Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Canada

Options
  • 14-09-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

I should be moving to Moirnveille outside Edmonton in the next month or so when my paper work comes through.

I am wondering if anyone can give me information on the best way to find accommadation and the best areas to look in.

Also need info on cars, where is the best place to get one? How much is insurance?

Any advice or info would be great, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rascal20012

I am also heading to canada in the next few weeks. Im heading to st johns in newfoundland. IV been looking at cars on this site . http://stjohns.kijiji.ca/f-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-W0QQCatIdZ174
    its for st johns but it covers all canada just type in the area. hope this helps smile.png also any info anyone has on st johns would be apreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Frostine

vocaw wrote: »
    Hi

I should be moving to Moirnveille outside Edmonton in the next month or so when my paper work comes through.

I am wondering if anyone can give me information on the best way to find accommadation and the best areas to look in.

Also need info on cars, where is the best place to get one? How much is insurance?

Any advice or info would be great, Thanks

You are sometimes better off buying a used car from a small-town dealership. They often have better prices than Edmonton or Calgary would. Here's a link to check out customer satisfaction with Alberta dealerships http://www.dealerrater.ca. As far as insurance goes, rates vary according to type of vehicle, driver's age, experience,etc. You can sometimes bundle your home and auto insurance together for a better rate. Here's a link for car insurance quoteshttp://www.kanetix.ca/alberta-car-insurance-canada
    Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Frostine

Oh yeah, I forgot, you will want good collision on your auto insurance!! The roads here can be brutal in the winter! Even if you are a good driver, there are plenty who are not, and they always forget how to drive on ice and snow for the first few snowfalls. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 vocaw

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LoBella

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Canada soon but have no clue how to go about visa applications and all the necessary docs!

Does anybody know how long it generally takes to process an application and how much this will cost?

Also any ideas of what it's like on the job front out there??

I am an ecologist and my husband is a builder / jack of all trades!

Thank u in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

Visa applications for 2013 haven't opened yet but should in early january. In the link below there's a step by step guide, but it won't be activated till the applications are opened afaik. What you could do nw though is sort out garda clearance forms, make sure your passport is upto date etc and have a look at the job search sites to see what area would best suit the two of you in terms of your occupations, different areas would suit different types of work.
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?view=d

Once you've applied, there's a wait of upto 12 weeks while your visa gets processed. If you're successful you'll get your letter of introduction and you can book your flights, get your travel insurance and start looking into somewhere to live!

In terms of cost, it really depends on whether or not you go through an agency or go it alone. Agencies like USIT will proofread your applications, book your flights etc, but can be very pricey... I was looking at one that charged almost €300 for the application process and another hundred for a flight deposit. Plus you might get stuck with a flight that is far more expensive than necessary...
    Most people I know have sorted out their visa themselves, and it's what I'm planning on doing too... Fill out your paper work when the forms get here, post them yourself.All you have to pay for that way is the visa itself, which was €110 last year I believe. You can find your own flights, which will work out way cheaper, and your own travel insurance too! The link I gave has some great pdfs about life in Canada and should give you a better insight into what it will be like when you get there!

Hope that's helped you in some way anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LoBella

Thank you so much. It certainly does help!

Best of luck on your travels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tach

Hi I'm also thinking of moving to Canada but won't be able to move until January 2014. Does anyone know if I can apply for the visa now and just not move to canada for a few months of will I have to wait until the 2014 visas are available and apply then?

Any advice would be really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Which Visa?
    If IEC then you have no choice but to wait til 2014 as it is now closed

Advertisement