Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity College Transition Year Work Experience-School of Biochemistry and Immunology

Options
  • 14-09-2012 9:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭

On the application form, there is a personal statement to be filled out. Just wondering how long it should be?? There is roughly one third of the page left to fill out but should i make it any longer?? So far, my opening paragraph is that long. Please help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I did a Physics one when I was in TY. From what I can remember the personal statement was half a page long.
    They're not looking for length so don't worry!

When I wrote my personal statement, I talked about myself briefly (3-4 lines) and the rest was about my love of science. Keep it short, too the point and within the designated space and you'll be fine.

Also sorry it's a bit vague, it was 5 years ago when I applied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Scortho wrote: »
    I did a Physics one when I was in TY. From what I can remember the personal statement was half a page long.
    They're not looking for length so don't worry!

When I wrote my personal statement, I talked about myself briefly (3-4 lines) and the rest was about my love of science. Keep it short, too the point and within the designated space and you'll be fine.

Also sorry it's a bit vague, it was 5 years ago when I applied.
    Thanks. I sent off my application about 2 days ago but the personal statement was done on a separate page, was roughly 3/5s of a page but I never said who I was what I liked etc. Should I send a new one??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Leinsterr wrote: »
    Thanks. I sent off my application about 2 days ago but the personal statement was done on a separate page, was roughly 3/5s of a page but I never said who I was what I liked etc. Should I send a new one??
    Ah You'll be fine. I know for the physics one, it was oversubscribed so there was a second one for those like me who didnt get it the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I know this thread is old but just had a question. I've applied for the TY Programme in TCD for this school and they said they will reply back to all applicants in October. I have yet to get a reply back on my application and my school's putting pressure on me to wrap up the work experience forms. Anyone who has applied for this programme, when roughly did you get a reply back. Early , Mid or late October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I know this thread is old but just had a question. I've applied for the TY Programme in TCD for this school and they said they will reply back to all applicants in October. I have yet to get a reply back on my application and my school's putting pressure on me to wrap up the work experience forms. Anyone who has applied for this programme, when roughly did you get a reply back. Early , Mid or late October.

Hey!

I did this last year, and got a reply back in like three weeks. It was the week before Mid-Term for me, I got an email.

• Advertisement

Hey!

I did this last year, and got a reply back in like three weeks. It was the week before Mid-Term for me, I got an email.

Thanks for replying. Hopefully i got a placement. Did u get it?

Thanks for replying. Hopefully i got a placement. Did u get it?

Yeah, me and a classmate got it. The week is epic, and if you're interested in science (specifically biology), then you'll be like a kid in a candy shop.

You get a feel of student life at the University, and a very general overview of the kind of things the department do. I gave a really harsh review last year; so hopefully some aspects are improved and others completely put down.

Yeah, me and a classmate got it. The week is epic, and if you're interested in science (specifically biology), then you'll be like a kid in a candy shop.

You get a feel of student life at the University, and a very general overview of the kind of things the department do. I gave a really harsh review last year; so hopefully some aspects are improved and others completely put down.

Sounds great. What kind of things did you put down in your application like why u want to be part of the programme and do they look seriously at your JC result or more at your answer to the application question. PM me if u want :)

Sounds great. What kind of things did you put down in your application like why u want to be part of the programme and do they look seriously at your JC result or more at your answer to the application question. PM me if u want :)

I got an A at science higher level and a B at maths higher level. I don't know if they really care about your results, but me and my mate got As in science - but I vaguely remember one of the girls I was with got a B on science.

Just talk about yourself briefly, and then puke out your love for science (if you do love the subject..). Let them know that you get butterflies in your stomach when your teacher introduces a new interesting chapter ... okay ... that might be only me :o

But seriously, just be yourself. Tell them what you hope to get out of from the course. The possibilities that would present to you if you gain more insight. Also if anyone in your family works in the science/medical field, it'll be great mentioning that because it shows the hunger lures in the family (my mum was a biology teacher).

My personal statement was a lot longer than the spaces they provided. So much to say! Don't waffle though.

I got an A at science higher level and a B at maths higher level. I don't know if they really care about your results, but me and my mate got As in science - but I vaguely remember one of the girls I was with got a B on science.

Just talk about yourself briefly, and then puke out your love for science (if you do love the subject..). Let them know that you get butterflies in your stomach when your teacher introduces a new interesting chapter ... okay ... that might be only me :o

But seriously, just be yourself. Tell them what you hope to get out of from the course. The possibilities that would present to you if you gain more insight. Also if anyone in your family works in the science/medical field, it'll be great mentioning that because it shows the hunger lures in the family (my mum was a biology teacher).

My personal statement was a lot longer than the spaces they provided. So much to say! Don't waffle though.

Cool great post. I did exactly what u said in talking about your legit love and passion and excitement for science. Unfortunately i dont know any relatives in the family in the science field but nevertheless I think what I wrote about my love for science is exceptional. The only thing i'm worrying about is that I got a B in science in the JC. I got 84 in the mocks and im sure i must have got between 80-85% in the JC. But as u said there was a girl who got a B with you so hopefully i will get the same luck she did. Is the programme mostly doing actual work and little projects or is it kind of work shadowing as in listening to some lectures and being shown the laboratories and different apparatus?

• Advertisement

Cool great post. I did exactly what u said in talking about your legit love and passion and excitement for science. Unfortunately i dont know any relatives in the family in the science field but nevertheless I think what I wrote about my love for science is exceptional. The only thing i'm worrying about is that I got a B in science in the JC. I got 84 in the mocks and im sure i must have got between 80-85% in the JC. But as u said there was a girl who got a B with you so hopefully i will get the same luck she did. Is the programme mostly doing actual work and little projects or is it kind of work shadowing as in listening to some lectures and being shown the laboratories and different apparatus?

Also, you need to make sure you stand out. Include things in your statement that no one else would, put some thought into and play around with words to make it seem real - and not if someone is reading it from a sheet of paper.

They say they tweak the programme every year using the feedback we give at the end. So things WILL be different, but there are some aspects everyone absolutely loved and they WILL return.

The activities varies, and they give you a schedule (some days you will finish earlier, and on one day I finished at 6pm!). There will be a few lectures - a phD student will probably come in, and talk about him self and his college life. It really gives you a great insight.

You will be assigned to labs, and will basically shadow and help the researchers. They will show you the ropes, and show you nifty things using very expensive research equipment. Of course, I can only speak for myself because only two people are assigned to each lab - and my lab technician was pretty awesome and let us do a lot of things.

I also sat (only me for some reason :pac:) at one of the 'weekly lab meetings'. It was very interesting, and despite not knowing all the weird terminology - I understood the jist of it and realised that it's all about teamwork.

You will also do some games, and get a nasty surprise (I loved it :D). Poor rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 justynacz

Guys, I got a B in HL Science and a B in HL Maths so I need to make sure my peronal statement stands out. Anyone did this programme? What did you write?

Advertisement