Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair nightmare

• 14-09-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

Ive had my hair dyed blonde for the last few years and today I asked the girl to bring me as blonde as she could,now I have yellow blonde roots and the lenghts are the more natural blonde ive had in for ages.

I currently hate hate hate it and I want to get ti back to a darker more natural colour.I'm tempted to box dye it all just a darker blonde to get some sense of normality back to it and i cant afford to go to the hairdressers again for a few weeks.

How bad would it be to dye my hair twice in the one day?I know itll be terrible for it but would it just be all dry or would I be risking it snapping off.

I really wanted to feel good about myself going back to college but right now I just want to hide and never go out again.Its that horrible almost white blonde so when i tie it back it looks even worse and I look sick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

OP, I feel your pain! My hair has just been dyed, I wanted to take the red out and make it a more natural looking brown and instead it's jet black and making me look washed out! My next step is to get some Colour B4 or go to a proper hairdressers and get it done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Wear a hat,its autumn - september is really here ,and there are cold winds ,you could get away with it.Ive seen a few girls wearing hats around the city lately..

Look,the worst thing you could do is dye your hair again over a peroxide blonde,its hair suicide,i did that once,and i was lucky my hair grew back!It came out in huge clumps and i was paritally bald at one stage,not easy for your hair to recover from that,and thats if youre lucky.

You could also develop a bad scalp reaction,painful blisters and balding,i would say leave it for a few weeks and then get back to the hairdresser..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Rather than dying it again and risk damaging it, you might be able to tone down the yellowness with shampoos, etc. This post might be helpful http://missbudgetbeauty.co.uk/?p=5962

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Thankfully it hasnt been bleached,i guess hats will have to be the answer.

A2wOMr4CEAACbXL.jpg:large
    Thats the state of it now,I'm just going to avoid social stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Thankfully it hasnt been bleached,i guess hats will have to be the answer.

Thats the state of it now,I'm just going to avoid social stuff.

Sorry but I think you will fibd that it has been bleached. Ive been getting highlights done professionally in my hair with the past 23 years and I've always been told that lightening hair always involves bleach of some type.
    If i were you i would save up a few bob and get back to the hairdressers when you can. It doesn't look as bad as you seem to think either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Woah.... that's a hairdresser who owes you your money back :(

If it's not been bleached then maybe a box of colour b4 could be your friend? They sell it in Boots and it's supposed to be absolutely great at lifting colour from your hair

http://www.colourb4.com/home

Dont go for colour lifters,it will just wreck your hair compleltey and it could fall out,you could even develop a sensitive scalp from it.It can be tricky doing this,its best to wait and make an appointment with a reputable hairdressers if you can.

Seeing your picture it does look very light,but thankfully you are very fair..

Call me Al wrote: »

Sorry but I think you will fibd that it has been bleached. Ive been getting highlights done professionally in my hair with the past 23 years and I've always been told that lightening hair always involves bleach of some type.
    If i were you i would save up a few bob and get back to the hairdressers when you can. It doesn't look as bad as you seem to think either
    Gah,I thought it was only bleached if it had been peroxide thanks for the advice anyways

Don't think I'll bother trying to lift the colour out I'll just wait and see and get it back darker in a few weeks.

What's the minimum time you should leave between dyes?i used to leave almost three months.

Do you know what products were used on your hair?

• Advertisement

Call me Al wrote: »
    Do you know what products were used on your hair?

Haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dee44

Just one point - alot of the shampoos that are used for dandruff will actually soften a colour in your hair and take out some of the harshness as will baby shampoo - not a drastic step to take but often has good results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Could you go back to the hairdresser and say you're not happy because your hair is so light at the top and then gets darker and that's not what you wanted, asked for or expected?

Novella wrote: »
    Could you go back to the hairdresser and say you're not happy because your hair is so light at the top and then gets darker and that's not what you wanted, asked for or expected?

