Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra subject, by yourself?

• 14-09-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

I'm in 5th year, doing 7 subject (6 higher) and LCVP. I really want/need high points in the LC, so I think a 7th HL subject would be necessary in case of a mess up on the day! (due to HL maths, I only have one class of lcvp a week, so I prob wont get a distinction so it will prob not be a good fall back!)

I know people say ''just work harder on the other subjects'' but I really don't think 7 HL subjects is too much work!

I'm fairly bright, did well in JC ..lets just say without burning myself out with study! :P Subjects I'm doing ATM. Are;
    Irish - OL
    English - HL
    Maths - HL
    Physics - HL
    French - HL
    Accounting - HL
    Business - HL
    LCVP

Looking at my subjects a lot would prob suggest economics (as I do bus/acc) or Applied Maths (as I do physics/hl maths) But I honestly don't think I would have an interest in economics and I'm not up for another subject involving maths.

So, (Very) Long post, short, any kinda essay based subject that are easy enough to self teach and receive a high B/A? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

I would suggest religion.. mainly essay based, course isn't too long

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Classof2013

Are you joking? Religion is an extremely long course filled with detail, it's something you'd need to be taught. I don't think you could do it on your own as the text books don't give much detail at all and don't even cover all the topics. You would also have to do a project so I wouldn't suggest it. What about Classical Studies or why not Economics? You might find it boring but it's a relatively short course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

My advice is do business outside school (i did this, really only started into it in LC and got an a1) and do a different subject in school like home ec or biology. I cant think of a better subject more suited to at-home learning than business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Well, if you plan on doing an extra subject I say drop LCVP (as you said you don't plan on getting a distinction), and 9 subjects seems like too much. I don't have much of an interest in Economics yet i'm doing it by myself, just to get the points. Fairly short course and could be handy points if the test goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

Are you joking? Religion is an extremely long course filled with detail, it's something you'd need to be taught. I don't think you could do it on your own as the text books don't give much detail at all and don't even cover all the topics. You would also have to do a project so I wouldn't suggest it. What about Classical Studies or why not Economics? You might find it boring but it's a relatively short course :)

I was thinking of doing classical studies, I heard you have to read two books as well (which is not a problem) But I can't find much info on it online >< It seems really interesting though, and not too complicated.
    The reason why not economics is because I already do business and accounting and really can't handle another similar subject to them:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Hi, did my leaving 4 years ago and took up History of all things in November before the Leaving as an extra subject, with grinds once a week outside of school. I couldn't do it initially as it clashed with my only science subject on our timetable.
    I ended up skipping the mock as I hadn't much of the course covered by February. Big mistake!! In the actual test I didnt leave enough time on the final question and ended up with a B1:(
    Overall though I found it entirely manageable and I am far from studious! Although it helped that History was my favourite subject.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Hi, did my leaving 4 years ago and took up History of all things in November before the Leaving as an extra subject, with grinds once a week outside of school. I couldn't do it initially as it clashed with my only science subject on our timetable.
    I ended up skipping the mock as I hadn't much of the course covered by February. Big mistake!! In the actual test I didnt leave enough time on the final question and ended up with a B1:(
    Overall though I found it entirely manageable and I am far from studious! Although it helped that History was my favourite subject.

I'm thinking of doing History at home but people are telling me there's so much essays and everything that you can't do it alone. I can't get grinds :(

0000879k wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing classical studies, I heard you have to read two books as well (which is not a problem) But I can't find much info on it online >< It seems really interesting though, and not too complicated.
    The reason why not economics is because I already do business and accounting and really can't handle another similar subject to them:p

Oh right I understand :) I'm the same, I'd LOVE to do Classical Studies however I'm already doing nine subjects, two of them I'm teaching to myself :o but I really am considering Classical Studies, it looks SO interesting :) I find it very difficult to find information on it too :/ why not put up a new thread and ask for people's help who took it up last year? :)

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing History at home but people are telling me there's so much essays and everything that you can't do it alone. I can't get grinds :(

I'd really stay clear of it. I'm doing it in school and I really love History. With the project and intense detail needed for the subject I wouldn't bother. Why not Economics?

Taking it that late in the Leaving and getting a B1 is seriously impressive!

