredibly hard to install properly in some cars.
    I have friends that like the 123 evolva plus though.
    http://www.kiddicare.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay10A_6315_11302_71721_-1__70709_70709_10151_70709 have a good selection listed and I ave heard good thing about their own brand seats.

Yeh, was looking at the Evolva 123. I wonder why is it so hard to install?
    I suppose it's case of personal preference. I'll visit a few shops over the next week and see what suits us best.

I can get it in to the Ford Galaxy securely,I can not get it in to my mothers Santa Fe securely at all but in my car I install it and then move the seat forward to tighten it.

http://www.toys.ie/Group-123-!WSCAT322-subcat.aspx the Evolva is reduced in Smyths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I think the problem is in some cars the seatbelt isn't long enough for the Evolva. That's what happened when we tried to get one for my mother in laws car (she minds our toddler during the week). I had gone to Halfords and they tried to fit it but couldn't so recommended another one. It's definitely worth a trip to somewhere like there or Tony Kealys and just see what will fit properly and safely before you decide.

The seatbelt is long enough I just can not get it to tighten in properly,even if I sit in the seat to push it back and tighten it I can still push the seat sideways.
    If it is not an isofix seat I would also recommend getting it fitted.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_851919_langId_-1_categoryId_212579 seems like a pretty decent offer.
    It gets good reviews and that is the cheapest that I have found the elite version anywhere.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_851919_langId_-1_categoryId_212579 seems like a pretty decent offer.
    It gets good reviews and that is the cheapest that I have found the elite version anywhere.
    That looks pretty decent. Gonna pop in to halfords on Saturday and check it out. Anyone have any experience of this car seat? Would it be better than the Britax evolva?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭houseplant

Hey guys, just about to look for the next car seat for the little one. We were looking at the maxi cosi axiss and I'm wondering of those that have it, would you recommend it? How is the safety with it not being isofix? Is it easy to fit? And is it worth the money??

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

My sister in law has a bad back and that was the one recommended for her and her little one, they love it, although they have a big enough car, octivia and you'd only fit 2 car seats in the back and no third passenger

I'm also looking for help, Im moving my son into a bigger seat in the next 8 weeks I'm only going to put him in a rear facing seat...

I'm looking for 2 cheap group1 rear facing seats for grannys car and daddys car, as mammy is already paying stupid 500 euro on the one for my car (it's the one we use most)

Any help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cowlick

houseplant wrote: »
    Hey guys, just about to look for the next car seat for the little one. We were looking at the maxi cosi axiss and I'm wondering of those that have it, would you recommend it? How is the safety with it not being isofix? Is it easy to fit? And is it worth the money??

Sorry for the late reply, I have this car seat and find it excellent, it has a good recline too and is easy to install and is secured to the seat really tightly, I would have every faith in it compared to an isofix. Its brilliant on my back the way it swivels and now that my toddler has reached a stage where I have to battle with him to get him into the seat it's even better that the seat faces out towards me when securing him into his seat. Hth

My sister in law has a bad back and that was the one recommended for her and her little one, they love it, although they have a big enough car, octivia and you'd only fit 2 car seats in the back and no third passenger

I'm also looking for help, Im moving my son into a bigger seat in the next 8 weeks I'm only going to put him in a rear facing seat...

I'm looking for 2 cheap group1 rear facing seats for grannys car and daddys car, as mammy is already paying stupid 500 euro on the one for my car (it's the one we use most)

Any help?

500 is a bit crazy , which one are you getting ?
    Britax do one that is pretty cheap but non isofix .

I'm getting the cybex sirona for my car, i do a good bit of driving, my parents live over an hour away his are 40 minutes, and when we holiday in europe we drive so we want that considering the use.

i agree its totally crazy but for the autobahn ill take it :P I'll keep researing britax, that's okay daddys car doesnt have iso fix anyway.

Smyths have 20% off car seats inc already reduced ones. I am thinking of maybe buying now and keeping for later (my girls are only 3 months) but I was watching watchdog the other day and they said that over the next 12 months Europe will be introducing new safety standards on car seats and many of the seats currently compliant wont pass the new regulations. In particular booster seats and seats without a wrap around head rest due to the safety issue if a car is hit side on. I am wondering if that is part of the reason for the reductions??? Dunno whether to buy now or wait!!??

My public health nurse was telling me that the RSA are considering making rear facing child seats mandatory to 24 months, and in Europe they make it mandatory for rear facing up to 18kg so maybe thats it?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My public health nurse was telling me that the RSA are considering making rear facing child seats mandatory to 24 months, and in Europe they make it mandatory for rear facing up to 18kg so maybe thats it?

It's not mandatory up to 18 months in Spain. They recommend up to 24 months, but it's not law.

Yeah I think extending rear facing is part of it. I think I might just abandon the idea of a 1-2-3 and buy a separate, cheap but safe one for each stage.

Yeah I think extending rear facing is part of it. I think I might just abandon the idea of a 1-2-3 and buy a separate, cheap but safe one for each stage.

I had mine rear facing until 3 and only moved them as the seat was needed for the next one:)
    The besafe izi is brilliant.
    kiddy do some very good forward facing seats for bigger kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Apologies in advance if this question has ready been asked! There are great sales on at the mo so I am looking to get one (or even two if they are a good price!) car seats the second size up from newborn baby but I want isofix any recommendations? Babs is only 9 weeks and we besafe izi go so don't need it for ages!

Advertisement