I kinda liked it when I was in there it didn't seem the same colour but now I'm home and I can't stand it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I think the best thing here is to wait at least a few weeks and style with hats, scarfs, etc. And to be honest, it doesn't look that bad.

I had some weird green tint on my hair which is bleached. (It sometimes happens to blonde hair due to chlorine in pools, etc. Mine was due to the various colours I applied on top of each other over the bleached hair.) I found out that applying tomato puree or ketchup to your hair lifts the green tint due to the acids in them. So, it kind of works as a natural and much gentler colour lifter. It worked wonders for me. But like I said, that was for the green. I'm not sure how it would work on blonde. But you may do some research on it and see if any other people used it for similar situations.

Thanks for the advice,thankfully my freak pit has calmed down.ill use colour lifting shampoos etc to try and ease it up but ah it could be worse I suppose.ita just hair after all do now I'm just putting up with it for a week or two till I sort out the colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I had my hair that colour before, did it myself with bleach and it did damage my hair a bit but i dyed over it with another box dye a dark blonde/light brown and it was fine tbh, a dark blonde box dye wont have that much of a damaging effect, you could try an ammonia free one aswell such as L'oreal Casting creme gloss, its semi pernament or you could go into a salon supply store and get a toner which will take down the yellowness, Terrisales on middle abbey street if your near Dublin are really helpfull. It's easily solveable! My hair was dyed way too dark,nearly black a while ago and i hated it was impossible to lighten or change! Blonde is way easier. Good luck hun!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

God, I feel your pain :(. I got my hair done over the summer and HATED it. I spent the day crying once I got home and saw it in proper light - my boyfriend thought I'd lost my mind. In my case, it was too dark though.

But many hairdressers have told me that Head & Shoulders will strip colour out of your hair very quickly, so try washing your hair in that for a few weeks and it should tone down.

Actually, now that I think about it, I went that blonde when I was about 14 and spent the entire month of August wearing a hat :o.

Some good posts..Ive learned a few things about these posts.. 1 tomatoe sauce lifts green tints in bleached hair from the chlorine in the pool,and 2 head and shoulders is a good colour stripping shampoo..

Ive had some bad hair experiences it was down to my own stupidity really,(i put one colour over another,and another time i had my hair bleached and put another lightening colour over it,turned out my hair nearly all fell out,and it came out in clumps and blistered,i survived it,and my hair grew back,but it was awful,now i cant colour(i can only use natural hair colouring) my hair as i developed a scalp sensitivity..

I know what its like to have hair you dont like,but brave it out,put on a hat and wait it out until you get an appointment with a good hairdresser to treat your hair..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

Ok this can be fixed. From a pro point of view, you asked to be as blonde as poss, you got it. You said its about 3 months since you last had it done, so youve been used to looking at the hair immediately to your face as dark, its a big shock for you.
    Colourb4 wont work here nor will head and shoulders etc. Please dont put a home colour over it, you have no pigment and really run the risk of going a gick shade of green.
    Go back to he hairdressers and tell them your concerns, they have the knowledge and correct products to fix it for you.
    Although I dont know why your dark underneath?????

Oh also your hair CAN be lifted without bleach ¡:-) Peroxide is used in prob 80% of colouring services

HTH

• Advertisement

hydrogen Peroxide, which is used for hair lightening when combined with ammonium hydroxide (I think that is the one but I will double check???) is a bleaching agent just like chlorine. It isn't used as commonly as chlorine but it is a bleach all the same.

Ok so my mother has offered to pay for me to get it fixed in Peter marks on Monday since I won't go out with it like this.I won't be able to afford to keep getting it there afterwards does anyone know if it's easy to switch hairdressers with stuff like this because if it can be awkward I'll just ask to go plain light brown and then thy should be easier to do elsewhere rather than match blondes?

I could be talking crap but hopefully someone can figure out what I'm on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

Ok so my mother has offered to pay for me to get it fixed in Peter marks on Monday since I won't go out with it like this.I won't be able to afford to keep getting it there afterwards does anyone know if it's easy to switch hairdressers with stuff like this because if it can be awkward I'll just ask to go plain light brown and then thy should be easier to do elsewhere rather than match blondes?

