Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pillars of Eternity

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Lol... Hopefully the patch will resolve that. Read one of the bugs was traps not being removed from the game and bloating the save game file although 3gb sounds a bit crazy....

It's gone away now, I think it might have been one map causing the problem, not really sure if it was the patch that resolved it and I haven't been able to replicate it, very weird. Files are now back to ~4MB.

On a related note, anyone else having trouble opening some doors after the patch? I've had to reload two levels to open doors after they fail to open when clicking on them (the open door icon appears on hover the first time but goes away after clicking).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

That door thing happened to me alright in Raedrics keep but it wasn't an important door so I didn't think much of it. Haven't played much pre patch so no idea if that's a newly introduced bug.

Another annoying bug is I've done two manual stronghold defenses now and both times my hirelings have turned on me. Initially I thought maybe an AoE went awry but second time there was definitely nothing. They just blinked to red.

Another annoying bug is I've done two manual stronghold defenses now and both times my hirelings have turned on me. Initially I thought maybe an AoE went awry but second time there was definitely nothing. They just blinked to red.

Maybe someone else is paying them more than you :p

I had a quick look in the forums. It seems others are having the same issue so not a payment issue :P Are they worth hiring though? Or should I just defend the keep on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

that keeps happening to me, i ended up just killing them and hiring new people :pac: noticed a few bugs since the patch, like i kill a load of people then when i come back to that area there they are standing round but you cant interact with them. hmm. Bit anoying with the stronghold bandit attacks can destroy your walls even tho i just finished it !! 4 days and 2k *waves fist*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Glad I decided not too get this just yet seeing as ye all seem to be running into annoying bugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Words can't describe how disgusted I am with myself for only finding out about this game now...I've let down the gamer in me big time. Massive fan of the Baldur's Gate (Irenicus best antagonist ever imo) games.

Glad I decided not too get this just yet seeing as ye all seem to be running into annoying bugs.

Nothing gaaaame breaking but needs a toouch more polish if you're finicky. Give it a patch more I'd say. It's the first game in a long time I've genuinely been happy that I've paid out for bugs or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'm about 30 hours in and have encountered zero bugs. And most of that is pre-patch gameplay too.

The game is in very good shape. Just buy it and enjoy. Keep a few saves going the whole time in case you hit a bug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

God I'm terrible at this game. I'm playing on easy and keep getting killed

Krusader wrote: »

You're getting killed on Easy?

Are you sure your mouse is plugged in?

What's your party made up of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What's your party made up of?

...party?

Party is 2 x Ranger, priest, chanter and eder whatever he is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Eder is a fighter, he's a capable tank :)

Two tanks if you are finding it hard, i tried most classes to raederic and i found my fighter + eder with any other team members is unkillable on normal (pause alot) so make sure to get two tanky guys recruit from an inn if you have to. just got a cipher in my group stuck it with a bow and dammmm ranged ciphers kick ass. also enjoying the crap out of this game.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    If that is the case, I'll continue to enjoy the games I got for a fraction of that price and wait for a while.

Awesome. What other Baldur's Gate remakes did you get for a fraction of the price? I'd love to play em.

(The game is pricey for a reason. It is targeting a demographic that were younger when the BG and IWD games were out that (most likely) have a bit more disposable income now.
    Also it's a huge game with thousands of lines of dialogue and a LOT of voice acting. It has at least 40 - 50 hours of gameplay.
    Since when is 40 euro breaking the bank for all that?
    I don't remember BG, IWD and PS:T being cheaper when they were released 15 years ago).

EDIT: Hang on, where are you getting €40 from? There's tons of places selling it for around the €25 mark. Here's one. Plus if you were a true fan of the series you would have been a backer and got it cheaper again :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So am I right in assuming the cheapest version is 40euro or higher?

If that is the case, I'll continue to enjoy the games I got for a fraction of that price and wait for a while.

I seen it on g2play for about 17

Nothing gaaaame breaking but needs a toouch more polish if you're finicky. Give it a patch more I'd say. It's the first game in a long time I've genuinely been happy that I've paid out for bugs or not.
    quarryman wrote: »
    I'm about 30 hours in and have encountered zero bugs. And most of that is pre-patch gameplay too.

