Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Army speed check point!!

• 14-09-2012 5:04pm
    Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Travelling up the M7 yesterday I noticed and army transit parked in one of the Garda speed check point slip roads. Carried on driving only to notice on the way passed two soldiers standing behind the bonnet of the van with speed camera in hand wearing full camo with a RSA high vis. :eek:

Is this the solution the government has provided for the lack of Gardaí on our roads is it not bad enough those feckin private companies with their vans parked in ditches? :mad:

Anyway it just appeared to be an ordinary hand held speed camera so don't think they'd the capability to record speeds perhaps they had a sniper waiting further on up the road :eek: anybody got any ideas as to what it was all about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Run_to_da_hills might like to speculate. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Blast him with piss soldier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

kincsem wrote: »
    Run_to_da_hills might like to speculate. :)

It is not the Army, it is some of the aliens that landed during the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

I'd say it was a speed trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Travelling up the M7 yesterday I noticed and army transit parked in one of the Garda speed check point slip roads. Carried on driving only to notice on the way passed two soldiers standing behind the bonnet of the van with speed camera in hand wearing full camo with a RSA high vis. :eek:

Is this the solution the government has provided for the lack of Gardaí on our roads is it not bad enough those feckin private companies with their vans parked in ditches? :mad:

Anyway it just appeared to be an ordinary hand held speed camera so don't think they'd the capability to record speeds perhaps they had a sniper waiting further on up the road :eek: anybody got any ideas as to what it was all about?

They are monitoring their own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Military police policing their own.

Nothing to worry about, and they have no power over non military personnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Its a new proactive speed control policy, those speed guns are attached to sniper rifles, 10mph over the limit and they have orders to take the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Turner wrote: »

Would have to be a nasty aul soul to do their own.

Not that i encourage speeding.....but still.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Turner wrote: »

Thought it must've been somethin like that looked a bit like amateur hour, so do the Gardaí have no power to enforce the laws when it comes to soldiers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

irish-stew wrote: »
    They are monitoring their own.

AFAIK Military vehicles (government vehicles?) have different speed limits to civilian vehicles, I'm presuming that road is used by military vehicles a lot for transportation? they were probably just out there to monitor the speeds of military traffic/vehicles, were they wearing red berets by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thought it must've been somethin like that looked a bit like amateur hour, so do the Gardaí have no power to enforce the laws when it comes to soldiers?
    Afaik, there are laws which prohibit the Gardai from intercepting or otherwise interfering with the army on active duty (and vice-versa).

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    AFAIK Military vehicles (government vehicles?) have different speed limits to civilian vehicles, I'm presuming that road is used by military vehicles a lot for transportation? they were probably just out there to monitor the speeds of military traffic/vehicles, were they wearing red berets by any chance?

I think they were wearing wine coloured berets. They were having the craic anyway must've been waiting on Private Pile. They were wearing brand spankin RSA high vis vests so Gaybo must be meddling again.

seamus wrote: »
    Afaik, there are laws which prohibit the Gardai from intercepting or otherwise interfering with the army on active duty (and vice-versa).

Shame I'd have loved to have seen them pulling in a Garda car although from news reports they seem to be above any laws once they show their charitable side or even better the sniper option :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

It was just Military Police doing speed checks on Military vehicles. They are required to wear hi-viz vests while out of their vehicle.

They have NO authority to interfere with civilian vehicles, they may point the speed gun at you but dont worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

WW3 is coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Or maybe something to do the RIRA arrests yesterday?

benwavner wrote: »
    It was just Military Police doing speed checks on Military vehicles. They are required to wear hi-viz vests while out of their vehicle.

They have NO authority to interfere with civilian vehicles, they may point the speed gun at you but dont worry about it.

Typical. I was well under the speed limit this time

squod wrote: »
    Blast him with piss soldier

Soldier doesn't do that, sniper does.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

Seeing as people hear seem to know a bit about the army, what's the craic with getting into the Military police. Do you join the army as normal and then go down that track? Or is it like an officer were you can join with the sole intention of being trained to become an officer?

WW3 is coming.

they'll need more than a speed camera to slow down the invaders! :D

• Advertisement

daithi09 wrote: »
    Seeing as people hear seem to know a bit about the army, what's the craic with getting into the Military police. Do you join the army as normal and then go down that track? Or is it like an officer were you can join with the sole intention of being trained to become an officer?

You can join the PDF as a Cadet or a Recruit. Once your respective training has completed, when the opportunity arises, you can apply to undergo a Military Police course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Ask over on the military forum Daithi. But if you become a redcap, expect to be unpopular.

As others said they were probably lying in wait for a military vehicle or vehicles. Which presumably they knew were on the way.

Having had the pleasure of travelling in various army vehicles over the years. I can tell you it's needed. Some of my trips were more akin to low flying than driving!

That area around there is army country. It passes the Curragh after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

Do ye have a defence forces forum? Something I can mooch around..

EDIT: Ah the military.. cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Better than having them on the dole I suppose.

Better than having them on the dole I suppose.

