Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Father sprayed in the eyes, hit with baton and arrested over faulty Tesco TV protest

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Riddle101 wrote: »
    The police a c*nts. However the guy was on Tesco property and refused to move. That's kind've pushing it I think. However I do belive the police used unnessesary force.
    Soo, not too familiar with the British Police then. The pecking order is Ireland, England, U.S.A. In ascending order of how happy the Cops are to give you a good chuffing at the drop of a hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

zenno wrote: »
    I thought it was 7 day's you have to inspect your purchase and if you are not happy with it you can get a full refund within this 7 day period ?. maybe that was before as i haven't looked it up lately.

it's actually 14 days I think:

The period under which consumers can withdraw from a sales contract is extended to 14 calendar days (compared to the seven days legally prescribed by EU law today). This means that consumers can return the goods for whatever reason if they change their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Facist??? What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

When police arrived ..........

Replace former design manager with gang of youths, members of the travelling comunity or pissed up louts and the story would read:
    The following day, when police arrived...............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Why all the excitement over something that happened in the UK? I see our AH thread starters have now chosen the The Standard. couk rather than the Daily Wail.couk to kick off pointless and irrelevant threads.
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    If I sell an electronic item to someone and they come back to me 10 months later with a hardware fault, I can't give them a replacement out of my stock, it's the manufacturer who they have the 1 year warranty with....
    Typical nonsense. If you work in retail in Ireland you might want to check the law that applies, The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980. The consumers contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer, and any warranty offered is in addition to a consumers legal rights, not a replacement for them.
    Biggins wrote: »
    1. Repair.
    2. Replace.
    3. Refund.

...Is usually the way it works.
    All must be done within a reasonable amount of time - if not, off to court one should try and go.
    Usually, except that as the matter reported was in the UK, I wouldn't venture to guess as to how consumer laws are framed there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

When you see the state and multinational corporations working hand in hand in this type of manner it is a sure sign of fascism. Would this have happened at a local independent TV store?

A father-of-two has been arrested for holding a peaceful protest inside a supermarket over a faulty television. Police forcibly removed Eric Rawlinson from the Tesco Extra store by using a pava incapacitant spray on his eyes and striking him with a baton on both his arms.

The unemployed former design manager was staging a sit-in at the Swindon supermarket because managers told him they would not exchange his 10-month-old TV set that had a faulty on-off switch. Mr Rawlinson, from Abbey Meads, spent four hours protesting for his consumer rights at the store in Ocotal Way, Swindon.

When police arrived the 41-year-old was sat on a swing chair in the corner of the electrical goods area. He told the officers that he would not move so they squirted his eyes with the noxious spray - more potent than CS gas - and then hit him with the baton on both arms to release his grip from the chair.

Staff and customers watched as he was handcuffed face down on the floor. Then two other police vans and two squad cars arrived.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/father-sprayed-in-the-eyes-hit-with-baton-and-arrested-over-faulty-tesco-tv-protest-8130750.html

Why didn't they just leave him sitting there, even when the store closed, turn out the lights and pull down the shutters.
    Idiot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

What does it matter that he's a father?

Just because I've no kids does it mean that it's not as much of an atrocity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I thought it was 7 day's you have to inspect your purchase and if you are not happy with it you can get a full refund within this 7 day period ?. maybe that was before as i haven't looked it up lately.
    wexie wrote: »

These are both for distance selling, such as internet sales. You have no right to change of mind when you buy in person unless it's stipulated in the terms of the sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Zab wrote: »
    These are both for distance selling, such as internet sales. You have no right to change of mind when you buy in person unless it's stipulated in the terms of the sale.

Well i was definitely wrong so... I always thought you could change your mind about a product once it is returned in it's original packaging before 7/14 days Well I know now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Duggy747 wrote: »
    If I sell an electronic item to someone and they come back to me 10 months later with a hardware fault, I can't give them a replacement out of my stock, it's the manufacturer who they have the 1 year warranty with.

Tesco were being helpful with his situation by offering to send it away and give him a replacement on loan but instead he kicked up scene of drama-queen proportions.
    Wrong. The contract of sale is with the retailer. Not going to get into it here but this gets hashed out every 2-3 months over in consumer issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ncdadam wrote: »
    Why didn't they just leave him sitting there, even when the store closed, turn out the lights and pull down the shutters.
    Idiot!