The game is in very good shape. Just buy it and enjoy. Keep a few saves going the whole time in case you hit a bug.

Damn ye......I'll probably get it Tuesday :D

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    ...party?

Gang, collective, assembly. What do you prefer?

On normal I need two tanks. I've got Eder, hired off tank, Aloth, Kana, my main cipher and Durance. So tanky tanks take up the aggro with cipher/wiz laying down crowd control and the priest/chanter buffing.

Any reason you have two rangers?

My character is a Ranger and Songi is a ranger. I'll hire another tank I suppose. Poor Aloth died in my game. Maerwyn killed him

You're really going to jump on my back for asking a simple question and conveying a preference for double-checking costs and/or purchasing a non-founders or non-'extras' pack? How very nice of you.

I am a true fan - but I'm also a hard working individual working across two games who has been too busy to keep up to speed on releases, hence late asking what the actual price is seeing as most places would obviously advertise the more expensive versions over the rawest, cheapest package. Lo and behold, this seems to be the case. Thank you for your consideration.

OK, but in fairness your post read like "I'm here to tell you all that I won't be playing this game because it's too expensive and I have other games to play". :)

You're definitely a fan alright, I'm pretty sure you were posting here about BG 1/2 back in the day, like myself.

Which is why I'd really suggest you play it! If it can be got for for €17 then it's a BARGAIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Damn ye......I'll probably get it Tuesday :D

I've encountered zero bugs too. Just do it man. After a few minutes play I had a huge smile from ear to ear. It just smacks of BG right from the start. :)

Gang, collective, assembly. What do you prefer?

Apparently my joke failed. I was implying that the reason he was getting killed on easy mode was that he didn't have a party.

I don't have time for that tripe nonsense posting - and it's a sad day if people with too many games to play and an unwillingness to throw 40e at something they could get for half that price comes off that way. Over the last few months I've randomly snagged countless humble-bundles waiting to be played (never-mind non-bundled titles). Rather than fork out 40e to add a name to a waiting list, I would have stuck with smaller titles and waited. As expected, it's mostly thanks to sites promoting the higher packages (as you would). Steam doesn't show anything below 42euro (which is where I normally browse).

I see no harm asking before I take a plunge because I don't have as much time as I used to for in-depth investigations or keeping with the times.

If I can find it at a price like that, definitely - as said on page one, I've always loved games like this - but thanks to life and work, the thread slipped my mind for donkeys ages and my playtime has diminished - hence I'm snooping around at the weekend.

Dunno if you missed my post or not but its 18 on g2play at the moment.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would my laptop be able to run this guys? systemrequirementslab says no but it's told me no before on games I was able to run like Civ 5 for example. It seems I meet every criteria apart from the 512mb video ram, I only have 128mb, lousy intel integrated graphics :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Would my laptop be able to run this guys? systemrequirementslab says no but it's told me no before on games I was able to run like Civ 5 for example. It seems I meet every criteria apart from the 512mb video ram, I only have 128mb, lousy intel integrated graphics :mad:

Works fine on high settings with my Intel HD 3000, so you should be able to run it ok, depending on what you have, the the processor will have a major effect on its base and boosted speed.

Dunno if you missed my post or not but its 18 on g2play at the moment.

!!!! ffs why do i forget to check g2play ugh i spent 40 on bloody steam :mad:

• Advertisement

Lone Stone wrote: »
    !!!! ffs why do i forget to check g2play ugh i spent 40 on bloody steam :mad:

:-/

I don't have time for that tripe nonsense posting - and it's a sad day if people with too many games to play and an unwillingness to throw 40e at something they could get for half that price comes off that way. Over the last few months I've randomly snagged countless humble-bundles waiting to be played (never-mind non-bundled titles). Rather than fork out 40e to add a name to a waiting list, I would have stuck with smaller titles and waited. As expected, it's mostly thanks to sites promoting the higher packages (as you would). Steam doesn't show anything below 42euro (which is where I normally browse).