What has that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Full camo AND Hi-vis, interesting combination, no ? Maybe they were undercover !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

You sure they weren't doing something for ordinances survey? Aren't the army involved in map making?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

What has that got to do with anything?

Well I assumed they had nothing better to be doing with the army so had them helping out the RSA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They could have been drying their hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

The Military Police have been operating speed checks for many years, I did many in the '80s/'90s.

MagicSean wrote: »
    You sure they weren't doing something for ordinances survey? Aren't the army involved in map making?

fairly sure alright unless the RSA are involved in map making aswell :D

Definitely a speed gun I've seen more than my fair share :D

Well I assumed they had nothing better to be doing with the army so had them helping out the RSA.

They are not helping out the RSA. They just had hi-viz vests with RSA branded on them.

Speed checks are a routine Military Police duty. The Defence Forces have their own laws, military driving permits and driver standard operating procedures.

The Defence Forces have to obey civil and military law, the MP's were just out making sure the drivers were adhering to them.

rednik wrote: »
    The Military Police have been operating speed checks for many years, I did many in the '80s/'90s.

Solely for military vehicles?

They have cartographers, yes, but this was nothing to do with them.

Solely for military vehicles?

Yes

They are not helping out the RSA. They just had hi-viz vests with RSA branded on them.

Speed checks are a routine Military Police duty. The Defence Forces have their own laws, military driving permits and driver standard operating procedures.

The Defence Forces have to obey civil and military law, the MP's were just out making sure the drivers were adhering to them.

Should they not have ha MP or is there an equivalent branch of the RSA/traffic corps in the army. Perhaps we're all covered under the same umbrella and as ye are saying the army police their own while the Gsrdaí police us.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

They can stop a civilian vehicle and arrest the occupants should the need arise.

They have cartographers, yes, but this was nothing to do with them.

Is that the title for a map maker/plotter? Can't even think of the right term :confused: learn something new everyday :)

They can stop a civilian vehicle and arrest the occupants should the need arise.

Even for a speeding offence fair enough if they're posing a threat to them.

Should they not have ha MP or is there an equivalent branch of the RSA/traffic corps in the army. Perhaps we're all covered under the same umbrella and as ye are saying the army police their own while the Gsrdaí police us.

The Gardai "police" civillian and military traffic. The military "police" military vehicles and soldiers driving civillian vehicles.

Soldiers performing duties in an ATCP role may detain a person or vehicle if the need arised, although that would be an exceptional circumstance. There are certain situations where military personnel will interact with civillian traffic....usually just assisting with an RTA.

Is that the title for a map maker/plotter? Can't even think of the right term :confused: learn something new everyday :)

Yes
    Even for a speeding offence fair enough if they're posing a threat to them.

No, not for a speeding offence. It would have to be an exceptional circumstance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

What happens is the police have a speed check near the Curragh on the M7. They notice a number of military vehicles speeding. They can't stop them but they do report to their boss who reports to the Military Police commander that a number of vehicles are speeding and they may want to do something about it.

• Advertisement

ken wrote: »
    What happens is the police have a speed check near the Curragh on the M7. They notice a number of military vehicles speeding. They can't stop them but they do report to their boss who reports to the Military Police commander that a number of vehicles are speeding and they may want to do something about it.

Military vehicles can be stopped by AGS.

Vehicles in use for certain official military functions cannot be stopped. Although, AGS will rarely know the difference between the functions as it is not obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I hear marshal law has been declared. Be afraid, be very afraid

I hear marshal law has been declared. Be afraid, be very afraid

Sh.it, I better get my helmet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

I think they were wearing wine coloured berets. They were having the craic anyway must've been waiting on Private Pile. They were wearing brand spankin RSA high vis vests so Gaybo must be meddling again.

Wine/Red berets, thats military police alrite.

Black Berets are Permanent Defence Force

Green ones are Reserve Defence Force

Gud luck stopping a member of the ARW! they'll prob tell them to f*ck off and just drive on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

This thread again!

stoneill wrote: »
    This thread again!

This comment again! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Powers of arrest don't extend that far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

rednik wrote: »
    Powers of arrest don't extend that far.

DEFENCE ACT, 1954
    268.—(1) If any person, without lawful authority, makes or attempts to make any sketch, drawing, photograph, picture, painting, model or note of any fort, battery, field work, fortification or any military work of defence, aerodrome, barracks, post, magazine, munition factory, stores depot or any other Government property occupied or partly occupied by the Defence Forces or any portion thereof, such person shall be guilty of an offence under this subsection and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof to a fine not exceeding one hundred pounds or, at the discretion of the court, imprisonment for any term not exceeding twelve months, and all sketches, drawings, photographs, pictures, paintings, models and notes and all tools and all materials or apparatus for sketching, drawing, photographing, painting or modelling found in his possession shall be forfeited and may be destroyed, sold or otherwise disposed of as a Minister of State directs.

(4) Any member of the Defence Forces or of the Garda Síochána may without warrant arrest any person who he has reasonable grounds to believe has committed an offence under this section and bring him before a Justice of the District Court to be dealt with according to law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

No used to be, hence Ordnance Survey. But that's my job or soon will be. No army involvement.

Advertisement