Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Father sprayed in the eyes, hit with baton and arrested over faulty Tesco TV protest

• 14-09-2012 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

When you see the state and multinational corporations working hand in hand in this type of manner it is a sure sign of fascism. Would this have happened at a local independent TV store?

A father-of-two has been arrested for holding a peaceful protest inside a supermarket over a faulty television. Police forcibly removed Eric Rawlinson from the Tesco Extra store by using a pava incapacitant spray on his eyes and striking him with a baton on both his arms.

The unemployed former design manager was staging a sit-in at the Swindon supermarket because managers told him they would not exchange his 10-month-old TV set that had a faulty on-off switch. Mr Rawlinson, from Abbey Meads, spent four hours protesting for his consumer rights at the store in Ocotal Way, Swindon.

When police arrived the 41-year-old was sat on a swing chair in the corner of the electrical goods area. He told the officers that he would not move so they squirted his eyes with the noxious spray - more potent than CS gas - and then hit him with the baton on both arms to release his grip from the chair.

Staff and customers watched as he was handcuffed face down on the floor. Then two other police vans and two squad cars arrived.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/father-sprayed-in-the-eyes-hit-with-baton-and-arrested-over-faulty-tesco-tv-protest-8130750.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

When you see the state and multinational corporations working hand in hand in this type of manner it is a sure sign of fascism.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Gotta love the aul' overkill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nothing to see here.

He brought it back, Tesco wanted to send it away for repair, as is their right, but he refused and instead decided to stage a disruptive protest on private property.

When police arrived to remove him, he resisted, was arrested, then resisted arrest and was appropriately detained.

Just another crank banging on about "the little people" while ignoring the actual facts of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The police a c*nts. However the guy was on Tesco property and refused to move. That's kind've pushing it I think. However I do belive the police used unnessesary force.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What seems to have been left out in your post RTDH was that he became agressive towards staff. Tesco also offered a repair and under consumer law, that is what they were entitled to do. It seems this guy wanted a new tv and was making sure he got one. If he wasnt willing to follow his own quoted "consumer law" then why should the staff do anything for him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

When you see the state and multinational corporations working hand in hand in this type of manner it is a sure sign of fascism.

Yup, no doubt he's now been sent for re-education in a Tesco work camp in the Outer Hebrides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What is going in inside Run_to_da_hills head when he reads stuff?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

mike65 wrote: »
    What is going in inside Run_to_da_hills head when he reads stuff?

Imagine Bjork in a small hamster ball. Thats what I reckon happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That Tesco looks suspiciously like a UFO.. and the clock like an all seeing eye =p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

antodeco wrote: »
    Imagine Bjork in a small hamster ball.

Anyone else turned on by this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Imagine Bjork in a small hamster ball. Thats what I reckon happens

:D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If I sell an electronic item to someone and they come back to me 10 months later with a hardware fault, I can't give them a replacement out of my stock, it's the manufacturer who they have the 1 year warranty with.

Tesco were being helpful with his situation by offering to send it away and give him a replacement on loan but instead he kicked up scene of drama-queen proportions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What seems to have been left out in your post RTDH was that he became agressive towards staff. Tesco also offered a repair and under consumer law, that is what they were entitled to do. It seems this guy wanted a new tv and was making sure he got one. If he wasnt willing to follow his own quoted "consumer law" then why should the staff do anything for him?
    Good example of police brutality He wasn't participating in a riot, he was at a sit down protest his local supermarket FFS

No doubt the CCTV footage of this will never get beyond the walls of Tesco or the local Police department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

I strongly doubt he was talking calmly to the police when he got sprayed & arrested. Think the gutter press may have skipped over a couple of things here.

Maybe it was overkill, can't know without being there, but I really wish people would learn the law/rules on consumer rights, it was save so much hassle for everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

good to know anyhow op
    i was thinking of buying one
    I'd hate for that to happen to me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Maybe it was overkill, can't know without being there, but I really wish people would learn the law/rules on consumer rights, it was save so much hassle for everybody.

1. Repair.
    2. Replace.
    3. Refund.

...Is usually the way it works.
    All must be done within a reasonable amount of time - if not, off to court one should try and go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

When you see the state and multinational corporations working hand in hand in this type of manner it is a sure sign of fascism. Would this have happened at a local independent TV store?

I don't think so. At a local independent TV store, if he was making such a disgrace of himself and refusing all reasonable steps to remedy the situation, the owner would have most likely just dragged him outside himself to avoid wasting police time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

The important thing here is that he is a father. A father-of-two no less.
    Puts the whole situation in a different light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Anyone else turned on by this?
    I'm kinda scared at that thought ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Einhard wrote: »
    Yup, no doubt he's now been sent for re-education in a Tesco work camp in the Outer Hebrides.

These people are generally "re-constituted" and end up as BOGOF cheap ham.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    These people are generally "re-constituted" and end up as BOGOF cheap ham.

Even wonder what Tesco Value Burgers are made of.....

What make of TV was it?

Biggins wrote: »
    1. Repair.
    2. Replace.
    3. Refund.

...Is usually the way it works.
    All must be done within a reasonable amount of time - if not, off to court one should try and go.

Yeah it's up to the merchant but people seem to think they get the choice of the three and go straight to demanding a replacement or refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

I've them comin round at 5 with a delivery
    I'll mace the Cnut

What make of TV was it?

prob tesco own brand sh#t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

M cebee wrote: »
    prob tesco own brand sh#t

Despite them not making a TV.

And Tesco own-brand cookies are beautiful. And they're 40c!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The important thing here is that he is a father. A father-of-two no less.
    Puts the whole situation in a different light.

Men without offspring are just a lower class than a father, there would be no sensational headline saying 'single man sprayed in the eyes...".;) Adding family circumstances sells papers :)

I'll mace the Cnut

give him a few skelps of a stick
    cnuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Despite them not making a TV.

Technika is a tesco own brand. I have Technika tv and it was bloody great value :)

gurramok wrote: »
    Men without offspring are just a lower class than a father, there would be no sensational headline saying 'single man sprayed in the eyes...".;) Adding family circumstances sells papers :)

His kids probably broke the TV in the first place.

One of my nephews is famous for putting a sandwich in a VCR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

every little helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

seamus wrote: »
    Nothing to see here.

While I generally agree with the rest your post, there really isn't a need for such declarations. After all, we can decide for ourselves on the relevance of such topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Good example of police brutality He wasn't participating in a riot, he was at a sit down protest his local supermarket FFS

No doubt the CCTV footage of this will never get beyond the walls of Tesco or the local Police department.

Hardly brutality, compare this to actual police brutality. He started to act aggressively to staff. It was a weighted reaction from the police on the grounds that he was causing an unnecessary disturbance and was likely to become violent. Stop trying to use every event that happens from day to day as evidence of an Illuminati conspiracy.....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I've never heard of him. He's not that famous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

If he had done a quick google on his consumer rights he would have saved himself all the hassle, but being uneducated as he was, he messed up bad and should feel like a right dummy. They offered a repair but he refused so he brought this on himself. Even a dope like me knows consumer rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

My missus is always putting f*cking Chocolat in the DVD player

I'll mace the Cnut

Edit ::
    Sorry I was a bit harsh there
    I'll grab the 24 pack of miller off him
    And then mace him .
    24€ great deal

Ciaran_B wrote: »

Or a "VCR " ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I tried that trick,, this hard drive recorder is broke, can I have my money back. When really there is nothing wrong with the product except I bought it by mistake and it didn't meet my expectations, so can I have my money back

They offered to send it back to be repaired, so I left the shop knowing I was beaten.

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    My missus is always putting f*cking Chocolat in the DVD player

Man, I really hope that's a euphamism because it sounds sexy.

Your nephew likes a bit of Bollywood eh? class.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_(2011_film)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fu ck him, he deserved it.

Ciaran_B wrote: »

If I've heard of him, that's fame enough for some people.:P

Your nephew likes a bit of Bollywood eh? class.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_(2011_film)

No, that one was done about 15 years too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Why couldn't Tesco security / bouncers remove this man from their premises themselves? Nightclubs seem to manage to evict rowdy customers, most large companies have security staff to deal with problems on their property.

And why should police, who really should be dealing with serious local crime be acting as taxpayer funded enforcers for multinational corporations? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

A workmate of mine was once queuing in tesco here in cork at customer service to buy cigarettes. in front was a father with his young daughter who was ranting over trying to return something, acting like a child, completely OTT and looking for the sun moon and stars. the checkout girl finally caved and went to sort it out.

while she's gone the father says to the daughter "I hope you're paying attention, this is how you get your way in a shop"

my workmate leaned down to her and said "it also works at home" gave her a wink, and walked off..... the father shut up fairly quickly.

beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Colmustard wrote: »
    I tried that trick,, this hard drive recorder is broke, can I have my money back. When really there is nothing wrong with the product except I bought it by mistake and it didn't meet my expectations, so can I have my money back

They offered to send it back to be repaired, so I left the shop knowing I was beaten.

I thought it was 7 day's you have to inspect your purchase and if you are not happy with it you can get a full refund within this 7 day period ?. maybe that was before as i haven't looked it up lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Tesco own brand CS spray is much cheaper and just as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Owryan wrote: »
    Gotta love the aul' overkill

By the police or the OP?

• Advertisement
Advertisement