Tesco had their own security, why didn't two or three of their own lads just frog march him out the door instead of calling the police?

UK cops are currently in a big pre police state ego at the moment, only a few weeks ago a platoon turned up at a bus armed with with riot gear, sub machine guns, bomb squad and chemical warfare equipment because one passenger lit up a legally held electronic cigarette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Tesco had their own security, why didn't two or three of their own lads just frog march him out the door instead of calling the police?

UK cops are currently in a big pre police state ego at the moment, only a few weeks ago a platoon turned up at a bus armed with with riot gear, sub machine guns, bomb squad and chemical warfare equipment because one passenger lit up a legally held electronic cigarette.
    Back in another life, I knew a lad who was a bit of a scally and lived in the UK. He had many an occasion(memorably once out shopping in a Tescos)where the Police happily applied the battering ram to his head for no good reason that he could ascertain - he once walked out of a Tesco in N.London to be greeted by the worlds supply of Met.Pol complete with batons, guns, cuffs etc etc. They took great delight in battering him to the ground and cuffing him despite the fact he was doing nothing more exciting than the weekly shopping and offered no resistance. They might well have had their own reasons, but his verdict was the Uk police are semi-nuts and well inclined to shoot first and ask questions later(or else some payment to them was a bit late). Terminally corrupt, from his own good experience and he means corrupt, from top to bottom. He would not hold them in high regard. He may or may not be me.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Maybe just in case a conspiracy theorist on the interwed would call them totalitarian nazis intent on new world order or somint like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Biggins wrote: »
    1. Repair.
    2. Replace.
    3a. Offer store credit
    3b. Refund.

...Is usually the way it works.
    All must be done within a reasonable amount of time - if not, off to court one should try and go.
    Just a quick edit from my experience (working and shopping). Of course you're not legally obliged to accept the store credit in lieu of a refund if the repair and then replacement aren't up to standard, but people are generally happy to accept if you've dealt with their complaint promptly and politely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

National consumer agency..

If you Change Your Mind...

If you simply change your mind about a product you bought in a shop and decide you don't want to keep it, you do not have any rights under consumer law.
    However, some retailers may offer to accept returns and give you an exchange or refund within a certain amount of time after the purchase. This is shop policy and a gesture of goodwill and not a legal requirement.
    Unwanted gifts

If the item was a gift which you would like to exchange, some shops may exchange it if you have a receipt. In this case, you will need the receipt or a gift receipt from the person who gave it to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

National consumer agency..

If you Change Your Mind...

If you simply change your mind about a product you bought in a shop and decide you don't want to keep it, you do not have any rights under consumer law.
    However, some retailers may offer to accept returns and give you an exchange or refund within a certain amount of time after the purchase. This is shop policy and a gesture of goodwill and not a legal requirement.
    Unwanted gifts

If the item was a gift which you would like to exchange, some shops may exchange it if you have a receipt. In this case, you will need the receipt or a gift receipt from the person who gave it to you.

I'd stress that the product must be unopened and unused for any of the above to take place, sounds obvious i know, but you'd be surprised how "the customer is often wrong" - to play on the popular phrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

When police arrived the 41-year-old was sat on a swing chair in the corner of the electrical goods area. [/url]

This makes the whole article sound like two nosy neighbours gossiping about an event of which they have scant details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Link with details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Colmustard wrote: »
    I tried that trick,, this hard drive recorder is broke, can I have my money back. When really there is nothing wrong with the product except I bought it by mistake and it didn't meet my expectations, so can I have my money back

They offered to send it back to be repaired, so I left the shop knowing I was beaten.

Headline. Man beaten in Shop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

BostonB wrote: »
    Got to love a news site with

"Government warns of 'zombie apocalypse'"

http://www.sott.net/signs/list_by_category/15-Don-t-Panic-Lighten-Up-

That's an actual US DHS poster campaign. :eek:

Is Latest ‘Zombie Cannibal’ Attack A Prophetic Warning To America Or Biological Warfare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

[QUOTE

When police arrived the 41-year-old was SAT on a swing......[/QUOTE]

That fcuking irks me, I am irked by the casual use of misplaced colloquial language in a news report.

Advertisement