Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipping when ordering pizza

• 14-09-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭

Serious question - is it the done thing to tip the pizza delivery guy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Only if you're a Yank because the owner of the large pizza chain lobbied the local senator so he could get away with paying the delivery lad $2 an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

if there's no delivery charge on top of the pizza, then i'd tip a feller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If I order takeaway, I often give a tip, but I don't consider it to be expected of me. And I don't feel at all bad if I don't happen to have extra change on me at the time, or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I always do, unless there was a major hold up. it seems like a **** job which they get paid **** for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

fitzgese wrote: »
    Serious question - is it the done thing to tip the pizza delivery guy?

Well I always give him a euro or two. Depending on how much piza cost so it is €13 I give him €15 and tell him to keep change.

These guys are on min wage & as with waiting staff rely on tips to make extra cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Keep the change ya filthy animal!"

The Kevin McCallister method I call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I always tip about 2euro yeah. Even if there's a delivery charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 blatherskite

If I'm ordering pizza it's normally with a friend/s and so typically over 20 euro. Usually give a 2 euro tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

A euro or 2 because its less money than taxiing for the same work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

im more about the topping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i will give them a euro.

cause i'm sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Depends how regular I order from them. If very regular, and it's a bif order, €2, as this usually ensures the food will be hot next time as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FatherLen wrote: »
    i will give them a euro.

cause i'm sound

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I always tip simply cause the driver will always remember the tippers and will deliver your pizza first

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Scofield

I always do, just a couple of quid but it makes a difference to someone doing a ****ty job over the course of an evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If I've already paid by credit card on the website, then no I wouldn't as I might not have change on me plus it would feel a bit awkward handing over just a tip on its own.

If I was paying with cash, then yes I usually would. Always would if say the bill came to €18 or €18.50, I'd just tell the guy not to worry about the change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If it's a delivery that's doesn't haven't any hiccups then anywhere between two to five euro. That said, I haven't actually ordered a take away delivery in almost two years, but assuming I could afford it then I'd probably still give a tip. Tipping just made you feel better about being a lazy sloth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I never do. I pay the delivery charge which is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Toast4532 wrote: »
    I never do. I pay the delivery charge which is enough.

Don't must pizza takeaways nowadays give free delivery with a minimum spend of so many euros (usually €10)? :confused: Surely you wouldn't order a delivery below that value?

I'll always round up to notes (so anything between €15 and €20 I'd always give €20). But if the pizza order was €20, I wouldn't go around searching for three euro to give him, I'd just give the twenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Sometimes I just give the f*ckers a glimpse of my abs, or just hold their gaze for an extra second or two. Some things are worth more than money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Jernal wrote: »
    Don't must pizza takeaways nowadays give free delivery with a minimum spend of so many euros (usually €10)? :confused: Surely you wouldn't order a delivery below that value?
    Some of them offer free delivery, not all of them though.

If I order something that is E19 or something then I'd just tell them to keep the change, but if I order something that is E15 or E16 then I take the full change from them or give them the exact amount.

However if I pay online I don't give tips, as I usually only pay online when I don't have any/enough cash on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Not if they charge for delivery

Advertisement