• Advertisement

I'd really stay clear of it. I'm doing it in school and I really love History. With the project and intense detail needed for the subject I wouldn't bother. Why not Economics?

Well..I love History too and yeah that's what everyone's telling me

And Economics, cos with History I can always get help from teachers at school (I get along well with all of them) but we don't have Home Ec or any subjects like that (Except Art and Business) and I haven't even got a clue what it teaches..:o Yeah I'm really deprived..

Well..I love History too and yeah that's what everyone's telling me

And Economics, cos with History I can always get help from teachers at school (I get along well with all of them) but we don't have Home Ec or any subjects like that (Except Art and Business) and I haven't even got a clue what it teaches..:o Yeah I'm really deprived..

Oh I see! Well if you get help from teachers why not go for it! It's a lot to take on but go for it if interests you :)

And you're a pilot now? I shall follow in your footsteps :pac:
    Oh I see! Well if you get help from teachers why not go for it! It's a lot to take on but go for it if interests you :)

Thanks :) Might get to drop Irish so that'll definitely give me some space to work with

OP, your best bet is Classical Studies, it really seems to interest you. Economics might be too much if you're already doing Business and Accounting in school. I've seen 3 similar subjects wreck people's heads :P (like 3 sciences) But some say they go hand in hand..

I'm really tempted to get all the books this week and pick up Classical Studies..is it possible to do in one year with lots of hard work? I already do history and religion as well so I could get one of my teachers to correct my essays for me :)

I'm really tempted to get all the books this week and pick up Classical Studies..is it possible to do in one year with lots of hard work? I already do history and religion as well so I could get one of my teachers to correct my essays for me :)

10 subjects do seem like a lot of work. Especially when you have no teacher for 3 of them :eek: You're already in 6th year now right?

10 subjects do seem like a lot of work. Especially when you have no teacher for 3 of them :eek: You're already in 6th year now right?

I know..i'm kind of crazy like that :o Yep I am.

I know..i'm kind of crazy like that :o Yep I am.

Good luck to you :eek: Well there goes a year of your social life :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

The one thing I have to say to anyone considering doing a subject outside of school is that you have to be interested in them! Do NOT pick what is perceived as an "easier" option! Trust me, after a few months (or even weeks) of studying a subject on your own you will just give up or barely work at it if you're not interested in it! You need to enjoy the subject or when the work pace really starts to pick up in all your subjects, you will have no motivation to study your extra subject(s)!
    I did Religion and Business on my own:
    RE because I am fascinated by philosophy, ancient and world religions, and my school didn't offer LC RE as an option but I really wanted to do it! :) Trust me though, if you want to do RE on your own it is a LOOOT of hard work! The textbooks only give enough detail to pass so you'll be writing essays for every outcome on the syllabus from the book and a lot of online resources! Also there's a project for which you need to be prepared to research intensively for, learn how to reference sources, think critically etc. I'd recommend www.ress.ie as a great source of extra notes! :)
    Business because it was one of my favourite subjects (along with Geog and RE) but there was a bit of a timetable clash in my school ( and at the time I thought I'd be doing something sciencey in college and that I'd need biology!) Business is easier to study on your own than RE but again you NEED to be interested in it or you will give up! The marking scheme is VERY specific in business too so you'll have to get used to it/ do lots of past papers etc.!

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do! :D And please don't let people convince you (as many almost did with me) that you can't do well without a proper teacher or that doing an extra subject will affect your other subjects! If you are prepared to work a bit harder it won't at all! :) I got A1s in both my extras so it is possible to get very high marks without a teacher! Good luck with your LC and don't stress out too much, it's a bit over-hyped and isn't as difficult as many say! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 life after school

I would agree with some of the posts that say an interest in the subject if working on it outside of school is a must.

Don't be afraid to discuss the subject with the people who actually are taking it in your school. Maybe suggest spending a little time working on the subject together. In the beginning they may not see the point but when exams and essays come up they may be more receptive.

Finally some discussion with the teacher about it and asking for some guidance on what you are doing seems like a no-brainer.

I have known people in the past who took geography as an outside subject and did well in it though they were not overly studious and began it only in sixth year.

Good luck with the decision anyway

Advertisement