Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a 9 hour contract finally, but not too happy with it.

Options
  • 14-09-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

It's a part time Christmas job, and I've been offered a 9 hour contract. I'm currently on the dole, and getting 65 net income a week (100, but 35 goes to my parents). I'm gonna come away with 81.63 a week in this job, which isn't too great. I can't refuse it because 1) I'd be stupid to pass the opportunity up and 2) my payments would be stopped.

I'm delighted that I got the job, but am I being unreasonable by being a bit disappointed? I know I'm one of the lucky ones now but, I did expect more :S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed to get a job, and be paid less than than the dole, but I think you should also consider the non-financial benefits:

Experience
    Self-esteem
    Future earnings (based on extra experience)

It's obviously impossible to quantify these, but should be considered. Maybe ask your parents for a reduction in rent to go along with the reduction in income, if possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Also keep in mind 9h is the minimum hours; you're very likely to get more hours.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Particularly if you're covering christmas. Make sure you let them know you'll do any additional hours that come up, if you circumstances allow.

Best of luck and congrats on getting a job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

As far as I know, if you're only working part-time, you can still claim some of your JSA, for the other hours/days.

Aside from that, the way I'd see it is that how are you ever going to get a job without experience on your CV?! Your motivation is the fact that your future career depends on getting experience, and on getting excellent references (and, who knows, if you do great in this job, they could very well end up taking you on full-time.)

Also - while you should definitely accept this offer - keep an eye out for other jobs with longer contracted hours, just in case! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Bear in mind JSA is there for people that are looking for work - not as an excuse not to go to work because you wont be paid much more.

If you are half way decent and flexile you will get many more hours over Xmas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement