Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There, Their and They're - why does this seem to be more an Irish thing?

• 14-09-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I was just reading an article on entertainment.ie in which they mixed up "there" and "their". Not a big deal, I'm not a grammar nazi or anything, but it got me thinking: This particular mix-up is very common in Ireland. I don't tend to see it on other forums for example, but you get it a lot around here. Which got me thinking: Why is this such an Irish thing? Does it have its roots in the Irish language perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

People are stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Theirs no way there going to like that they're.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I avoid it by using der
    Der sitting der on der wholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Quite and quiet is another mistake I notice quiet a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

This is very common and annoying but no way is it an Irish thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

been and being is the one that seems most prevalent in ireland to me, rarely seen it anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

should have and should of - another example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

It's common on every English language forum.

Also common are those who moan about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Your always going to find people that have spelling that annoys you're inner grammar Nazi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I was just reading an article on entertainment.ie in which they mixed up "there" and "their". Not a big deal, I'm not a grammar nazi or anything, but it got me thinking: This particular mix-up is very common in Ireland. I don't tend to see it on other forums for example, but you get it a lot around here. Which got me thinking: Why is this such an Irish thing? Does it have its roots in the Irish language perhaps?

It is also very common in Britain, especially on http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html These so called "journalists" even manage to get "lose" and "loose" mixed up which reallllly bugs me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's not an Irish thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

<queue posters checking OP for grammar and spelling mistakes>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

irish-stew wrote: »
    <queue posters checking OP for grammar and spelling mistakes>

fcuk it, he's clean :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

could be reading the most intelligent posts ever, but once I see the their/there mistake, all the credibility of the post goes out the window.

Same goes for I would OF/ I would HAVE

and in conversation anyone who calls the word SIXTH, as SICTH - I walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

As an Irish living abroad gotta say DEFO not just an Irish thing..oh my days the things I've seen and heard over here.

your and you're are also common...

anytime i see it i have to bite my tongue fingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Any key? wrote: »
    As an Irish living abroad gotta say DEFO not just an Irish thing..oh my days the things I've seen and heard over here.

As an Irish what?

As an Irish what?

grammar nazi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are and our seem to be quite popular these days.

It doesn't matter to me when people confuse the two, but when a professional firm does it, it doesn't make them sound too professional. There's one in the Prison Forum trying to wriggle out of a ban.
    Are aim with Boards.ie is to share our knowledge and experience.
    :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Maybe in does. Or rather, maybe the amount of time wasted in our schools flogging that dead horse means there's not enough time to teach children the grammar of their native tongue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Possibly because you interact more with Irish media, Irish people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Well seen as were been Nazical on grammar, it has to be said that are grasp of english as a hole is a loosing battle. Their maybe some hope in the future do.

The first time I saw 'do' at the end of a sentence like that it took me a long time to realise that it was the phonetical spelling of 'though'. -.^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

should have and should of - another example

That's an American one, and one of the very few grammar mess ups that actually p*sses me off, simply because reading it should make it extremely obvious that it makes no sense.

Very much like "I could care less", I mean it doesn't make sense on any level at all. Some Americans say "Like I could care less" or "As if I could care less" which is probably where that comes from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

'I seen' and 'I done' are what really annoy me.

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Possibly because you interact more with Irish media, Irish people?

Thing is I don't, I spend a huge amount of time reading international news websites, blogs etc and I genuinely do notice this far more in Irish ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

'I seen' and 'I done' are what really annoy me.

I want to slap people when they talk like that. Or "I do be doing"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I wouldn't loose sleep over it, OP.

smash wrote: »

I does be hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Them their people should of learned better in school. Maybe they should go back they're to learn more better english.

Their a pack of eejits and could of learned more better if they'd payed attenshun in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Drives me speir when people make this mistake ;)

davet82 wrote: »
    fcuk it, he's clean :(

Eh, no he wasn't.
    I'm just hoping it was deliberate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

smash wrote: »
    It comes from the Irish language tbf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English#Reduplication

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Not being smart but how do you know it's more of an Irish thing, because you spend most of your time in Ireland and notice it. It could be worse in other countries that you're not aware of.

Not being smart but how do you know it's more of an Irish thing, because you spend most of your time in Ireland and notice it. It could be worse in other countries that you're not aware of.

I'm talking about the internet. It seems much more prevalent on Irish forums and blogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I'm talking about the internet. It seems much more prevalent on Irish forums and blogs.

eh? sure the people on Irish forums could be from anywhere in the world :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Rte are at it too , see the final paragraph

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0914/robbiewilliams.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

could be reading the most intelligent posts ever, but once I see the their/there mistake, all the credibility of the post goes out the window.

Same goes for I would OF/ I would HAVE

and in conversation anyone who calls the word SIXTH, as SICTH - I walk away.

How do you feel about people that don't capitalise sentences properly? Or use full-stops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

How do you feel about people that don't capitalise sentences properly? Or use full-stops?
    i dont reely mind too much. Sure anywon can maek a misteak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Pottler wrote: »
    i dont reely mind too two much. Sure anywon can maek a misteak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm not a grammar nazi or anything

Of course you're not and how could you even suggest that? It's not as if you started a grammar related thread, obsessing over an issue which for most people is really not that important. Oh wait.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Of course you're not and how could you even suggest that? It's not as if you started a grammar related thread, obsessing over an issue, which for most people is really not that important. Oh wait.....

You left out the comma before which. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

I find people's punctuation and grammar just deteriorate with fatigue and distraction. If I post online when I'm exhausted it goes to hell, regardless of caffeine and careful re-reading.

In this way an erratic sleeping pattern has actually made me more sympathetic to poor spelling and less of a prick about writing responses to bemoan poor spelling. Every cloud has a silver lining and all that, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Posting on Boards is one thing, I don't hugely read anything into spelling or punctuation(ok, I do, wrong = a bit thick really) beyond a small mental tut, but it's in work situations I somtimes wonder. I do a lot of sign writing and proofing signs etc. Some of the crap that gets committed to Vinyl for the world to see is just laughable. And these folk are getting paid to spell stuff correctly. I also wonder when I get an email from some high up manager and the spelling is like a kid wrote it. I begin to wonder what else they're crap at.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

thread title instantly reminded me of this....thanks op!

There their...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You left out the comma before which. :p

Wrong I'm afraid, a coma had already provided an appropriate earlier pause to the sentence in question. Adding another would have further broken up the flow of my sentence unnecessarily and thus I decided against using it. My choice and certainly not mandatory. Btw, I could have also included another coma in this post, but decided against it. Damn Nazi's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Wrong I'm afraid, a coma had already provided an appropriate earlier pause to the sentence in question. Adding another would have further broken up the flow of my sentence unnecessarily and thus I decided against using it. My choice and certainly not mandatory. Btw, I could have also included another coma in this post, but decided against it. Damn Nazi's.

A comma is not used to demonstrate pause in a sentence, in this case it is used to define what was in the previous part of the sentence:

"It's not as if you started a grammar related thread, obsessing over an issue, which for most people is really not that important."

i.e. you need a comma here because:
    "which for most people is really not that important",
    is defined by what came immediately beforehand:
    "obsessing over an issue"

Otherwise the sentence doesn't make sense. It's perfectly acceptable to have multiple commas in a sentence if it's the correct thing to do grammatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Your wrong their. There not thinks that only the Irish mix up, the english do it to. Their nearly as bad if not worse then us, there four ever mixing the too up. Those tree words will always bee mixed up but so long as people no what the other person wants too say, who cares witch won off them they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Why is this such an Irish thing? Does it have its roots in the Irish language perhaps?

I know plenty of Americans and Brits and Aussies who get it wrong all the time also. Not just an Irish thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

The irony of all these intentionally misspelled posts is starting to get a bit old.

Yes, I hate everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement