Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does your job involve you travelling?

• 14-09-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering for people who travel for their job such as sales people, do they enjoy the travelling? Anything that annoys you about it?

Might be required to travel back and forth to the UK for my job so interested on peoples feelings/experiences on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I travel both to, and from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

To and from the coffee machine, thats about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Im a traveller but my job involves scrap metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Back and forth to the UK is very common and most wouldnt regard it as travel, not being snooty its just treated as a long commute.

Long haul travel on the other hand is great through your 20's, gets a bit tedious in your early 30's, then the kids arrive in your mid 30's and it gets great again. no coincidence there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Many years ago, I worked for an Irish office of an English company.
    For a few months I was working in their headquarters, flying over on Monday, staying in a hotel and flying back on Friday.

Travelling isn't for everyone.
    You have to put your life on hold for 5 days.

It suits people who want to do it to progress their career / salary, but it gets old very fast unless you've a few mates travelling with you too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

I travel a bit for work. I mostly enjoy it, and its nice to get out of the office and have a change of scenery. Can be exciting at first, but after a while it does get a bit tiring and sometimes it can be a bit lonely.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ush1 wrote: »
    Just wondering for people who travel for their job such as sales people, do they enjoy the travelling? Anything that annoys you about it?

Might be required to travel back and forth to the UK for my job so interested on peoples feelings/experiences on it.

Can be good, money usually decent to do it; get to see different part of the world (in my case Sweden and China) which you normally wouldnt otherwise go near. Definitely worth doing when younger and single.

Its not something id make a habit of though. You do miss the home and all that goes along with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

Going San Fran for work in 3 weeks, I can live with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I work for an NGO so have to travel to various parts of Africa several times a year. It's not always easy and the spiders can be giant but I really do enjoy it. Off to the Democratic Republic of Congo next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

I work for an NGO so have to travel to various parts of Africa several times a year. It's not always easy and the spiders can be giant but I really do enjoy it. Off to the Democratic Republic of Congo next week :)

Same here! Never get used to the bugs. Euch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

DDG? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah I travel with work, sometimes to more exotic long haul destinations.

The enjoyment of travel tends to depend on the following factors:

* Whether you are travelling along or with others
    * if you like flying
    * if you have family
    * where you are going

No matter how fancy your accommodation it makes little difference if you are travelling alone! I'm off to China next week on my own with work but have arrange to do some improv and see some theatre while I am over there in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

DDG? ;)

Snap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

I am a consultant. I travel all the time. I am in a China Roll Out. I fly to Beijing several weeks at a time and them come back to Germany for a few weeks then Beijing a few weeks ...... I think it depends where you are travelling to. If I was travelling to England every few weeks I'd be depressed as ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Work for an offshore oil production company so wherever they want me to go, I go. Angola, Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and Brazil are the most common. None of them exotic in anyway.

Travelling is the best education possible.

Used to travel within Europe - usually spending my time in office parks near interesting cities (note - not in the cities themselves)

One memory was going to dinner in a hotel in one of these parks where 80% - 90% of the tables were men having dinner on their own.

I sometimes took an evening or an extra day when travelling to explore, this wasn't always possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

I travel with work about a dozen times a year. I usually get to see a lot of where I'm going to also due to the nature of my work. A lot of business people go from airport to hotel to office which is where travel can get really tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I travel at a very minimum every 2 weeks for up to 6 days at a time (usually 3 to 4). 60% of the time it's to mainland Europe, 40% of the time to the US.

Been at it for 2 years now. I can pretty much pick my own hotels so it's not too bad. Frequent Flyer miles and Hotel Reward cards are well stocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

I used to travel to England each Monday morning and back every Friday afternoon.

Monday's were exhausting as I tended to stay up late on Sunday and then be up at 3.30 to get the earliest flight from Dublin. Several times I'd get back to the hotel after work, fall onto my bed and wake up hungry sometime in the middle of the night having slept through Monday evening.

If you're staying in a hotel and on expenses you might want to watch your weight. I put on quite a bit with cooked breakfasts and hotel dinners every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

McG wrote: »

If you're staying in a hotel and on expenses you might want to watch your weight. I put on quite a bit with cooked breakfasts and hotel dinners every day.

Yeah, good point, 3 stone on my part already. Trying to correct that but eating out 5 times a week makes it a little difficult :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Used to travel within Europe - usually spending my time in office parks near interesting cities (note - not in the cities themselves)

One memory was going to dinner in a hotel in one of these parks where 80% - 90% of the tables were men having dinner on their own.

I sometimes took an evening or an extra day when travelling to explore, this wasn't always possible.

This ^

Due to distances to and from airports & flight schedules it usually was a two day trip for a two hour meeting. Lots of very early departures / very late arrivals. Biorythm all over the shop, digestion getting sluggish.
    Lonely evenings in sterile hotels far away from anything (but your customer), lots of time spent waiting / travelling but no time to do / see anything nice and meanwhile work piles up back at the office.

Wears very thin, very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I'm looking after a guy in a wheelchair, atke him out to the shops, to the pub. etc. Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I sometimes I have to go to the toilet. Means travelling to the bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

My boss went to Cyprus last week, a colleague went to Malta last week, my other boss is going to Copenhagen in a month, and to Brussels the week after. I'm going to Athlone.

Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Used to do quite a bit of travelling-europe, Asia all over. Managed to attached a two week holiday onto a one week work visit to india. that was handy. have been to Thailand 3 times but never seen any of the tourist spots.

I do think that visiting these place for work gives you a better idea of the people. On tourists trips you get to see the sights and the locals are all friendly because the want you money. On business trips, you get to see them in there daily lives, food, attitudes etc and what they are really like but you miss out on the sights.

Most trips are airports,offices, factories, hotels and taxi's. If you get lucky and get in early and are in a city centre hotel you might get to see something. More likely you'll grab your dinner and then back to the room to check your email and try to miminise the pile of shi3e that is building up for when you get back. did I mention the extra work you have to do in preparation for the trip?

Still miss it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Yeah, quite a bit. Been all over the UK with work, staying in different camps. Next year my unit are sailing for two months with the Royal Navy, we're doing a trip around the med. Afghan is another possiblity, or wherever kicks off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I wouldn't like to travel for work, it's stressful enough travelling for leisure...

Advertisement