Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studio spaces in the city

Options
  • 15-09-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has heard of any studios in the city centre going lately? I'm not looking to get involved in any collectives or anything, I just need somewhere to do my work!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

Have you tried the old Fás building or the sculpture factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Have you tried the old Fás building or the sculpture factory?

I would have said the same thing. My buddy has a recording studio there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Room 201

cantdecide wrote: »
    I would have said the same thing. My buddy has a recording studio there.

Hey buddy... not seen you in ages, all recovered yet?

I sure do have a recording studio there, have a look at my soundcloud for examples of work and contact details.

In response to the OP, check out sample studios online, we have about half of the old government buildings on sullivans quay set up with studio spaces for artists of all inclination.
    If your interested i'd recommend getting an online application in asap, we've quite a long waiting list depending on the artists requirements. Don't call in without arranging an appointment first though, these are private studio spaces and we're a non profit plc with (very hard working) volunteer staffing by members so we can't guarantee the admin folk would be around to meet you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

That's great, thanks for the feedback guys, I'll check out youe website Room 201!

Room 201 wrote: »
    Hey buddy... not seen you in ages, all recovered yet?

HAHA!! How's it going buddy?? I've been meaning to look you up since I got back. Ya. Got the arm stitched back on and feeling better all the time! I'll give you a buzz tomorrow. We're long overdue a coffee and a catch up :):):)

@OP: sorry about the hijack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Sample studios (the old fás building) - best choice imo www.sample-studios.com
    Singers Corner
    There's also a place down Douglas St opposite the Spar, unsure how to contact them though

Thanks Kold, is Singers Corner still going!? I've heard it very cold and expensive but maybe I'll try and knock up there sometime in case it's gotten better! I looked into Samples alright, it looks like a fantastic space/group but I don't think it's suited to me. I just need a space to make run my jewellery and dress-making business from, I'm not an artist so it's hard to find a spot where I don't feel I need to get involved in exhibitions, workshops etc..

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Thanks Kold, is Singers Corner still going!? I've heard it very cold and expensive but maybe I'll try and knock up there sometime in case it's gotten better! I looked into Samples alright, it looks like a fantastic space/group but I don't think it's suited to me. I just need a space to make run my jewellery and dress-making business from, I'm not an artist so it's hard to find a spot where I don't feel I need to get involved in exhibitions, workshops etc..

Have you thought about asking the commercial lettings agents? Having spoken with one or two in the last few weeks, I have a feeling that there are a lot of small properties out there for grabs for next to no money or businesses out there with a little extra space since the downturn.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Have you thought about asking the commercial lettings agents? Having spoken with one or two in the last few weeks, I have a feeling that there are a lot of small properties out there for grabs for next to no money or businesses out there with a little extra space since the downturn.

That's an idea, I haven't looked into it lately, I did about a year ago with some friends and they were still pretty beyond us at the time, even the small ones but maybe things have gotten better! Definately worth reconsidering, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Room 201

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    That's an idea, I haven't looked into it lately, I did about a year ago with some friends and they were still pretty beyond us at the time, even the small ones but maybe things have gotten better! Definately worth reconsidering, thanks :)

Before Sample Studios kicked off I was looking at the same option with some other music-y/engineer type pals. Bout 3 of us had recording stuff in our spare rooms and were looking to pool resources in an industrial unit. Didn't happen in the end, I'm the only one still in cork, but we were out to see pretty large places out around bishopstown area for about €500 a month.
    That's fairly affordable with a group of ye, particularly as they were in industrial estates so ye'd get away without paying rates.

I've also heard of people getting otherwise idle units around the city rent free, just paying the rates and utilities for the owners and keeping the buildings occupied and in good condition.

• Advertisement

Room 201 wrote: »
    Before Sample Studios kicked off I was looking at the same option with some other music-y/engineer type pals. Bout 3 of us had recording stuff in our spare rooms and were looking to pool resources in an industrial unit. Didn't happen in the end, I'm the only one still in cork, but we were out to see pretty large places out around bishopstown area for about €500 a month.
    That's fairly affordable with a group of ye, particularly as they were in industrial estates so ye'd get away without paying rates.

I've also heard of people getting otherwise idle units around the city rent free, just paying the rates and utilities for the owners and keeping the buildings occupied and in good condition.

Ah ok, that makes sense, we were looking around the city centre! I never considered looking around Bishopstown, although I am asking around Tivoli where I live alright. That's interesting about the idle units, I must start keeping my eye out for empty spots, thanks!

Advertisement