I see no harm asking before I take a plunge because I don't have as much time as I used to for in-depth investigations or keeping with the times.

If I can find it at a price like that, definitely - as said on page one, I've always loved games like this - but thanks to life and work, the thread slipped my mind for donkeys ages and my playtime has diminished - hence I'm snooping around at the weekend.

Fair enough. Don't mind my snarky tone.

Fyi, I use this site for ANY game I buy: www.dlcompare.com. It's indicated if the key works on steam (most do). Usually much cheaper than steam itself.

I don't understand how some outlet can make a profit selling it so cheaply. 18 feckin yoyos?

Mickeroo wrote: »

Take a look in your bios, there might be an option to dedicate more RAM to the graphics.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm a bit into the game, level 6 party, and found my characters were oddly fragile. I only realised why when I went and read up how endurance and health work in this, in a manner very different from the conventional way. It's been a long time since a game needed me to read the instructions.

So hired stronghold protection is definitely a bug. Walked into the keep yesterday and my own protection just attacked me and then when I went to defend an attack they were all set to red from the start......

Also another bug I've found is my treasury is always empty. Seems to be a bug other have.

I'm nearing the end of the third act I think and I'm actually just kind of bored at this point. Storyline is a little confused and incoherent, no real drive or passion behind it. We barely ever see the antagonist and we only have a vague and dubious motivation to even be looking for him.

Irenicus stole your soul and you were going to die and you had to find him, kill him and take it back - also take revenge for all that torture - that's a good motivation right there.

This is like a muddled, impersonal and amateurish version of that.

I'm nearing the end of the third act I think and I'm actually just kind of bored at this point. Storyline is a little confused and incoherent, no real drive or passion behind it. We barely ever see the antagonist and we only have a vague and dubious motivation to even be looking for him.

Irenicus stole your soul and you were going to die and you had to find him, kill him and take it back - also take revenge for all that torture - that's a good motivation right there.

This is like a muddled, impersonal and amateurish version of that.

Yea it's not as clear as bg games. I'm finding their to a lack conclusion to some of the bigger quest chains like you do it, that's it. But still enjoying the Crap out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I don't understand how some outlet can make a profit selling it so cheaply. 18 feckin yoyos?

You buy in bulk. And instead of selling a few copies at a 300% mark up like most stores, you sell thousands of copies for a few euro profit each and ultimately make more money.

It's also worth pointing out that a certain percentage of the keys you buy on key selling websites like G2A and their like, come from fraudulent means such as stolen credit cards. Not all of them by any means, but some of them.

• Advertisement

15.99 on g2play atm

Eurgh.... dem prices.... I paid for the steam version just for sake of ease....

I was going to buy on the gray market but I decided not to. I'm sure it'd be fine but I'd prefer to buy a game that's been on the market a while to use them. Bulk buying or not I get a little hinkey when I see newly released games at ridiculous prices. Also, working in credit card fraud I know for a fact that games sites get hit by stolen cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

15.99 on g2play atm

Yeesh, that's only 3c more than the early bird kickstarter rate ended up costing me 2 and a half years ago. Absolute steal at that price.

Many people still playing this?

I'm somewhere near the end of act 2 and utterly confused on the storyline. Gonna keep plugging away though.

However, the more I play the more I miss the epic-ness of Baldur's Gate 2. Although there are so many improvements made over the infinity engine titles (fast mode, more understandable combat, better graphics, better path-finding ) I still feel it falls short of BG 2. Despite that, I think I'd find it hard to go back to BG2 as the PoE game improvements make things a lot smoother.

Definitely playing but I'd probably agree with Zillah regarding story. Had a 'vision' regarding the main antagonist and I was like... oh yeah, you. I'd completely forgotten about you.... I still love the game though.

killed my first dragon that thing looked awesome, loving this game really recommend it to anyone looking for a good rpg. Also yes the story is fine easy to follow. Can also be drastically different depending on how you role play your character.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to spoiler tag this whole post so I'm just going to warn you now that this is all super SPOILERY stop reading now.

So...

I decided that the main story is terrible. Evil wizard is trying to steal everyone's souls to resurrect an evil God. Bleh. Very old hat, nothing original or distinctive about it. So in concept it's boring. It's even worse in execution. The entire main plot can be summarised as: you accidentally run into the main bad guy at the start. As a side-effect of something he was doing he kind of messed up your soul, he never even noticed you or knew who you were. You run around for a long time doing little of relevance. Eventually you find him and fight him. Bleh.

HOWEVER. Look at the backstory. There's a story about a world full of false Gods and the Engwithians create a pantheon of Gods to bring religious order to the world and stem the tide of barbarous religion. There is a whole conflict between those advocating the new pantheon and those that resist it. There's a civil war, a great schism, an inquisition. That's an awesome story, can we play the game set then instead of getting laborious and largely irrelevant psychic visions about it?

ALSO. There's another backstory. Apparently in recent history the God of benevolence possessed a living man and became a walking Saint-God and eventually led a war against a neighbouring kingdom only to be destroyed by what is essentially a magical nuclear bomb called the Godhammer. Can we please play through that story?! That's waaaaaay more interesting that the derivative crap we got for the actual story. That's a genuinely fantastic and original setting for a fantasy story.

They came up with two awesome storylines and one crappy one, decided the crappy one would be the one that we play through and the awesome storylines would serve as mere backstory.

Talk about losing sight of the forest for the trees.

(I am enjoying the gameplay, and overall it's not a bad game, but they screwed up on the storyline front. The fact that it's so wordy while being so dull just makes it sound pretentious)

I decided to get this instead of finishing Divinity. It's installing now. :D

Are any of the classes underpowered? I'm not looking to pick the OP guy, but similarly I don't want to find out 10 hours in that I picked the gimped build. Any one to stay away from or are they all playable?

Just finished Act 2.

I'm enjoying it but I preferred Divinity. I thought the combat was better and the game just had more charm. But this is still very good. I feel a little bit OP playing on normal difficulty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Kirby wrote: »
    I decided to get this instead of finishing Divinity. It's installing now. :D

Are any of the classes underpowered? I'm not looking to pick the OP guy, but similarly I don't want to find out 10 hours in that I picked the gimped build. Any one to stay away from or are they all playable?

It's specifically designed so that you can't have a gimped build which I don't like but there it is. Josh Sawyer doesn't like dump stats so all attributes will be of some benefit to all classes. On character creation it will tell you what the most applicable attributes are to the class you have chosen (2 highly recommended and one recommended) but by design you can ignore that and still do fine. In terms of choosing a class you could pick one that isn't covered by the companions (e.g. I don't think there is a rogue companion) or have a read up on them as some of the mechanics are interesting and may appeal to you. Chanters having phrases (that you lay out in a song book) that build up to an incantation, Ciphers using a whip to build focus to cast spells, Monks using their wounds to build up focus etc. They do have some interesting takes on the classic classes.

mewso wrote: »
    It's specifically designed so that you can't have a gimped build which I don't like but there it is. Josh Sawyer doesn't like dump stats so all attributes will be of some benefit to all classes. On character creation it will tell you what the most applicable attributes are to the class you have chosen (2 highly recommended and one recommended) but by design you can ignore that and still do fine. In terms of choosing a class you could pick one that isn't covered by the companions (e.g. I don't think there is a rogue companion) or have a read up on them as some of the mechanics are interesting and may appeal to you. Chanters having phrases (that you lay out in a song book) that build up to an incantation, Ciphers using a whip to build focus to cast spells, Monks using their wounds to build up focus etc. They do have some interesting takes on the classic classes.

I went with a rogue. Mostly using a bow but I switch to daggers when needed. I went with might and dex at around 18 or 19, Con at about 7, int at 3, with perception and resolve at 16 each.

I have a party of 4 at the moment including myself, the wizard guy, eder, and a merc I hired who I called Tankurth! :P I did the tomb in the first town.

One thing I don't like about it is the way the abilities/hotkeys work. It's so cumbersome. You have all this screen real estate and they hide the abilities away on a small bar. It's not ideal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement