Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Gaming PC build

Options
  • 14-09-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

My brother has asked me to post up for him in this forum, he's looking for as good a gaming PC as he can get for his budget.

1. What is your budget? 1000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/Internet] Gaming, almost exclusively. Initially with Guild Wars 2 and probably a few FPS's / MMO's thrown in.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes please

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No, current PC is a dinosaur

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need? Preferably 24in + (basically as good as can be gotten while staying close to budget

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920 x 1080 ideally

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Yes, I need all peripherals but seeing as the keyboards are german layout, may pick up keyboard and mice separately. Could you throw in a cheap, decent set of speakers to the build if possible?

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes, never done it but would give it a shot seeing as how everyone says its easier.

8. How can you pay? Any and all. (Laser / CC / Bank Transfer)

9. When are you purchasing? Immediately

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Dublin, but would probably get the pre-built option if possible

Note: As its a pure gaming build, there's probably no need to add any storage other than a SSD. I might get him to add a separate USB HD drive if required.

Thanks in advance lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Thanks Spix, that looks pretty good.

Couple of things though, I might drop the 256GB SSD to a 128GB one and then increase the processor to a 3570K, is that a worthwhile upgrade?

Is that monitor decent enough? Seems awfully cheap... :)

Also, I need a copy of Windows, am I better off getting it elsewhere though? Seems to be €79 or so on Hardwares

Finally, how do you get the discounts, I haven't followed this forum in a couple of weeks. :(

SK1979 wrote: »
    Thanks Spix, that looks pretty good.

Couple of things though, I might drop the 256GB SSD to a 128GB one and then increase the processor to a 3570K, is that a worthwhile upgrade?

Is that monitor decent enough? Seems awfully cheap... :)

Also, I need a copy of Windows, am I better off getting it elsewhere though? Seems to be €79 or so on Hardwares

Finally, how do you get the discounts, I haven't followed this forum in a couple of weeks. :(

I have a single 128gb ssd and only a couple of games/applications installed and I'm nearly out of space as it is so if your not getting an additional HDD I'd recommend the 256gb.

I'm not really a fan of the 3570k as they have some heat issues and aren't all that faster than the older 2500k but you could go for it if you wanted.

The monitor seems to have good reviews, monitors have gotten pretty cheap recently even for decent ones.. forgot to add windows 7 >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

spix wrote: »
    I have a single 128gb ssd and only a couple of games/applications installed and I'm nearly out of space as it is so if your not getting an additional HDD I'd recommend the 256gb.

I'm not really a fan of the 3570k as they have some heat issues and aren't all that faster than the older 2500k but you could go for it if you wanted.

The monitor seems to have good reviews, monitors have gotten pretty cheap recently even for decent ones.. forgot to add windows 7 >_<

No worries, thanks for the advice. He's eager to pull the trigger and order so I think we'll go with your build. :)

Seems someone snagged the last windforce 7870, back in stock the 18th

About windows 7, the one your looking at is the german version, I think it may be able to be installed as english also though. Their english one is out of stock but you could probably get windows 7 elsewhere.

Once you've decided what you want I can send you the discounted links for the items. There's also these codes:

VME87RV166 for 10 euro off on orders over 500
    new customers can use VHRUH92NV3 to get €5 off €100 euro or more purchases. Or AXF98H4XV8, for €5 off €50 euro or more. Again, new customers only.

• Advertisement
Advertisement