I could be talking crap but hopefully someone can figure out what I'm on about.
    It should be no problem to move to a diff hairdresser did you have it done im PM salon? From your pic you have a couple of options one is lowlights through it all prob the colour you have underneath this will break up the block of blonde and tone it down. The second is a darker blonde over all this will leave you with a block of blonde but not as white as you are now. I hope that makes sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Use a purple shampoo. Schwarzkopf-Professional-Bonacure-Silver-Shampoo is a good one. Also Revlon colour bomb in 1002 (its a toner) takes out yellow tones. Just put this on the roots, or where was coloured that undont like! Both can be got in salon services.

But if your goin to Peter marks I'm sure they will be able to fix it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Go back to the hairdresser and ask her to apply a toner on the roots.or go into any salon services and buy silver shampoo(most salons sell them too) this shampoo Will neutralize the brassy tones so leave it on your roots for a few mins,or else try the colour bomb from any salon services and apply it on roots only. A home dye is only going to make it more yellow and more trouble for your hairdresser. Good luck

idunno78 wrote: »
    Use a purple shampoo. Schwarzkopf-Professional-Bonacure-Silver-Shampoo is a good one. Also Revlon colour bomb in 1002 (its a toner) takes out yellow tones. Just put this on the roots, or where was coloured that undont like! Both can be got in salon services.

But if your goin to Peter marks I'm sure they will be able to fix it!

u beat me to it :-) I agree though. The colour bombs are excellent. Word of advice OP, it has to be watched though, leave it on too long and it can go violet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

If I was you I would go back and get it fixed by the hairdresser who coloured it. A friend of mine was in an identical situation to yours a few months back and like yours, her hair was too yellow/brassy at the roots. The hairdresser was able to tone it down free of charge. And my friend had also left the salon thinking it was okay. I swear those salon lights make everything look better! You should go back asap and don't leave it long. Just tell her it is far too bright at the roots and you cannot afford to fix it, it is her job to do it right anyway seen as you paid good money for it. Best of luck, I'm sure it will be back to how you want it soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Woah.... that's a hairdresser who owes you your money back :(

If it's not been bleached then maybe a box of colour b4 could be your friend? They sell it in Boots and it's supposed to be absolutely great at lifting colour from your hair

http://www.colourb4.com/home

Sorry, but if you don't know anything about a product then you shouldn't be recommending it. The OP has bleached hair and you are recommending a pigment remover?! All the pigment in her hair has already been bleached out!
    You may as well be telling her to put white paint on a white wall to make it darker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I had some weird green tint on my hair which is bleached. (It sometimes happens to blonde hair due to chlorine in pools, etc. Mine was due to the various colours I applied on top of each other over the bleached hair.) I found out that applying tomato puree or ketchup to your hair lifts the green tint due to the acids in them.

It has nothing to do with acid. The red pigment in the tomato cancels out the green in your hair, it doesn't lift anything.

• Advertisement

OP dont be afraid to ring your salon.its not unusual for clients to call back a few days later. It is done fairly badly. Too yellow for a salon job, and doesn't match the ends. I wouldn't spend anymore money on it when the same salon can fix it with no charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Go back to where you got it done before paying out more money, they shouldn't have let you leave like that! They should be able to put a toner in to fix it :)

I would go back to the original
    Salon but they dont open on Monday's and I'm back to college on Tuesday and I work the evenings so I wouldn't be able to get it done there for a long while.

Getting it sorts tomorrow I'll see what the hairdresser says and hopefully I'll be back to normal.

Peter Marks sorted it out!deligted with my hair back to a normal blonde,they put lowlights in it in two different colours then a tint over it all and it's great.So happy and relieved.

Yay.:)

Delighted it has been sorted to your satisfaction!

Advertisement