Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coromandel. and waiheke island auckland

• 14-09-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

hey all arriving nov 17th into auckland and have a few places to go to first
    has anyone been to waiheke island is there much jobs there?
    any good secret spots in coromandel have to use the hot water beach :P
    alos visiting family in hamilton anyone know what its like for work there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

You'd get seasonal work on Waiheke but most people who live there full time commute to Auckland. Its lovely there but the shops are very expensive you'd be best stocking up before you get on the ferry.

The area up around Coromandel Township is fabulous- tonnes of tiny secluded beaches- it's Peter Pan country around there. The Driving Creek Railroad is amazing- its a little train that runs through the bush up the mountain past all these funky sculptures and comes out at a yurt with the most fabulous view. There's also a really nice cafe there that takes wwoofers.

Not sure what the work situation is in Hamilton but I do know that the recession has reached NZ and the streets are not paved with gold in the way that some people think. Hamilton would be one of the busier towns but a bit soulless (imho)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

hi thanks for all that ..peter pan country ?:confused:
    yeah il just be looking for normal work nothing fancy just a few dollars to help pay for petrol or busses and some sight seeing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

One of my favorite almost secret campsites in NZ is Opoutere Beach in the Coromandel. Nice camp ground with a lovely walk through some forest onto a perfect white sand beach. Somewhat off the tourist trail so you mostly get kiwis and old timers who know of its charms. I cant wait to go back this summer for a few days :) Had a mental new years there three years ago. http://www.opouterebeach.co.nz/

Hamilton is a typical country town, some industry and commerce so there might be work. Lots of agriculture companies and dairy related stuff. Aucklands only an hour away so plenty of work there too. I cant advise too much I've only driven through it or used its runway a few times (a few good flying schools there and a nice long runway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

jamiecoins wrote: »
    ..peter pan country ?:confused:

like in Peter Pan, or possibly Hook, Neverland...the place where the mermaids and pirates and indians hang out...it looks like that around there- really wild and timeless...enjoy!

Advertisement