Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upset by work colleague

Options
  • 14-09-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

hi guys i dont know where to start, had a meeting today with two of my work collegues and my manager about work contracts. Basically i didnt question my manager about the contents of the contract and the two others did . Afterwards i heard back that one of these work collegues was giving out about me for saying nothing at the meeting and rather harshly said bad things about me that I was a coward etc. I didnt want to say anything because I am only a temporary contractor and was afraid that any negative views i would have would go straight back to management so i choise to say nothing. Anyway i was thinking should I confront this co worker and ask her why she was saying bad stuff about me? What would ye advise me to do? Very upset about it right now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭rebecca 30

forget about the person, do not let yourself get in the middle of people giving out at work ( people like starting fights at work and then stand on the sideline watching ), it will be hard , but just keep smiling !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Amprodude wrote: »
    hi guys i dont where to start, had a meeting today with two of my work collegues and my manager about work contracts. Basically i didnt question my manager about the contents of the contract and the two others did . Afterwards i heard back that one of these work collegues was giving out about me for saying nothing at the meeting and rather harshly said bad things about me that I was a coward etc. I didnt want to say anything because I am only a temporary contractor and was afraid that any negative views i would have would go straight back to management so i choise to say nothing. Anyway i was thinking should I confront this co worker and ask her why she was saying bad stuff about me? What would ye advise me to do? Very upset about it right now.

Hi there I understand how u feel but u are best not to confront this co - worker . U had your reasons for not not talking up at that initial meeting .
    If its put to u during any further talk of it , reiterate your reasons . As the other poster said keep smiling .
    U can rant when u get out at least u can see that persons true colours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    hi guys i dont where to start, had a meeting today with two of my work collegues and my manager about work contracts. Basically i didnt question my manager about the contents of the contract and the two others did . Afterwards i heard back that one of these work collegues was giving out about me for saying nothing at the meeting and rather harshly said bad things about me that I was a coward etc. I didnt want to say anything because I am only a temporary contractor and was afraid that any negative views i would have would go straight back to management so i choise to say nothing. Anyway i was thinking should I confront this co worker and ask her why she was saying bad stuff about me? What would ye advise me to do? Very upset about it right now.

Hi there I understand how u feel but u are best not to confront this co - worker . U had your reasons for not not talking up at that initial meeting .
    If its put to u during any further talk of it , reiterate your reasons . As the other poster said keep smiling .
    U can rant when u get out at least u can see that persons true colours

Thanks guys.

i find it hard to be nice to backstabbers. I dont ever badmouth anyone unless i had a good reason to. This woman talks about everyone behind their backs. How could i let her know that I know something without actually saying anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

Thanks guys.

i find it hard to be nice to backstabbers. I dont ever badmouth anyone unless i had a good reason to. This woman talks about everyone behind their backs. How could i let her know that I know something without actually saying anything?

Were you engaging in bitching beforehand? At the end of the day, what you say at a meeting with your boss is your call, but I've been at meetings where beforehand someone was gung-ho about an issue, but played dumb at the meeting. It's frustrating for the person who speaks up thinking they have everyone on their side, and it breeds distrust of colleagues.

On the other hand, if you made it known you were neutral, or on a different page to that person, ignore it. You are allowed a different opinion. Just don't let yourself get engaged in any office politics from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Gotta agree with the above, your not giving us the whole story here as you admit you didnt want to say anything negative so you obviously knew there was potential for this to happen in the meeting and are you sure you didnt speak about this before hand.

I reckon your colleague thinks you threw them under the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

guppy wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Were you engaging in bitching beforehand? At the end of the day, what you say at a meeting with your boss is your call, but I've been at meetings where beforehand someone was gung-ho about an issue, but played dumb at the meeting. It's frustrating for the person who speaks up thinking they have everyone on their side, and it breeds distrust of colleagues.

On the other hand, if you made it known you were neutral, or on a different page to that person, ignore it. You are allowed a different opinion. Just don't let yourself get engaged in any office politics from now on.

I didnt really have an opinion on the matter beforehand anyway and didnt say anything to her on the matter beforehand. I didn say I was going to say stuff at the meeting beforehand or anything if you get what I mean. My attitude is that im there to work even on a temporary contract and if they want to get rid of me thats fine too. Im just neutral on the matter and simply dont care what happens at the end of the day. I think my attitude towards the issue makes her insecure or something I just dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

had a meeting today with two of my work collegues and my manager about work contracts
    Not knowing what the meeting was about, is there a chance that said colleague wanted to gain something that she'd benefit from, but not you?

Advertisement